Tomcat build

grobber

Hi All

A Newby here. I figured I would jump in with a tomcat build that I am starting

I will be using a Hasegawa f-14, Aries cockpit. Blackbox update set and fightertown decals

DSC_0002.jpg

First time building one of these, that is a lot of sprues

DSC_0003.jpg

Cool. I'll be following along with you, I hope to tackle a Tomcat sometime in the future.

this will be nice. im not a fan of jet power aircraft but it will be nice to watch

That looks like a good kit grobber. Now exactly where in that bird did they fit the Rolls Royce Merlin engine and Propeller? :p ;)
Good luck with the build. We will look forward to seeing her come together.

Quaralane said:
What scale is that one? Looks like it'll be a good build

1/48

Ok so I am underway with my tomcat build, first time I have taken a stab at one of these and to make my life “easier” I am throwing in an Aires Cockpit. No do not get me wrong it looks beautiful with really rich details, but from what I have read and my dry fitting it is going to be a tight squeeze.
So I start out with the front fuselage, these is some gorgeous detail on the top of the cock pit, I guess where the canopy locks so the top ridge on the fuselage need to go.

a1.jpg

a4.jpg

This sort of shows a before and after

a3.jpg

Next the tub of the cockpit, look and the beautiful RIO panel

a6.jpg

Pretty huh?

So I start looking some references guess what at some point the F-14B’s where updated and they this square panel. Like this.

a7.jpg

What’s a boy to do, I could pretend I did not see it but I have AMS and a black box bombcat update that has this piece. So what I need to do is somehow merge these pieces. So I get this idea have you ever seen the movie Faceoff? Basically John Travolta and Nick Cage swap faces. I cut off the Joystick thing for later

a8.jpg

Then do the “face off”

a9.jpg

The lovely round radar screen was removed and voila

a10.jpg

Next cockpit painting, here are the pics

a11.jpg

a12.jpg

a13.jpg

a14.jpg

a15.jpg

a16.jpg

a17.jpg

Later back to do some modelling

Rob

Great work on that cockpit. At first I thought it was PE for the instruments.

WOW, Thats a busy looking cockpit !!!...great work ,and nice job with the face off thing ;D

Chris.

All you'd have to do is drop a little goose and maverick in there and I'd be fooled!

great job

Ok next installment on the Tomcat. Last I left this I had just painting up the cockpit next the minor detail of fitting that thing in, think of it like a size 11 foot in a size 8 shoe. So before I started I got the front wheel well together, get all my obstructions together.

b1.jpg

After bunch of sanding grinding and a bit of cursing everything came together more or less

b3.jpg

A couple of gaps in the front and back

b5.jpg

b4.jpg

After a bit of filling and grinding here we go.

b11.jpg

Now the main fuselage, before moving ahead with this we need to build up the intakes the involve eliminating some gaps and ejector pin marks

b2.jpg

b7.jpg

To help the intakes fit to the fuselage I added some plastic to act a guide overall it worked well

b12.jpg

I am happy to say the intakes did not need any putty however the rest of the fuselage will

b9.jpg

Next mating the front and back fuselage I have heard horror stories about this and dry fitting things did not look good. One thing I realized is the back of the front piece is solid. If I cut this out I could add some guides help with the fit

b14.jpg

b13.jpg

I went this route and overall not a bad fit, it will need a bit of putty and sanding but not too bad

b17.jpg

b18.jpg

Last bit did the wing they are a little over engineered but not too bad to put together

b16.jpg

Rob

Latest posts

Back