M-48A3 VIETNAM

I always liked this tank . I love the machine gun turret on the main gun turret. Keep up the great work!

Rob W.

Just catching back up on this, kit is really coming along nicely. Great attention to accuracy and detail.

Rentar1 said:
I always liked this tank . I love the machine gun turret on the main gun turret. Keep up the great work!

Rob W.

Thanks Rob!! I have a long way to go.

Terry

Myke said:
Just catching back up on this, kit is really coming along nicely. Great attention to accuracy and detail.

Thanks Myke!! Come back anytime.

T

One day..... I shall acquire the skills I have seen here. One day in the distant future that is. Amazing work. I'm going to have to get some square styrene and a bulk of other scratch build parts together. Everything looks better with a little dress up and attention to detail. I've learned that the detail is what matters. Especially in the military, you know, when the Chief tells you to scrub that tile deck in the missleu compartment harder and to not sleep next to the nuclear warheads:)

T ,

Again ... Hot Boi !! Those decals bring it to life. Dig th rear stowage !! I'm lookin forward to seein this Beast weathered !! I agree with Tony .... That Light .. Awesome Brotha' !!

Hi, I just completed making this kit myself & used Humbrol acrylics "olive drab" (paint ref # 66) & the colour looks very dark to me. I was wondering what color you're going to use? From all the pictures & footage Ive seen of this color on armor & hueys etc. the color they use always seems much lighter. Any thoughts? I would prefer not having to mix colors so I can easily match it on future builds. I was wondering if there are any brands of paint that have a closer match to the olive drab used in the Vietnam conflict? Maybe Ill take some pics & post so you can see what I mean. In the meantime, any suggestions would be appreciated.
Oh yeah, I was also wondering why you have applied the decals prior to painting. I always thought decals were added at the end on top of the paint as the paint would cover them... Once again, any advice is much appreciated!
Cheers,
Nick

Apologies, I missed the page where you mentioned olive green! Duh! Will have to go 7 buy some for my next Vietnam build! :)

humm Nickt666 ??? The Turret seems painted to me ??? the Bottom Hull isn't !

looking a little farther in the post you can see the turret being painted... and Cleared coated to received Decals...

That's Ok thou !

as for base coat for Vietnam (olive) machines... it all depends on the Brand or Brands of your paints...
many manufacturer claims to have the perfect Olive, OD or OG or what ever color you might need... try to go with "Federal Standards" color codes... FS for short !

http://www.colorserver.net/fandeck.asp?page=7

http://www.paint4models.com/index.html and this color conversion chart by brands should help you as well !

The colors on your monitor might not show up correctly but this is a good place to start ! Model Master paints do carry FS codes... same for Acryl II they too have the FS codes labeled on them...

Take Care !

Hey Mr T, after watching your crack model & the bunny logo I have not been able to
restrain myself from linkin´here this: ... just watch ! yes ! the "bunny" in the Huey´s nose !
´
Apocalypse Now : Suzie Q - Carmine Coppola
´
WHERE ARE THE GALS, MR. T? are they going to come out from inside the tank? :D WE WANT LOVE !!! ;D ;D
´
Congrats, Mr T, this seems to be another top nocht model, man ! ;)
Salud !
RG

Hi, yes, I can see you've painted the turret, but there are lots of parts on the chassis etc. which will also need painting, e.g.. behind the wheels & suspension. Isn't it hard to paint these items when its all assembled? thanks for the links & advice regarding the paints. I will do as you have advised. regarding the choice of colors. I have taken some pics of my Patton but the colors are much darker in real life & the pics don't represent the real colours. My build isn't in the same league as any of you guys though. Im still making them OOB & learning the techniques from builds like yours, so really appreciate the advice. Cant wait to see yours when its finished!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Some quality pictures of this fine tank really impressive the weathering is spot on and love the big ass light is it going into a dio bud....????

Thanks mate! You are too kind! Nope, no room for a dio where I live. Thanks again for the advice & encouragement! It really does make a big difference. Really can't wait to see your build finished, it is going to be wikkid! Cheers, N.

great finish mate,

you worked wonders with such an old kit

great stuff !

TBadger said:
One day..... I shall acquire the skills I have seen here. One day in the distant future that is. Amazing work. I'm going to have to get some square styrene and a bulk of other scratch build parts together. Everything looks better with a little dress up and attention to detail. I've learned that the detail is what matters. Especially in the military, you know, when the Chief tells you to scrub that tile deck in the missleu compartment harder and to not sleep next to the nuclear warheads:)

Hey Badger I learn something new almost everytime I set down to work. I also know you have to start somewhere and you have started out pretty good.

T

panzerace007 said:
T ,

Again ... Hot Boi !! Those decals bring it to life. Dig th rear stowage !! I'm lookin forward to seein this Beast weathered !! I agree with Tony .... That Light .. Awesome Brotha' !!

Thanks Erik!!

T

nickt666 said:
Hi, I just completed making this kit myself & used Humbrol acrylics "olive drab" (paint ref # 66) & the colour looks very dark to me. I was wondering what color you're going to use? From all the pictures & footage Ive seen of this color on armor & hueys etc. the color they use always seems much lighter. Any thoughts? I would prefer not having to mix colors so I can easily match it on future builds. I was wondering if there are any brands of paint that have a closer match to the olive drab used in the Vietnam conflict? Maybe Ill take some pics & post so you can see what I mean. In the meantime, any suggestions would be appreciated.
Oh yeah, I was also wondering why you have applied the decals prior to painting. I always thought decals were added at the end on top of the paint as the paint would cover them... Once again, any advice is much appreciated!
Cheers,
Nick

Nick! Thanks for your comments and questions. U.S. colors of that period were in general a dark olive green as apposed to the olive green used during the second world war which had a lighter yellow shade. That being said even the dark green used could and did vary depending on who was mixing the paint. So if your model is dark green you can't be too far off the mark. The effects of sun, rain, dust, mud, and general use change the tone of paint colors in the field and generally lighten the colors of upper surfaces. I am painting with this in mind by shading areas that are exposed to more light lighter/brighter colors and darkening those that are in shadow. My base coat was black green. I then lightened areas with lighter shades of olive green to highlight details of the turret. I will do the same to the upper an lower hulls.

As to your other question. The wheels are not on for good. I put them on so I can build the tracks and set the track tension. They will come off for painting. Folks ask me all the time "How can you paint that assembled" I go by an old axiom from a old professional modeler who said: "You don't need to paint what can't be seen".

You keep modeling! Have fun! Keep asking questions and keep trying new things. That's what this hobby is all about.

Terry

Thanks Terry, for the useful tips & information. I don't feel so bad about the difference in colour so much anymore. All you guys freak me out at this website. I read the forums & check out the pictures but still can't seem to reach the same level of excellent model making you guys achieve. Still, I guess thats got a lot to do with what this hobby requires, which is patience! Haha! Thanks again to everyone who has helped me with advice. i will try the things you guys have suggested & keep on keeping on! Cheers!
Nick
:)

The tracks and suspension are done. The thing is looking more like a tank know. Now I can move on to more fun things.

Terry

DSC07259.jpg

DSC07260.jpg

DSC07261.jpg

Latest posts

Back