My original MPC Millennium Falcon build...with mods!

Captain Han Solo

I thought I had thrown this in the trash long ago, but the recent posts about the rerelease of this kit with corrections had me check my storage area.
My modified MPC original issue 1/87 Star Wars Millennium Falcon.
What I did…
Completely scratch built cockpit and cockpit tube.
"Cool shade" added around cockpit tube and rear exhaust vents.
Airbrushed totally with Floquil paints
Side panels lowered and replaced with resin parts.
Detailed docking rings.

3RM0HZ.jpg
YxpnkJ.jpg
fYv3yH.jpg
0G79Ys.jpg

The re-issued kit is looking rather nice, with a better-sized radar dish, better side walls, etc. The Han and Chewbacca figures look great, but they dropped the ball on providing a better-detailed cockpit interior. I suppose this will provide Paragrafix and Shapeways some income for aftermarket support.

Oh this brings back memories of the old modding days. I did alot of SW stuff and we had several people just dedicated to lore and they would tell us we were .0002 MM off, or it needed .01 % more yellow in the color................. Im precise, but SW nuts are a whole new level.

Some of the SW nuts can be rather annoying. If the proportions are not exactly perfect, then they pitch a fit. Their attitude is tiresome. I have had a lot of fun with less-accurate kits and adding detail to them with additional styrene and such.

I'm working on the FM 1:144 Falcon kit myself. I've been slowly working on it for the past few years as I rarely ever finish kits so quickly. With this kit, I am adding the photoetch parts for the exhaust ports on the back deck and for the engines, which comes with a corresponding clear part for lighting the engines. I bought these from Starship Modeler. I'll share pictures of it when I am done. Nothing too fancy with the cockpit. I'll just have a single UV SMD which will hopefully pick up on the fluorescent white paint. HDA Modelworx has decals for the cockpit interior, which I do hope will pick up the UV light to make the buttons and such appear to glow. I hope...

While not as accurate detail/shape wise as many might prefer, I think the paint job is the part that really makes or breaks the model

I love the old MPC Flacon warts and all, and with a skilled paint job and a few details added here and there it really comes out as a nice looking display piece that looks the part

excellent work

I thought I had thrown this in the trash long ago, but the recent posts about the rerelease of this kit with corrections had me check my storage area.
My modified MPC original issue 1/87 Star Wars Millennium Falcon.
What I did…
Completely scratch built cockpit and cockpit tube.
"Cool shade" added around cockpit tube and rear exhaust vents.
Airbrushed totally with Floquil paints
Side panels lowered and replaced with resin parts.
Detailed docking rings.

View attachment 101998
View attachment 101999
View attachment 102000
View attachment 102001
I love the additions! great detail.

Latest posts

Back