SMA MAGAZINE ANNOUNCEMENT

Scott and Ken both mentioned there would be a web based version....it'll probably take as long if not longer than the Pocketmags version, but the demo version does work pretty smoothly.

f2k said:
That would be a bit of a shame, really. All I'm asking for is a simple high-quality pdf-file - no need for fancy apps or anything...

Well, I'm sorry to say I don't see there being a PDF available anytime soon. I mean, maybe an issue one PDF will be made available after issue three hits the shelves but not a moment sooner.

PDF's are just way too easy to pass around.

Ken Abrams said:
f2k said:
That would be a bit of a shame, really. All I'm asking for is a simple high-quality pdf-file - no need for fancy apps or anything...

Well, I'm sorry to say I don't see there being a PDF available anytime soon. I mean, maybe an issue one PDF will be made available after issue three hits the shelves but not a moment sooner.

PDF's are just way too easy to pass around.

I can see the issue you're raising there, but I'm not going to be installing an app on my phone/tablet just to read a magazine. Also, what if I want to read it on the big screen of my main computer? Can't do that with a dedicated app...

Besides, I think you're overreacting a bit here. The easy of sharing is (generally) proportional with the amount of interest in whatever is being shared. BrickJournal, for example, is distributed via pdf and yet it's not exactly easy to find out there as the interest in dedicated LEGO magazines is not that great.

Oh well...

That's a debate between the writers, editors, and publishers. I'm not trying to turn this in to a complaint-thread - I'm simply saying that you just lost a customer. Too bad as it sounds as a good magazine. But as I said, I'm not going to install an app just to read a magazine on a tiny 10" screen with no option of transferring it to another device. Nor am I really interested in reading a magazine that's two or three issues behind the release schedule.

Overreacting? I don't follow you, I'm not even 'reacting'. I'm simply replying to your post and saying, "sorry, that's not an option at this time or in the foreseeable future".

And there is no debate on our end, Scott and I are in full agreement and the writers are contributors, not share holders, so they really have no say? They get paid for their contribution and in all of the years that I have been writing/contributing to other magazines, not once have I ever been included in that conversation.

Ken Abrams said:
Overreacting? I don't follow you, I'm not even 'reacting'. I'm simply replying to your post and saying, "sorry, that's not an option at this time or in the foreseeable future".

And there is no debate on our end, Scott and I are in full agreement and the writers are contributors, not share holders, so they really have no say? They get paid for their contribution and in all of the years that I have been writing for other magazines, not once have I ever been included in that conversation.

Maybe "overreacting" isn't the correct word. But, as I read your post, you're worried that someone might pirate the magazine and you react to that fear by limiting the distribution. That's why I used that term.

If you're in agreement with Scott, then so be it. All I was saying was that it was that I don't want to turn this into a debate/complain-thread.

I will say this though: pressing print to pdf isn't really that big a problem. And if you sell just one pdf-copy, then that's one more copy that you wouldn't have sold otherwise. Will it reduce the sale of the app-only version? I honestly doubt it. Going from the feedback on this forum, I think that most people prefer the paper-version anyway. And, as I said, the scope of the magazine is so narrow that I'm very doubtful that anyone would bother to put up a torrent.

But anyway, as I said, I'm not here to rant and rave... If that's your decision, then so be it. I'm slightly sad that I won't get to see the magazine, but I'll survive...

No worries,

I wasn't attempting to argue or turn this into some kind of debate, I was merely addressing your post as the last thing I want is for anyone to feel ignored and your post had yet to be addressed.

8)

is there any chance of this magazine coming to the the wet lands of England buddy..there are a few i buy and would love to add this to my collection....

I guess that depends what you mean, as you can order it right on the website and it gets shipped right to you. I have sent single copies all over the world, just this past week was Australia, Spain, England for instance.

If you mean will shops stock it, we hope so and have been trying to find distribution for other parts of the world. I have some working relationships with a couple shops in various countries but nothing in England as of yet.

If you get us a local shop or two to stock it regularly, I'll get you a free years subscription. ;D

Latest posts

Back