Moebius's Viper they can't call an "egg".

Eagle-1

As I mentioned in the "Let me EGG-splain" thread of the Y (Yolk)-Wing fighter from Star Wars I've started, that came with a Cylon Raider I purchased from the new series of Battlestar Galactica. It's a Moebius "Super-Deformed" Mark II Viper. (They couldn't call it an "egg" because Hasegawa has that line) but is most certainly an egg type model. I bought the Raider to fight with this:

DSCN0165-50.jpg
DSCN0542.jpg

Here's what you get in the box:

DSCN0166.jpg
DSCN0168.jpg
DSCN0169.jpg

As per my usual, I plan to modify this a little to add some details from the Viper from the show. It'll still be an egg, show it will never be 100%, but I hope look a little better on display.

Rob.

Here's more what I wanted this one to resemble:

Viper Mark II.jpg

I started out by modifying the wings just a tad. They needed a little reshaping and some material added here and there. The guns didn't line up exactly like they are on the show Viper, so some alignment had to be tweaked as well, so I removed the lasers.

Here's that effort:

DSCN0173.jpg
DSCN0173added.jpg

Original box wings:

DSCN0175.jpg

My hacked up wings:

DSCN0178.jpg

They way they was:

DSCN0178a.jpg

They way the will be:

DSCN0179.jpg

I think they came out alright?

Rob.

Next, lookin' down the sucky-inny part of the intakes, they are much more recessed on the show thatn this model, so I gave 'em a little more scoop.

Stock:

DSCN0181.jpg

More scoop. I also added that little pointy nub thingy.

DSCN0182.jpg

Although barely noticable, I gave each blade an angle that they didn't have before.

DSCN0183.jpg

Moving right along.

Rob.

There is a much more recessed engine hole with a fair amount of detail inside that looks nice on the show Viper. Wanting to add some of that later, I removed the original section so that I could fix something in there later. That hole is in a little different place on the show Viper, so I adjusted that too. Also here, you can see I've removed the engine vane ring so that I can help those out later too.

DSCN0184.jpg

Rob.

The nose needed some help too. On the show Viper, it's more open and those indentions surrounding it aren't present, so I did that to the model part.

Stock:

DSCN0185.jpg

After a couple hours of drillin', whittlin', fillin' and strip addin':

DSCN0186.jpg
DSCN0187.jpg

Now it can breath through it's nose!

Rob.

Getting ready to start putting left and right sections together, I, as a rule, usually remove any locater pins and nubs. It helps me get a perfect alignment and I hear folks mention how bad these usually are, so I always get rid of them:

DSCN0172.jpg

Rob.

Aligning the two halves of the fuselage, the ramp running down the front of the nose needed to be taken way down to match the studio:

DSCN0188.jpg
DSCN0189.jpg

So, I lowered it:

DSCN0192.jpg
DSCN0193.jpg
DSCN0194.jpg

I hated to do it, but sometimes you gotta break some eggs.

Rob.

The tail fin didn't match a "real" Viper neither.

DSCN0195.jpg

Added a few bits of styrene and spot/glaze putty for more holes that ain't there and had to do some sanding and smoothing.

DSCN0196.jpg

Closer to what's needed here I think.

Rob.

Next up was the rear section and engine cans.

Stock:
DSCN0197.jpg
DSCN0198.jpg

There is a fair amount of doodlies and grubicles on the studio Viper that I wanted to add, so this had to come apart so I could check the rings and valve lashes and see if I can get more compression!

DSCN0199.jpg
Biggest mods so far:
DSCN0200.jpg
This oughta work?
DSCN0201.jpg
DSCN0202.jpg
DSCN0203.jpg

As can be seen in a couple of those last pictures, along with the cans, I have had to modify most of the back end. I will also be adding some depth back here seen in the show too, so the end section had to be carved out.

Rob.

As one of the last things I've done before taking a break from this, the canopy was solid in the kit and I want it open with some clear windows, so I had to do more cuttin'. In these last couple shots, I have also removed the material from the upper intake and I'll be fitting some more appropriate mesh type stuff.

DSCN0204.jpg
DSCN0205.jpg
DSCN0206.jpg

Now, I'm thinkin' all this will look better and even though still an "egg" build, if nothing else, it will end up better on display than box stock. Opinions, comments and critique are always welcome for whatever I'm doing, so y'all speak up.

This is where I'm at on this one. There may not be many who have seen this particular kit as many have said they've never even heard of it, but if anyone has, please drop what you've done to your build in here. It all helps!

Rob.

Thank you Mr. blakeh1!

Nah. Just shootin' from the hip. As with most of my builds, I generally figure sumthin' out I wanted to do just after the glue sets.

Or, just after I post a picture.

:oops:

Rob.

As one of the last things I've done before taking a break from this, the canopy was solid in the kit and I want it open with some clear windows, so I had to do more cuttin'. In these last couple shots, I have also removed the material from the upper intake and I'll be fitting some more appropriate mesh type stuff.

View attachment 114486
View attachment 114487
View attachment 114488

Now, I'm thinkin' all this will look better and even though still an "egg" build, if nothing else, it will end up better on display than box stock. Opinions, comments and critique are always welcome for whatever I'm doing, so y'all speak up.

This is where I'm at on this one. There may not be many who have seen this particular kit as many have said they've never even heard of it, but if anyone has, please drop what you've done to your build in here. It all helps!

Rob.
I like the mods. Really good work.

Alright y'all...

As I said a day or two ago, after I posted some of what I was doing to this build, I got to looking at it and decided to do a little more doo-dags and snubly nub addin'. This is y'all's fault, this thing was tucked away where it's been for some time now and I figured it was time.

Just to catch up a little, here's a couple I never posted from earlier before I put this on the side for awhile:

DSCN0632.jpg
DSCN0634.jpg
DSCN0635.jpg
DSCN0636.jpg
DSCN0641.jpg

Those are actually where it was last time I worked on it.

On a couple of the pictures I saw, There are some kinda holes on the bottom? Possibly vent holes? Trash ejectors for gum wrapper type things? Poo? I don't know, but I like 'em and added 'em'

DSCN0633.jpg

I have to make another post, there is a 10 picture limit.

Rob.

This update, I needed to concentrate on the back/rear end on that section all up in between the engines. Doing a little searching, I found a couple different arrangements back there, but I chose this one:

rear.jpg

Why I chose that one to go by, I don't know, but it's too late now. Even going with that one, I didn't stick 100% to what we can almost see there. Using that though, I cobbled this together. Again, the stock rear as it comes outta the box:

DSCN0170.jpg

Here's my interpretation of that:

DSCN0637.jpg
DSCN0638.jpg
DSCN0639.jpg
DSCN0640.jpg

If anything looks janky or loose or looks like it may be falling off, it very well may. I've very loosely glued it together (to be able to pop it all back apart) so that I could take pictures and posted these for y'all to check out and give me some feedback/critique/criticisms/comments and suggestions of any kind. It's getting close, but I could still change/modify whatever y'all come up with I oughta, so hollar!

Rob.

This update, I needed to concentrate on the back/rear end on that section all up in between the engines. Doing a little searching, I found a couple different arrangements back there, but I chose this one:

View attachment 114564

Why I chose that one to go by, I don't know, but it's too late now. Even going with that one, I didn't stick 100% to what we can almost see there. Using that though, I cobbled this together. Again, the stock rear as it comes outta the box:

View attachment 114565

Here's my interpretation of that:

View attachment 114566
View attachment 114567
View attachment 114568
View attachment 114569

If anything looks janky or loose or looks like it may be falling off, it very well may. I've very loosely glued it together (to be able to pop it all back apart) so that I could take pictures and posted these for y'all to check out and give me some feedback/critique/criticisms/comments and suggestions of any kind. It's getting close, but I could still change/modify whatever y'all come up with I oughta, so hollar!

Rob.
I am liking this build alot, can't wait to see the next installment. Pantherman

Latest posts

Back