Industria Mechanika Orbship

unttld

Mechanical
Here's my first entry in sci-fi. Also my first entry for this kind of thing period. It's a 1/48 resin kit based off of Scott Robertson artwork. Industria Mechanika worked with Scott to produce this kit, so I guess that makes it official garage kit.

sma_bsc.jpg

Cave_Dweller said:
This is a really nice model, reminds me of deep sea subs

Yeah, it does now that I think about it.

Well, so far I've managed to sand lots of stuff. With lots of small fiddly bits to sand still. Tomorrow will be a Dremel day.

sma_bsc_b.jpg

One page instructions. Word.

sma_bsc_c.jpg

The whole kit is hollow. I plan on adding an interior and lighting it.

Cheers.

I'm really excited to see you build this. I've got kind of an obsession with deep sea exploration, and this is straight out of the best of that. Super awesome model!

Cave_Dweller said:
I'm really excited to see you build this. I've got kind of an obsession with deep sea exploration, and this is straight out of the best of that. Super awesome model!

Thanks mate! It's been sitting in my stash for a while now. Excited to finally start building it. It's defo got that feel to it, as well as old 40s sci-fi. Not sure how the exterior is gonna be painted. I'm torn between every Chris Foss painting ever. :-\

This is a Fitchin Foo kit, right? I've never seen one of these built up. So looking forward to it.

I too have never seen one of these. Looking forward to it. Good luck.

@Glorfindel @Myke, yeah it's one of Fichtenfoo's kits. I really dig his kits. I'll be sure to try and post lots of WIPs. This one is gonna have a different colour scheme though. I'm thinking something like these:

3-XXX_0154_Chris_Foss_Untitled.jpg

foss_blue.jpg

chris_foss__turner_spaceship.jpg

nathan.jpg

Thanks guys!

Les said:
I like the look of this kit; it will be fun to see what you do with it! :)

Thanks! I plan on converting the landing gear to something more inline with the original drawing. I'll be using landing gears from Aires. I'm also adding an interior (cockpit I'm torn between P47D, AH64D, P51D - too many to choose from really, gonna add a bunch of Rolls Royce engine parts as well), and I'm lighting it.

Michael's (FichtenFoo/iMech Founder) build up:
FichtenFoo-iMech-Orb-10.jpg

Original Illustration:
OSMain.jpg

Cool beans man!!! I hope you go with one of those Ross schemes!! His work is awesome as I'm sure this build will be. :D

nicholassagan said:
Cool beans man!!! I hope you go with one of those Ross schemes!! His work is awesome as I'm sure this build will be. :D

Thanks dude! Yeah his work is fantastic. Him and Frazetta got me through art school. :) Methinks I'm going to need more masking tape to even remotely attempt to pull his aesthetic off.

Nice choice there Derek!! Love FichtenFoo stuff!! Just the right amount of "out there"!! Will be tagging along!! ;)

Yup, I'm in on this one. ... bookmarked.
This is probably a future TRM adventure based on his recent experimentations. :-D

Thanks guys!

Today's update. Mostly… sanding. With some bits of assembly.

IMG_20130302_203357.jpg

I assembled some Aires Rolls Royce engines to go on the inside. No one will ever see them. I also assembled the pilot that comes with the kit. I know for the final submission he'll not be included but, I might as well build him along the way. Plus, he was three pieces and required pretty much zero work.

IMG_20130302_171038.jpg

I took this piece…

IMG_20130302_174633.jpg

…and did that to it.

IMG_20130302_203323.jpg

I got the orb center bit and the front hull stuck together. I also stuck the gun onto the top.

IMG_20130302_203342.jpg

I attached the front landing gear pod thing and added some photo etch. I. Hate. PE.

IMG_20130302_203458.jpg

Last night I assembled the rear engine/thrusters area.

IMG_20130302_203306.jpg

This is where I'm currently at.

IMG_20130302_203610.jpg

Both my hands have this much glue on the. Yes, that's Grey Stuff CA'd to my fingers. What. I know… grey stuff is the worst thing ever. But I don't have any green stuff or brown stuff.

Tomorrow I'll go back and clean up all the grey stuff. I don't think anything else will require gap filling. So far, this kit has been much easier to work with than the other Industria Mechanika kits I have (Remora, Skymark [pretty much entirely made of PE], 1st Ed. Sasha the Welder).

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,
Derek.

Oh man that's a ton of resin dust! The PE stuff looks awesome, although does require microscopic fingers. Love this kit!

Latest posts

Back