Solaria Flight-Twin Moebius Mk 7 Vipers--Finished

Re: Solaria Flight-Twin Moebius Mk 7 Vipers

--smiles--
Thanks, Solander.
I wanted something with more 'pop' than the normal, dull, grey

I used that krylon grey primer on my Y-Wing build. Its sturdy as hell but the model was soo big that the mist from that heavy krylon left lumps everywhere that i had to wet sand. ugh. Its probably great for smaller kits though sparingly. I just use PlastiKote usually Its thinner and loses no detail and is like $4 a large spray can.

Wound up using the krylon because my local Wal-Mart ran out of their normal el-cheapo brand.
Decided I like the color for the Krylon better

More of the main painting gets done.
This was all masked off, and then painted by hand.
Red areas along the front of the fuselage
moe-viper-mk7-23.jpg

Red areas on the upper fuselage
moe-viper-mk7-24.jpg

Gold areas added to the upper fuselage
moe-viper-mk7-25.jpg

Youtube link:
Solaria Flight-Part 7

Nice work so far, I still don't know how you use the electrical tape, but it works for you, so keep at it!

Nice! why no airbrush ever? I really really love the tamiya tape. i have all sizes and if it ever bleeds it was my own fault for not nibbing down on the tape to seal. but if i ever run out of that i may try the electrical tape method!

Looks really good, Q. I think those colours work really well on the Viper.

Thanks, guys.

@punkpigpen,
Truth be told? I haven't started using an airbrush because I haven't gone through and set mine up.
Just lazy, I guess..

That, and the only place I can really spray is out on the porch

you can paint with tamiya or vallejo acrylics indoors with your airbrush in comfort in your workshop! i use windex or alcohol to thin but you can use distilled water with zero fumes. WIN for Quaralane!

It's not the fumes, it's the overspray possibilities, actually.
I don't have a lot of space to work with as the room I work in doubles as my bedroom.

makes sense. with your airbrush on lower PSI the over spray is barely an issue. see the sppeder markings i did? the tape border was only one inch and it didnt overspray at all

I really wish some of us lived closer so i could come over and show ya. or we could all hang out and share tips...or talk about girls..whatever.

I agree with PpP on all counts. Once you get use to the airbrush, there is very little over spray if you are careful.

And it would be nice to have a little get together and discuss models.

I'll agree that it would be very nice.

And, eventually, I'll take the plunge on the airbrush.

When I bought my first airbrush, I've been using for a while a box in which the compressor came as a kind of painting chamber, with no oversprayings all around at all. Of coarse, as there are no outtaking vans in such a "painting chamber" it requires using acrylic paints, thinned with water, and a breathing mask, but there is an almost no cost for a pleasure of working with an airbrush.

Its real fun to use when you get use to it. and you save alot of money on paint. But if you spray enamels or laquer you'll need adequate ventilation.

I think this model is looking great Q, and your handbrushing skills are good so you can get away with using Vallejo paints (like on your pappys bird etc), but I would love to use my airbrush indoors but my girlfriend would freak out, when I get bigger digs I will defo spray vallejo indoors. And I'v gotta travel quite a way to go for that pint and talk about girls! Skype maybe... and I'll pour my own Beer!

If I remember correctly, you do have a airbrush, I say break it out and play with food coloring and water. You will see how much over spray there really is. Food coloring as long as your careful won't hurt a thing.

This is the method I used to learn how to control the airbrush. Now if you were Nelly, you won't need this at all. She seemed to pick it up like it was a natural skill.

Latest posts

Back