Millennium Falcon (Ralph McQuarrie Concept Version)

Chris S said:
Looks like a lot of work John !!! ,looking good tho :)
Thanks Chris, there's still a lot to cut away on the bottom half

Thanks Leighbo & TRM

JohnSimmons said:
Looks fantastic! What scale does this come out as?

Thanks John, the kit is supposed to be 1/73??? but looking at the RMcQ painting the ship looks bigger than the film Falcon....maybe 1/80

I'm eventually going to have to think about scale when I'm making the cockpit

John

Holy Molly Jai! This is looking great. As usual, I'm amazed at how you just tear kits apart in order to achieve your vision!
Another great topic to follow, thanks mate!
Cheers

Thanks very much for the comments guys!

I have also been posting my progress on 'The Replica Prop Forum', there a member called Bloop mentioned the oddness of the four rectangular boxes at the rear of the ship where the landing gear are, in the CG rendering they are solid boxes, but the McQuarrie paintings they seem to be four huge doors or flaps.

Bloop's comment caused others to dig out other reference material.....material also drawn by Joe Johnston, making me question who came up with this design? McQ or Johnston?

A larger image front on:
406034535.jpg

Approaching the Death Star:
406034534.jpg

Joe Johnston's sketch of the underside, you can see four hinged flaps:
ku-xlarge.jpg

The front view, he has noted the doors:
ScreenShot2013-03-21at201426.png

The Cockpit:
ScreenShot2013-03-21at201549.png
ScreenShot2013-03-21at201604.png

Joe's sketch of the Death Star Approach:
joe3.jpg

On to my progress:
feathers.jpg
hull.jpg
topview.jpg

Should be making the cockpit soon

Thanks for looking

John

This is taking shape really well. loving the smoother lines it reminds me of cal look cars.

Keep it coming john

This is looking sooooo good J! I'm looking forward to seeing how you you do the escape pods, I think that painting of it docked in bay 94 looks rad!

I don't know what it is about this build that makes me cringe... I love it! I could never do it... but you're doing an awesome job on it so far my friend!

Leighbo said:
This is taking shape really well. loving the smoother lines it reminds me of cal look cars.
Thanks Leighbo, I'm going to add some detail, hopefully I don't over do it

JohnSimmons said:
This is looking sooooo good J! I'm looking forward to seeing how you you do the escape pods, I think that painting of it docked in bay 94 looks rad!
Thanks John, I want to try & replicate the escape pods as close to the docking bay 94 painting.....that painting is the image I'm working to, nearly all the other reference material is slightly different

Quaralane said:
Liking seeing this one unfold
Thanks Quaralane, I'm pretty happy so far

Grendels said:
That is looking good!
Thankyou Grendels, I still don't have the courage to make videos :-[

TRM said:
Great job!!! Keep at her!!! ;)
Thanks TRM, I can't stop!

Igard said:
Looks terrific!! 8)
Thanks Igard

LrdSatyr8 said:
I don't know what it is about this build that makes me cringe... I love it! I could never do it... but you're doing an awesome job on it so far my friend!
Thanks LrdSatyr8.....I cringe too!!!

Some more details:
tape.jpg
tape3.jpg
tape2.jpg
tape4.jpg

Thanks for the interest

John

Latest posts

Back