SMA MAGAZINE ANNOUNCEMENT

Ken Abrams said:
I think it'll be a little while, several weeks would be my guess?

The whole digital realm is a convoluted mess. You actually have to have your product 'approved' first and even then, after paying for it, the lead time is insanely slow from acceptance to availability.

f2k - Doesn't help you on a target date but certainly helps you understand to what hoops they need to jump through to get from point 'A' to point 'B'. I am sure as soon as Ken/Scott get an solid date on they will pop it up.

We don't have a solid date yet. It will be well into the new year however. Pocketmags needs to create the app / in progress, then Apple needs to approve it. It's out of our hands at this point.

Silly me then - I would have through it was just a matter of pressing the Print To PDF button.

Too bad, going by the reviews it's a pretty good magazine. Guess I'll just have to wait for while before seeing it myself...

Received my copy via Canada Post dog sled team late last week.

Scott & Ken solid work guys, you slammed that one clear outa the park. :)

Glad to see it's out Congrats guys just ordered mine would have done it sooner but been preoccupied with life but I can't wait to get it now.

So-- I do understand about how the digital version is in Pocketmags and your control in the matter at this point is nil...but my question is the nook version which I am interested in-- I may go with both too...not sure. But since Pocketmags doesn't support nook as it is purely an Apple thing, my question is about the process- after Pocketmags gets their act straight, how does support for the nook get carried out from there?? Just curious as I would have no idea how these things work...

Also-- since I have ordered issue 1 already, if I were to subscribe, would it start out with sending #2??

Jeeves said:
So-- I do understand about how the digital version is in Pocketmags and your control in the matter at this point is nil...but my question is the nook version which I am interested in-- I may go with both too...not sure. But since Pocketmags doesn't support nook as it is purely an Apple thing, my question is about the process- after Pocketmags gets their act straight, how does support for the nook get carried out from there?? Just curious as I would have no idea how these things work...

I would assume that we are probably going to do what Scott had mentioned earlier?

Scott Girvan said:
Yes, we are going to also offer a Flip Book Style digital version, like the one I showed you Jeeves. It will be pricing less than the app.

This way, no iPad, or desire to go through Pocket Mags, no problem. The app will work better on the iPad though as the flipbook is a bit.....buggy on iPad. But as you've seen it works great on Nook, and a browser on Windows or Mac. It works on iPad...don't get me wrong. But since iPad doesn't support Flash, the zooming isn't perfect.

Jeeves said:
Also-- since I have ordered issue 1 already, if I were to subscribe, would it start out with sending #2??

Yes,

just put 'start with issue two' in the note section when you place your order on the site.

Just got my Mag and I must say seen better Just Kidding it is freakin awsome there is so much in it I normally buy fine scale model mag but this one beats that one hands down so very impressive will be deffinitly getting a subscription just as soon as I get paid again. Scott just courious what did Chapters say about it I will bring a copy down to show the powers to be to see if it helps get it in the stores.

Is there any update with the release of the digital version, or is just at the mercy of pocket mags? I just want to know if I need to break down and get the paper subscription.

I'd highly recommend paper, it's just so much more useful.

And I say this being a total computer junkie, and having just set up a vertical 19" screen in my hobby room to allow for reading the digital version of AK's mag, which is also on Pocket Mags. I not sure how SMA will be handled but here are my findings with the AK preview version:

- the layout is 2-page, not one, so vertical (which should lend itself better to a large single page) won't work
- it uses Microsoft's Silverlight plugin
- it's not a clear as the print version, and needs constant zooming in to read any of the text
- the photos don't look as nice (print vs screen), which I guess is to be expected
- even on a monitor arm I found myself leaning in or repositioning to read the LCD screen - it's just so much easier to move the print version on the bench a little closer!

I'm waiting for the digital version, preferably not through Pocket Mags. I move around too much. Having to keep updating the mailing address of a paper magazine is too much of a hassle.

I might be wrong, but I think Pocket Mags is the only method of digital delivery.

Ian said:
I might be wrong, but I think Pocket Mags is the only method of digital delivery.

That would be a bit of a shame, really. All I'm asking for is a simple high-quality pdf-file - no need for fancy apps or anything...

Latest posts

Back