Paint shakers, which one?

Sprue42

Hi I am new here and I posted an introduction on the intro. forum.

I am a returnee after many decades away from the hobby. Paint has changed a lot in that time and I have been looking at paint shakers. there seem to be several different types from hand-held things to desktop machines and others with holders that the jar/bottle is attached to. I would be interested to hear what you guys, with current experience, think of these machines and if you use them at all.

Ralph.

Hi I am new here and I posted an introduction on the intro. forum.

I am a returnee after many decades away from the hobby. Paint has changed a lot in that time and I have been looking at paint shakers. there seem to be several different types from hand-held things to desktop machines and others with holders that the jar/bottle is attached to. I would be interested to hear what you guys, with current experience, think of these machines and if you use them at all.

Ralph.
I have this one and works very well on the vallejo paint bottles I use. Little bit noisy but it's only on for 30-40 seconds. Pantherman

Screenshot_20240104_123905_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Don’t waste your money on those. I usually open the bottle, stir with a scrap sprue or wooden coffee stirrer stick, then reseal bottle before shaking.Those shakers aren’t going to release any sediments on the bottom.

I’ve been in this hobby for over 50 years. I’ve seen everything that are useless and a waste of money. Don’t get me started on those dehydrators or ultrasonic cleaners. Both are a big waste of money IMO….

Don’t waste your money on those. I usually open the bottle, stir with a scrap sprue or wooden coffee stirrer stick, then reseal bottle before shaking.Those shakers aren’t going to release any sediments on the bottom.

I’ve been in this hobby for over 50 years. I’ve seen everything that are useless and a waste of money. Don’t get me started on those dehydrators or ultrasonic cleaners. Both are a big waste of money IMO….
I usually tip the shaker both ways as it's shaking and always seems to mix the paint well. Pantherman

None.
If you have a saber saw/scroll saw, you can buy a pistol-grip clamp like this one:
1704395038955.png

You can get one whose rail will fit into the chuck of the saber saw. Then you clamp the jar into the jaws and let the saw's action shake the paint.

For additional effect, you can put a glass bead in the jar as an agitator. You can get those cheap at the arts & craft stores.

I will add, though, that I do much as BlackSheep does, and I just shake bottles by hand. For me, that's the simplest.

Thanks guys. I have always used an orbital sander to get the balls going in spray cans. But that seems a bit extreme on the small bottles. I think I will try shaking the paint and adding a couple of mixing balls for starters. I can always buy a shaker later, although I would like to see one being used first.

Ralph.

None.
If you have a saber saw/scroll saw, you can buy a pistol-grip clamp like this one:
View attachment 111497

You can get one whose rail will fit into the chuck of the saber saw. Then you clamp the jar into the jaws and let the saw's action shake the paint.

For additional effect, you can put a glass bead in the jar as an agitator. You can get those cheap at the arts & craft stores.
LOL ! I have seen folks use that method. It does work as long as the bottle don’t go flying out of its grip.

I have this one. Works great on little bottles. Even seems to help loosen the lid on the 10ml. Tamaiya bottles that I let get stuck. Doesn't help on the rattle cans.
1704671192275.png
Mini-Vortex. $40 on The Zon.

I have this one. Works great on little bottles. Even seems to help loosen the lid on the 10ml. Tamaiya bottles that I let get stuck. Doesn't help on the rattle cans.
View attachment 111948
Mini-Vortex. $40 on The Zon.
I have that thing .
It does work surprisingly well .
The only issue is that you're along for the ride . It shakes the bejeebus out of your hand .
Fortunately it works fast so you don't need to maltreat yourself for very long .

I have that thing .
It does work surprisingly well .
The only issue is that you're along for the ride . It shakes the bejeebus out of your hand .
Fortunately it works fast so you don't need to maltreat yourself for very long .
This is true about the hand. Apparently lab techs who use these things 8 hours a day can develop repetitive stress injuries. But I feel like mixing up a few paints now and then is safe. Ask me in 10 years I guess :)

Thanks guys. I have always used an orbital sander to get the balls going in spray cans. But that seems a bit extreme on the small bottles. I think I will try shaking the paint and adding a couple of mixing balls for starters. I can always buy a shaker later, although I would like to see one being used first.

Ralph.
I have those mixing bals too.
However, sometimes the paint is really thick, and takes a long time to get them shaking.

Latest posts

Back