ATOM Paint Reference

ohbejuan

Hello! I have been trying out the new ATOM paints from Ammo by Mig. I like them, but could not find a color reference for them. so I emailed the and they sent me the chart for retail display.

Attachments

• Triptico Colores ATOM low.pdf
    4 MB · Views: 14
Looks to me they’re war gaming colors but some colors are the same as Ammo Mig Jimenez military colors. I don’t use Mig Jimenez paints. I prefer AK Interactive Real Colors

I am not a fan f the normal Ammo colors either. But these ATOM paints are interesting. They work well at lower PSI, which is hard for acrylics.

I've been testing Migs mettalics for aircraft and the good thing is they spray at low pressures and look good. What I don't care for is the feel of the paint after it's on the model. It's got a tacky feel to it and after some handling it looks like small dots in places where the paint has come off. Saying that though I'm on a no primer kick so primer underneath may make a big difference with this paint. I just haven't tested that at this point, if I even do. More interested in building right now.

I finally got the opportunity to try out Mig of Jimenez’ ATOM Color line. I picked up a color Cold Grey (FS36628) for a project I’m working on - the undersides for the Uruguayan IA-58 Pucara kit. I also ordered their thinner as well.

It is self-leveling, has great coverage power and dries fast.

As you can see, the landing gear doors is painted Cold Grey. It is a very light grey. Camo Grey doesn’t even come close in color - too dark. Again, it looks white but it’s not even white. Very, very light grey.

My impression? It does say true as advertised, self-leveling, great coverage power, and dries fast. Yes, they can be used for handbrushing.

Thick similar to Testors enamel paint out of the bottle. Using their thinner is a must if using for the first time. I dare not test using lacquer, acrylic or enamel thinners for I don’t know how it will react. I hope one day to experiment using other thinners.

Their thinner is very stinky, similar to Mr. Color’s Surfacer primer. A respirator/mask is recommended.

As I said, this is my first time using Mig of Jimenez’s line of paint. Would I acquire more colors of this line of paint? Absolutely! They have Federal Standard colors no one else has.

778E68F3-9EAE-489D-A842-C62978DFEA4B.jpeg

EBB863E0-48DC-4B9F-822A-12871B205F94.jpeg

38715A64-EC9D-4F21-A27C-FCBAB1395445.jpeg

I finally got the opportunity to try out Mig of Jimenez’ ATOM Color line. I picked up a color Cold Grey (FS36628) for a project I’m working on - the undersides for the Uruguayan IA-58 Pucara kit. I also ordered their thinner as well.

It is self-leveling, has great coverage power and dries fast.

As you can see, the landing gear doors is painted Cold Grey. It is a very light grey. Camo Grey doesn’t even come close in color - too dark. Again, it looks white but it’s not even white. Very, very light grey.

My impression? It does say true as advertised, self-leveling, great coverage power, and dries fast. Yes, they can be used for handbrushing.

Thick similar to Testors enamel paint out of the bottle. Using their thinner is a must if using for the first time. I dare not test using lacquer, acrylic or enamel thinners for I don’t know how it will react. I hope one day to experiment using other thinners.

Their thinner is very stinky, similar to Mr. Color’s Surfacer primer. A respirator/mask is recommended.

As I said, this is my first time using Mig of Jimenez’s line of paint. Would I acquire more colors of this line of paint? Absolutely! They have Federal Standard colors no one else has.

View attachment 116520

View attachment 116521

View attachment 116522
I appreciate the detailed review. My experience has been good. I have been thinning it with Vallejo thinner and it seems to work ok

Latest posts

Back