merseajohn's Fine Molds 1/144 Slave 1

I agree with the others, your photos show what you are doing very well. Thank you for posting!

John, duuuuude! :eek:
You're going into a "scale modeler's berserk mode with this" - crash everyone's brains with an extreme skill and master techniques and smash our jaws on the floor ;D
Its unbelievable what are You doing here with this small guy, just 5 stars mate, 5 of 5!!

merseajohn is to painting what scratchy is to building!!!!!!!!!!

I think they need to tag team a few things!

astroboy said:

Dude, being not to bright about painting myself I can't say I haven't thought about such a kind of teaming up, but hey, there is a huge problem in that: who's shelf the finished masterpiece would stand on??? ;D

Solander said:
astroboy said:

Dude, being not to bright about painting myself I can't say I haven't thought about such a kind of teaming up, but hey, there is a huge problem in that: who's shelf the finished masterpiece would stand on??? ;D

mine....;)

Wow such nice feedback, thanks you lot!
Leighbo: Thanks mate! Now get on with a sci fi kit (prefably star wars lol!)
Squee: Cheers, the only way is just to jump in with your fingers crossed!
Astroboy & Sol I dont think my painting comes even close to Scratchy's building skills!
And cheers Grendels, Jamaicanmodels69, Q, Tanker, Jaitea, Glorfindel and Igard.
So here's what I've been up to. Painted the body with a mix of xf-22 & xf-2:
IMG_1665.jpg
Then on came the maskol again (very heavily, allthough I did still take a bit off on a piece of scrap).
IMG_1671.jpg
Then a witches brew of xf-14, xf-2 and xf-55 covering the maskol with a several coats sprayed thinley. The reason for this is that if you chuck it all on there in one coat the maskol pulls the paint off rather than leaving it looking chipped.
IMG_1673.jpg
IMG_1679.jpg
And here's how it stands at the moment, it looks more green in person but still not quite 'green' enough to my liking but I'm hopefully going to fix that with some filters.
IMG_1682.jpg
I'm moving back onto the wings again now, updates as always to follow. Thanks again for the comments guys, gives a boost to finish. ;D

Looks great so far

I also really like the step by step, particularly in regards to painting and masking. I have an airbrush I am looking to try out for the first time on a model and this gives me a good technique guide to follow for my 1/72 Slave 1

Thankyou Grendels & blakeh1. Another update, got the dark green on the wing arches and the top & side of the body. Started off masking out the wing arches, I used small strips and made sure I burneshed them with a cocktail stick, there's quite a bit of fidely masking with this due to its size.
IMG_1686.jpg
Then came the chipping on the right arch. This was achieved by flicking maskol off an old stiff toothbrush:
IMG_1688.jpg
The green was a mix of xf-65 and xf-5
IMG_1692.jpg
And some quick shots dry fitted again (the wing tips were finished in kahki):
IMG_1698.jpg
IMG_1700.jpg
IMG_1702.jpg
Hope you like it, this kit isn't for the faint hearted, simply because of the paint job, but I think I'm getting there :)

Looking really good!

The making fluid on the toothbrush is a great tip, thanks for that.

Thankyou Grendels, tmajor, Igard, derex3592 and nicholssagan! Ok another small update. Painted the black around the cockpit (tamiya flat black), got the new panel painted on the right wing arch (tamiya deck tan) still need to add chipped paint to it, got the decals on, added blast marks with Vallejo model air german grey with a very fine brush:
IMG_1708.jpg
And also gave her a pin wash with mig neautral wash and a little dark wash here and there:
IMG_1707.jpg
IMG_1705.jpg
I've got the back panels to the body painted and will give them some weathering tonight.
Hope you like it, I'm still gettin used to the fact that I've given it a wash....usually I dont like to give 'every' panel line a wash because it ends up looking like road map! But the more I looked at the ref pics there is a brownish look goin on... I dont know I'm still havin fun, let me know what you think guys.
MJ ;)

IMHO, You've got it right there, buddy: the wash, the overall color tone, all those chipping - everything looks perfect to me!

Latest posts

Back