So I built a paint rack...

Hi ya folks,
I've been out of action with a bit of an injury but things seem to be sorted now. Anyhow, I got inspired to build my paint rack after seeing this post. I already had the bits..just needed to assemble. Here she is...
cheers
FW190
p.s. That Typhoon on the bench was going to be my entry into the Spring Contest until I hurt myself. I got that far and then couldn't do anymore for two months dang it! Oh well, maybe I will be right for the Navy / Marine Group Build with another kit.

[attachment deleted by admin]

FW190A-8 said:
Hi ya folks,
I've been out of action with a bit of an injury but things seem to be sorted now. Anyhow, I got inspired to build my paint rack after seeing this post. I already had the bits..just needed to assemble. Here she is...
cheers
FW190

Looks quite nice. And it's not just the fighter I'm talking about... ;)

FW190A-8 said:
Hi ya folks,
cheers
FW190
p.s. That Typhoon on the bench was going to be my entry into the Spring Contest until I hurt myself. I got that far and then couldn't do anymore for two months dang it! Oh well, maybe I will be right for the Navy / Marine Group Build with another kit.

That's a nice job, both on the rack and on the Tiffy!

Everyone's shown some really great designs. I'm still wavering on building one, on the point of whether I need to keep my paints mobile or not. I do take them to a couple of shows during the year, so I'm stuck trying to decide whether to build a new rack fixed to my bench, and just throw everything in a box when necessary, or to replace my current toolbox with a larger one, that can hold all of the bottles (forget about the spray cans), and just work out of that.

This is why it takes me so long to finish a kit, I wind up overthinking everything....

Going back to the pics in my original post, mine is freestanding. A handle on top and piece of 1/8" clipped over the front of it would make it not only portable, but handy at your next show! :)

Thanks Baron. I love the Tiffy. It looks so mean and business like. It looks like it is ready to take on the world even when it is just standing still. It's that aggressive stance and huge chin that make it look so tough.

Airmedical - I use the foam pad to protect the painted surfaces until I get to put the undercarriage on. It works a treat and keeps the paint nice and safe. Well thats the theory anyhow.

Making this type of rack mobile should be as easy as having a simple handle on top and a slip over solid cover that keeps the paint bottles from falling out. I guess your design depends on where the paints will be used most. For me, I am 99% at my bench. So the cover idea would work for me. If you go mobile alot then a different design may suit you more. At any rate, let us see what you come up with when you are done Baron.
cheers,
FW190

Came across this forum after watching a youtube video and happened to see this thread while browsing around last month. It got the wheels turning in my head to build a paint rack to free up some room.

The dimensions of my rack were predetermined by the size of the dresser that is in front of my desk which also acts as the backing of my rack. Even though I only have one bottle of Vallejo I spaced out each shelf tall enough to fit vallejo bottles should I ever get more in the future. The wood is all pine and it took me a whole afternoon to build mine (no hour build here!). Though I should note that it took me forever because the pine I used wasn't as smooth as I wanted so I had to sand it all down by hand which took the lion's share of time.

The metal bar idea I stole from Planetjoe10 (on page 2). Living in earthquake country I kinda need them. The rack is also bolted to the dresser which itself is secured to the floor but the weight of the rack rests on my desk.

Oddly enough the dimensions of the rack worked out perfect in that exactly 4 rows holds the entire range of Mr. Hobby acrylics (96 bottles I think). Sadly the rack wasn't big enough for all my paints. My Tamiya Enamels and acrylics sit in a desk drawer and the lacquer Mr Colors are in plastic containers. Every time I open my container of Mr color paints I get a good whiff of the solvent so it's probably best they stay in the plastic containers.

My modeling desk is also my computer desk so in order to accommodate the rack better I went out and bought a vesa mount for my monitor so I can swing it out of the way if I need something behind it.

Here's the pics at last!

OrH4Gl.jpg

With the monitor in its normal position:

bPKLBl.jpg

Welcome to the Herd, Zemmix! I love your current avatar (the Flying Flapjack!)

Zemmix said:
...Sadly the rack wasn't big enough for all my paints. My Tamiya Enamels and acrylics sit in a desk drawer and the lacquer Mr Colors are in plastic containers.

I know the feeling. Isn't that a corollary to Murphy's Law? Something like, "If you increase your storage space, the amount of stuff you need to store will increase to exceed the new space". My dilemma is to build something that would hold everything, but be portable, too.

Looks good Zemmix. That one holds way more paint than mine. I need a new model room so I can buy more paint, more kits, more weathering stuff, more airbrushes another compressor.....etc
Good job.
cheers,
FW190 (John)

Latest posts

Back