Industria Mechanika Orbship

Small update. Although I did a bunch. Varnish, filter, varnish, pin wash, varnish, started streaking. It's become really humid and has been raining, and I've been using oil paint for filters and washes because I'm currently having a fight with the AK products.

So every step was getting a coat of Pledge Floor Care Tile & Vinyl Floor Finish With Future Technology. What a product name. Which used to be Future and is also now just called Pledge FloorCare, and comes in Multi Surface or Wood.

So, Future is now FloorCare in North America. The wood version isn't acrylic based.

Derp, update. So, got a filter on here that could be described as taking the Panzer Blue AK filter and adding more black to it then thinning it out a bunch.

IMG_20130521_180706.jpg

- very subtle and hard to see in my horrible picture, but it just removes that sharp vibrating colour combination. Which is all I wanted the filter to do.

IMG_20130521_180728.jpg

- Apparently I J.J. Abrams'ed this photo up with some sweet lens flare. Sorry. You can see the panel lines in here a bit. So I added some dark blue wash into there. And started streaking with a variety of space colours. I did a Google Image search for Meteors and based the colours on that. Mostly a large variety of earth tones. The streaks start from where I would assume either small rocks would impact first, or where dirt might build up (panels, bolts, vents, fancy detailing)

That's all for this guy. It's getting close though. Just going to keep on adding dirt until it's done.

Cheers,
Derek.

Soooo....... I am guessing this ship has seen about 60 years of hard service!!!!
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) ;D ;D ;D

At least. ;D ;D ;D

ModelMakerMike said:
Soooo....... I am guessing this ship has seen about 60 years of hard service!!!!
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) ;D ;D ;D

Thanks. Those are part of a game called Sedition Wars by Mike McVey. It's pretty entertaining. Sci-fi horror.

Bizarre said:
Great progress. What about 20+ figures on the side?

Yep. It's a miniature board game. Hmm… maybe I will. Definitely not for the competition. I'm super slow at painting minis. So frigging small…

Bizarre said:
Is it a board wargame? I thought you will include them to your Orbiship :)

Yellow bits have been grimed. It's like some old redneck's space pick up truck. This is how dirty my space ship would be.

IMG_20130522_222732.jpg

Getting close.

No pictures right now.

Just finished adding the final layer of weathering. It's supposed to rain all week so I have no idea how I'm going to hit it with Dullcoat, I'll figure that out tomorrow. Aside from the final dullcoat it's done. I could probably keep going on weatherings but, at some point I have to call it done right. So doing that now.

Final pics to follow.

Cheers,
D.

Thanks mate. Yeah, there's a bit of every Chris Foss ship in this kit now. Lots of Alien references as well. :)

Cave_Dweller said:
That looks awesome. Love the candystriping, definitely gives it that Chris Foss vibe.

Okay, here's some photos of the finished thing. These aren't fancy photos. I'll get those up tomorrow, or this weekend now that Scott has extended it by a week. I'll be gone to Minneapolis next week for a conference so I gotta wrap up this week anyways. :)

IMG_20130530_231257.jpg

IMG_20130530_231318.jpg

IMG_20130530_231356.jpg

IMG_20130530_231439.jpg

IMG_20130530_231505.jpg

IMG_20130530_231531.jpg

IMG_20130530_231555.jpg

IMG_20130530_231610.jpg

Thanks for looking, had a blast doing this competition!

Wow! Looks great!
Looks much more realistic now that you sort of evened everything out, and kinda muted the intensity of colors. Very realistic. She looks like she's actually made of metal!
AWESOME!
;D ;D ;D

Thanks guys!

Tailor said:
This looks intense! Great weathering, man!

ModelMakerMike said:
Wow! Looks great!
Looks much more realistic now that you sort of evened everything out, and kinda muted the intensity of colors. Very realistic. She looks like she's actually made of metal!
AWESOME!
;D ;D ;D

Very nice indeed!
The weathering turned out great, and You've really caught the feel of the design You had desired to at the beginning of the build.
Will be waiting for the final fancy photos ;)

Thanks Solander, yeah, really happy with how the design came out. :)

Solander said:
Very nice indeed!
The weathering turned out great, and You've really caught the feel of the design You had desired to at the beginning of the build.
Will be waiting for the final fancy photos ;)

Thanks Grendels!

Grendels said:

Thanks John!

JohnSimmons said:
Very cool!

Right, here's a photo of the lighting gear, plus a link to a video of the lights in action.

IMG_20130602_122724.jpg

- Video link. Hopefully it works.

By day I'm a creative technologist, hacker/maker for a design agency. Electrical engineering is part of the job so building custom lighting gear instead of buying ready made kits is fairly easy for me. This one is simply a BlinkM plugged into an Arduino Uno. :)

That stuff will all be hidden in a display base (all the wires come out the bottom of the rear landing gear straight into the base) which I haven't started as I plan on making it a scenic base, but won't be entering this kit into All Open and I didn't see any change to the "No bases" rules.

Doing final photos later today.

Cheers,
Derek.

Thanks mate!

LrdSatyr8 said:
That came out looking awesome my friend... your weathering detail is bar none! Well done!

Final photos. Again, photographed by my buddy who's still significantly better than I am at photographing things.

Final_01.jpg

Final_02.jpg

Final_03.jpg

Final_04.jpg

Final_05.jpg

Final_06.jpg

Final_07.jpg

Final_08.jpg

Final_09.jpg

Final_10.jpg

Final_11.jpg

Cheers,