Closest Paint Match to Oldsmobile's Platinum Poly (2059)

jnichel

Hi all, new to the forms. I just recently purchased the Revell 1971 Oldsmobile 442 Coupe kit and I'm trying to find a good match for how I want to paint it. When I was a kid, my father had a 1969 Olds 442 that he called the "Silver Bird" because it was painted in Oldsmobile Platinum Poly paint and I'd like to get as close to that color as possible. My issue is, I'm horrible at matching colors and was hoping there were some eyes here that could point me to the closest match. Attached is a sample of the Oldsmobile color.

platinum_poly.jpg

Welcome Aboard !

Are you looking for rattlecan paint or are you using an airbrush ?

Welcome Aboard !

Are you looking for rattlecan paint or are you using an airbrush ?

I'd prefer to use an airbrush, but if there's a better match in the spray can, I'm not opposed to it. Found places online where I can get the actual OEM color, but I don't know how that paint will work with plastic.

Call the guy at MCW finishes. I picked up a 67 442 kit from him a few weeks ago. I told him I was replicating the one I had in high school. White with black vinyl top. Hecwentbto the back and came out with the white paint and a textured black. The black on a spoon test looked very good as a vinyl top. Nice guy.

Hi all, new to the forms. I just recently purchased the Revell 1971 Oldsmobile 442 Coupe kit and I'm trying to find a good match for how I want to paint it. When I was a kid, my father had a 1969 Olds 442 that he called the "Silver Bird" because it was painted in Oldsmobile Platinum Poly paint and I'd like to get as close to that color as possible. My issue is, I'm horrible at matching colors and was hoping there were some eyes here that could point me to the closest match. Attached is a sample of the Oldsmobile color.

View attachment 116072
Hi and welcome to the forum. Pantherman

Latest posts

Back