Industria Mechanika Orbship

Thanks mate!

ModelMakerMike said:
I am LOVIN' IT!!!!

Thanks, yeah this kit is amazing. I really dig the kits that Industria Mechanika put together.

CheesyGrin said:
Very cool! This looks like a stellar kit. You're doing a great job! ;D

Started chipping. Got a lot of work to do on the yellow. It was going on very translucent which required a few layers to get up to the right yellow. I've figured out how to sand it down much smoother which will make it look way better. I'm probably just painting yellow all kinds of wrong. Oh, but the latex mask worked great.

I want this ship to be all kinds of worn out. I've been rewatching Firefly/Serenity and just reread the comic Fear Agent and I love the look of all this old world tech that gets used heavily. I want the paint that's around all the thrusters to be blasted off from the heat. I made sure that when I sprayed the alclad on that I would use a copper and exhaust manifold to it look like the metal is being affected by the heat and all that.

SO, needless to say, this is going to be a heavily weathered spaceship. ;D

IMG_20130507_081928.jpg

- main orb body and the thruster/exhaust. There's going to be lots of soot on the exhaust. And once the yellow gets sanded down it's going to get a few washes and filters.

IMG_20130507_082021.jpg

- other side of the exhaust. Missed a bit when masking paint off. I'll just chip that a bit more. Actually that yellow will probably come off without much of the blue coming off.

The front is going to get chipped, then I think I'm going to repaint it a similar blue and chip it down again. So it looks like the astronaut tried repainting it the same colour and it has since seen lots of use.

Okay, this is way too much writing for two mediocre pictures. Thanks for looking!

Cheers,
Derek.

The paint chipping effect looks just AWESOME!!!
Especially on the thrusters area. Would look so sweet with some soot from the thrust on.
Nice work!

Thanks mate! Yeah I plan on dirtin' this ship up something fierce. Definitely want the grime that the comic series Fear Agent had.

Solander said:
The paint chipping effect looks just AWESOME!!!
Especially on the thrusters area. Would look so sweet with some soot from the thrust on.
Nice work!

Right, first layer of chipping done. Gonna add a second layer of colour on the front over all that sea/grey blue. I want something closer to a navy blue.

IMG_20130510_220443.jpg

IMG_20130510_220538.jpg

Yeah....it looks like it has been flown through a tornado that was full of gravel... :)
I just now noticed how the yellow is such a huge contrast to the rest of the ship, that it almost makes it look like a fish, and that the yellow orb is it's eye....But maybe that's just me?
;) ;) ;)

Flown through a tornado, I like that. A tornado full of hand grenades. :)
Yeah, the yellow was too contrasty for me. It's because the blue is super desaturated so the yellow really freaking pops.

ModelMakerMike said:
Yeah....it looks like it has been flown through a tornado that was full of gravel... :)
I just now noticed how the yellow is such a huge contrast to the rest of the ship, that it almost makes it look like a fish, and that the yellow orb is it's eye....But maybe that's just me?
;) ;) ;)

IMG_20130511_153810.jpg

IMG_20130511_153846.jpg

- I Added another layer of blue (Vallejo Model Air French Blue) and chipped it down as well. Next steps will be to seal it all in, and add some details, you know, sci-fi branding, strips, numbers, et. al.

IMG_20130511_154516.jpg

IMG_20130511_154601.jpg

IMG_20130511_154548.jpg

IMG_20130511_154531.jpg

- I've almost finished the astronaut as well. Just have to add a bit dust to him. I'm not going to remove him from his little resin surfboard as eventually he's going to get fixed onto a planet surface base and I'll just add whatever dried earth effects right over it. I think. That's the plan at the moment.

Cheers,
Derek.

Thanks mate!

Yeah, I used the Vallejo Liquid Gold colour range. Copper for the face shield and silver for the back pack and the bit on the chest. I just added a bit of a very subtle wash along the bottom to add some additional shading. But, huzzah for metallic paints! ;)

ModelMakerMike said:
You really did a great job of making it look like convincing metal. :)
;D ;D ;D

Great work!
I'm really diging the color scheme on this one.
One thing, however, maybe its just me, but on this stage the main colors of the hull seem a bit to diverse for such a heavily used, considering the ammount of scratching, vehicle. You might consider giving it some blending effect with a, say, light-gray filter. Again, it is just my imho.
P.S: maid myself familiar with the Fear Agent series. Cool stuff, thanks for bringing it up!

Thanks Deadwax!!

Deadwax said:
this is looking great!

Solander, yeah, I haven't started any painting beyond the base coats. I was thinking getting a super thinned out layer of black oil paint on the whole thing. I was also thinking a brown filter cause I do want the whole thing to be blasted in dirt from landing on random planets. But, I haven't figured that out yet.

Yeah man, I'm really big into that style of sci-fi comic. Fear Agent is also completed so you can read all of it in one shot.

Solander said:
Great work!
I'm really diging the color scheme on this one.
One thing, however, maybe its just me, but on this stage the main colors of the hull seem a bit to diverse for such a heavily used, considering the ammount of scratching, vehicle. You might consider giving it some blending effect with a, say, light-gray filter. Again, it is just my imho.
P.S: maid myself familiar with the Fear Agent series. Cool stuff, thanks for bringing it up!

Last night's work. Started adding some sci-fi branding elements. Gonna keep things simple and just add one big logo to the centre. Then it's gonna get filtered and weathered.

IMG_20130514_213901.jpg

- Masking these strips was a total pain. Don't think I'll be doing that again any time soon… :/

Thanks guys! Glad you like them.

They're less chipped on the other side. I broke some PE on this side so am treating it like a tiny meteorite or something hit it. Gonna spend tonight going through my decals. Hopefully I can find something interesting.

Thanks again!

Grendels said:
Yeah, but those stripes look good!

Deadwax said:
those stripes are awesome!

Those stripes leave my jaw on the floor, dude! Outstandingly done!
Can't wait to see what are You going to do with the meteorite-hit PE piece You're speaking about ;)

Thanks Solander!! ;D ;D
I can't wait to see what I do as well. Cause for the most part I'm making this up on the fly. ;)

Solander said:
Those stripes leave my jaw on the floor, dude! Outstandingly done!
Can't wait to see what are You going to do with the meteorite-hit PE piece You're speaking about ;)

Okay, base coated. Now I can get a filter on here to bring all the colours together, then it's weather like a mofo.

IMG_20130515_201442.jpg

IMG_20130515_201503.jpg

- Ended up going with just adding a triforce to both sides. I dig it. I might bust them up a bit more before varnishing it. We'll see.

Latest posts

Back