BSG Original Series Viper

ohbejuan

Since I was already working on 5 kits, I figured why not start another one?

Moebius version of the original BSG Viper. With Photo Etch and lighting. I love photo etch. Super glue is super easy to work with. I did not cut myself once. We have always been at war with Eurasia.

IMG_3485.jpeg

IMG_3477.jpeg

IMG_3492.jpeg

IMG_3493.jpeg

Ok I have primed the inside of a model and painted it with a coat of silver. I also started adding the films to the cockpit. It is going... ok. My cut out were a bit rough, and I am paying for it now. But it looks like it might work!

IMG_3597.jpeg

IMG_3592.jpeg

had a friend who is good with wiring help me out. Turns out I needed MORE light blocking.

Attachments

• IMG_3604.jpeg
    IMG_3604.jpeg
    332.9 KB · Views: 4
Is the aperature of the camera making it seem brighter than it actually does (which so often happens), or do you need to use a resistor?

Great question! Yes the camera makes it seem super bright.
Yeah, I mention that because I had a couple of conversations with Jerry from HDA Modelworx and he said that too often, modelers overlook that detail and the cockpit ends up too bright and not properly to-scale. I made that mistake myself by using a weakened battery to test out a starfighter, before I bought a power supply. Oops!

Yeah, I mention that because I had a couple of conversations with Jerry from HDA Modelworx and he said that too often, modelers overlook that detail and the cockpit ends up too bright and not properly to-scale. I made that mistake myself by using a weakened battery to test out a starfighter, before I bought a power supply. Oops!
I appreciate the advice! This is my first time lighting a model so it helps. I did do a bunch of test fits to get the led placed just right. I was surprised by how much difference the interior paint made. There spots I painted black to reduce reflectivity and parts I painted gloss white to improve it. This would have all been easier if there were not holes for the pilot’s feet at the bottom of the cockpit. Next up? Lighting the engines.

It's been a few years ago, but we had a great conversation on the Starship Modeler forum exploring the pros and cons between the Moebius and Revell's anniversary Viper kits. (Unfortunately, that conversation disappeared along with every other great conversation on that forum. Kilobytes don't grow on trees, you know?) As great as the Moebius kit is, it overlooks some details. One of which is the leg computer on the pilot. I have both kits and while I haven't really touched either one, I plan to recreate the leg computer with using clear plastic putty (Oyumaru) and UV resin. I'll lightblock it, then scrape away the buttons I wish to have lit up. I've channeled out the Revell pilot's right leg with a hole popping up where the leg computer will go. From there I shall insert an SMD and have it attached to the underside of the leg computer, then secure it into place.

Crap... maybe I should just start on my project this summer?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back