So I built a paint rack...

Haggistom said:
Hi Guys

Just thought i would offer some suggestions for those who struggle for space.

I have put together a few different types of methods for holding your paints and nik-naks and brought them altogether at my desk.

The two outside frames are 6mm(¼") MDF cut into 100mm(4") strips and glued together with a hot glue gun. The background in a metal wipe board / notice board.

The top of the left hand frame is filled with 40mm(1¼") pvc pipe which is hot glued together and then glued to the frame at an angle.

Fixed to the bottom of the board with self tapping screws is 40mm X 16mm(1¼" x ¾") pvc trunking with the lid removed.

Hopefully this will give some people a few different options.

That said, how good do the Table Top Gaming Bunker ones look. I know if i knew they existed i would have been sorely tempted.

All the best

Tom

TOM,

THAT'S PRETTY NICE. YOU'RE JUST MISSING THE REFIGERATOR AND THE MICROWAVE. ;)

Excellent, Tom.
Now, if I could get one that's only about 5" high to run across my bench

Thank you for the plug Scott. I would also like to extend the $15.00 discount on hobby shelves permanently to SMA members. I am trying to get costs down, but since I am not mass producing them, the price has to be where it is. If anyone is interrested just send me a PM.

Wow those are some great designs!!! I like the modern look of Haggistom's rack.. Thing is slick. I figured I would put my rack out there for all to peak at. Nothing to write home about but everyone likes to get a look at a good rack :)

Joe F.

Here is my Bench I made:
DSC_0001.jpg

Here is the paint rack:
IMAG0087.jpg

It's all ya all's fault. I went ahead to Lowes picked up some wood, dug around in the garage in the wood scrap pile and made a shelf unit. When all was done. I found the top of my bench! :D
I did everything for just under $20USD.
Not the greatest picture.

Picturex56.jpg

I encourage anybody to do it. It won't take long at all. You'll be glad you did.
You guys encouraged me. I spent maybe less than hour and a half digging and building. It took longer to get everything organized.

Cheers

Airmedical said:
It's all ya all's fault. I went ahead to Lowes picked up some wood, dug around in the garage in the wood scrap pile and made a shelf unit. When all was done. I found the top of my bench! :D
I did everything for just under $20USD.
Not the greatest picture.

Picturex56.jpg

I encourage anybody to do it. It won't take long at all. You'll be glad you did.
You guys encouraged me. I spent maybe less than hour and a half digging and building. It took longer to get everything organized.

Cheers

So, I assume you like helicopters? ;)

Great stuff guys, would you be able to give me some rough dimensions that your working with?

Mine ended up being 36" wide, about 19" tall. 3-1/4" shelf spacing is perfect for Vallejo paint bottles (allow 1" on the shelves themselves per bottle). My bottom shelf spacing is 4-1/2" to accommodate the larger primer bottles (fits everything except the large cleaner bottle).

Wow thats sweet. My table is so cluttered right now with paints everywhere. I am going to have to make one of those in the next couple weeks.

Here's a link to a thread over at Agape Models about building a paint rack, that you might like to see, too:

http://agapemodels.com/forums/index.php?topic=3729.0

There is a post in the thread that refers to another forum and article about building a rack using peg board for the back, and bolts with wing nuts to make variable-width shelves. Unfortunately, that article is now 404'd, but you can see a picture of the builder's results in a photo that he included in his post. It was an interesting design.

Agape is a closed forum I think so that link wont work for everyone, you need to be a signed in registered member to see anything in the forums don't you?

My rack isn't nearly as nice as those posted here, I simply took some finish grade plywood cut offs from work. They were 2" rips and I had a handful of them, I simply cut to roughly the size I needed and nailed together with the finish gun.

RACK.jpg

ScaleModelMadman said:
Agape is a closed forum I think so that link wont work for everyone, you need to be a signed in registered member to see anything in the forums don't you?

Not sure; the registration process was temporarily shut down, to deal with a spam issue, but I think you should be able to access the pages as a visitor with view-only rights. Did you try the link? Let me know the result, please.

When I try the link I get the following:

"The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Please login below or register an account with AgapeModels.com Forums. "

im loving your work area Ken nice and clean the way it should be ;D

ScaleModelMadman said:
When I try the link I get the following:

"The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
Please login below or register an account with AgapeModels.com Forums. "

Hmm...sorry about that, then, guys, sorry for the tease! I do have another link, this time for this same subject, over at Planetfigure. I do think you'll be able to see this thread over there:

http://www.planetfigure.com/forums/showthread.php?p=430175#post430175

A paint rack built as a sandwich board, with wire for the shelving, very simple yet clever. The modeler is Swedish, so comparisons to designs by Scandanavian home furnishing giant Ikea do come to mind :)

Latest posts

Back