Revell 1/48 Kingfisher

fightnjoe

i keep turning up....just like a bad penny....
This will be out of box for the YouTube Box Stock Build 2016

The Revell 1/48 Kingfisher.

Box%20Art_zps9f6ejibw.jpg

I know, glutton for punishment.

Joe

Very much so.

Session 1

Started on this March 1st, first day of the build we have until March 30. Glued what few pieces are in the cockpit and then sprayed with Flat Black.

Session-1_zpsbbbnrxwf.jpg

This is going to be a pretty quick, and by definition, simple build.

All comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

Joe

Session 2

Not really much to show here either.

I was able to get some paint sprayed.

First I started the figures. They look very rough and honestly they look better in the pics than in person. The pilot has two large holes in his midsection from a short shot on the injection and the gunner is missing half his head. I started out with just a vague base of paint. I will detail it out a bit but these really do not need to be highly detailed.

Session-Two-4_zpss9llrph3.jpg

Session-Two-5_zpsvd7iie8u.jpg

I glued together the wing floats as well as began the gear for the aircraft on land.

Session-Two-1_zps73cpx7zw.jpg

Paint was sprayed on the interior parts. I did just a little detail painting, not much, and just a bit of drybrushing.

Session-Two-3_zpsemwrdpnw.jpg

Session-Two-2_zpsjvyembbn.jpg

And with that believe it or not, the fuselage will be ready to close up.

Prior to closing it up I will need to try to finish off the pilot as he needs to be installed prior to closing. Thinking just a wash to try to get the illusion of some kind of detail.

Joe

Many thanks.

And so, on to session three.

This was actually the point I ended on Saturday night. The build is ready for paint I think. I have gone over everything but we shall see what it looks like under color.

Session-Three-2_zps1nfafzax.jpg

Session-Three-1_zpsizvyc3ih.jpg

Moving right along.

Joe

Session four is in the books.

This actually happened over the course of several days but I am going to call it one session. Painting.

I started by black basing the aircraft, all this means is I gave the entire aircraft a coat of Flat Black. I then sprayed the underside and the floats Neutral Gray. I also used the Neutral Gray to lighten some areas on the topside. This will prove to help vary the tone of the top.

Paint-3_zps1nhwyowg.jpg

Paint-1_zpsjigobe2q.jpg

Paint-2_zpsvdi5lql1.jpg

At this point I mixed US Navy Blue Gray with Flat White to produce a lightened version of the color. I sprayed this over the top but in a random, blotchy pattern. Over this I used US Navy Blue Gray to break up the color even further. What resulted is a random pattern of color that looks more of a used aircraft. Unfortunately in the pictures this does not show well. The light washes out most of the effect.

Paint-4_zps6sva64c1.jpg

Paint-5_zpsabyq1sj9.jpg

Paint-6_zpsxesqpkab.jpg

Now the box art shows a white for the underside. But I really do think this shows more of a used bird to me. I may go back and highlight with white to get more of a look like the box art has but I am not sure. I am not going for accuracy to the box art but I do believe that I should at least try to get somewhat close. Next step for me is to hit it with a gloss coat to ready for decals.

Joe

Moving right along.

Session five was over a few days. Glosscoat was sprayed and once dry decals were applied. After letting them dry some microsol was used on them to get them to settle down. A glosscoat was sprayed to seal them in.

Session-Four-1_zpsmaquf04x.jpg

Session-Four-2_zpsff6mb36k.jpg

Session-Four-3_zpsdmbfvui9.jpg

Session-Four-4_zpszfmefwwi.jpg

Next will be to let that dry completely then I can move onto weathering.

Joe

Now for session six. I am going to call this session "staining".

My first step is to dry brush the incredibly bright decals. Going with the base colors I was able to knock the shine down a bit and simulate a bit of wear and tear. Once done with that I brought out the oils and added some staining and streaking. I did not go wild with this but I did accomplish what I wanted.

Overall.

Staining-5_zpsreuganvx.jpg

Staining-6_zpsnhudmti3.jpg

And a bit of a close up to show it a bit better.

Staining-1_zpsezge4wdr.jpg

Staining-2_zps4viqzp90.jpg

Staining-3_zpssepea9xl.jpg

Staining-4_zpspctnrdym.jpg

Next session will cover doing some chipping and some of the smaller stuff that still needs to be added.

Joe

Hey Joe
This is looking good for a quick build... I am following along to learn more about aircraft and such..
One question, you did mask all that glass right ?
Liking the paint techniques your laying down, thanks for sharing !
Cheers

I did mask it all yes. Is it right, wont know until after I pull it off.

Many thanks for looking in.

Joe

Session seven is in the books. Almost there.

This session was all about prepping for the finish. The gear for the aircraft being on land is on. Other little bits and pieces are on.

Session-Seven-2_zpsa1b5r5bp.jpg

Session-Seven-3_zpsaebpke8x.jpg

Session-Seven-4_zpsgkgwou96.jpg

Session-Seven-1_zpsnvzuz4it.jpg

Next up is the final push.

The final update will be the finished build.

Well the Kingfisher is finished.

About the kit. Not really a bad kit. Went together ok. I will say construction would be much easier with the main float cut away from the fuselage. This would allow a less awkward situation for both the construction and seam work. The decals were a bit thick but they went down fine.

All in all I am happy with the paint work. It has a used but not abused type of look.

Pictures.

Finished-12_zps9dtrzrqj.jpg

Finished-11_zpssevmpass.jpg

Finished-10_zpsc9zor11h.jpg

Finished-9_zpsrrliewbz.jpg

Finished-8_zpsqdwoyqxv.jpg

Finished-7_zpstte3hbt2.jpg

Finished-6_zpsvgekvca0.jpg

Finished-5_zpsh2hpryen.jpg

Finished-4_zpsfhngesla.jpg

Finished-3_zps3hvpyrla.jpg

Finished-2_zpsj1trzxzr.jpg

Finished-1_zpsgxl6bjce.jpg

Joe

Who's big idea was it to put a greenhouse on the back of that plane,...!
Well Done, ....tough plane :) Beautifully done.. I will learn from your paint work
Thnx
Cheers

Latest posts

Back