In the near future Pink Spitfire

GaryG64

In doing my initial research on the Supermarine Spitfire MK.I I cam across a pink Spitfire. Ok. My curiosity has been peaked... or Pinked.
Turns out these plans were use as bombing assessment units. These aircraft were usually camera equipped.
The reason pink camouflage was used was because they flew over recently bombed target cities, the cities were usually still burning from the previous bomb run. For a fresh assessment these missions were flown minutes or a few hours after the bombing. The targets were still producing a lot of smoke and fire which gave the sky a pink hue. It was thought that the pink camouflage was the best choice to simply because the color best matched what these pilots would be flying through.
This pink is called Mountbatten pink, also called Plymouth Pink, is a naval camouflage colour resembling greyish mauve. It was first used by Lord Mountbatten of the British Royal Navy during World War II. (Web search) the closest color I can find without mmixing it from scratch . The closest color is a Desert Rose with maybe a touch of black.

This kit is going to be the same kit I got from Tamiya a 1/48 Supermarine Spitfire MK.I

Attachments

• pink camo.jpg
    pink camo.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 7
  • AmIYBxSCEAA0KZX.jpg large.jpg
    AmIYBxSCEAA0KZX.jpg large.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 8
Yeah, might be differences by sunlight. Each picture online seems to have variances.
Great matching of colors!

I think that second one , the Mission Models one , is probably the closest to the real color .
and yeah , trying to divine colors from internet photos is often maddening .

I think that second one , the Mission Models one , is probably the closest to the real color .
Yes, and it is hard to replicate colors for the actual sample to an online or printed material

I might look at getting both. I noticed that a few vehicles in WWII were pink.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230610_211644_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230610_211644_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20230610_211718_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230610_211718_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 9
In doing my initial research on the Supermarine Spitfire MK.I I cam across a pink Spitfire. Ok. My curiosity has been peaked... or Pinked.
Turns out these plans were use as bombing assessment units. These aircraft were usually camera equipped.
The reason pink camouflage was used was because they flew over recently bombed target cities, the cities were usually still burning from the previous bomb run. For a fresh assessment these missions were flown minutes or a few hours after the bombing. The targets were still producing a lot of smoke and fire which gave the sky a pink hue. It was thought that the pink camouflage was the best choice to simply because the color best matched what these pilots would be flying through.
This pink is called Mountbatten pink, also called Plymouth Pink, is a naval camouflage colour resembling greyish mauve. It was first used by Lord Mountbatten of the British Royal Navy during World War II. (Web search) the closest color I can find without mmixing it from scratch . The closest color is a Desert Rose with maybe a touch of black.

This kit is going to be the same kit I got from Tamiya a 1/48 Supermarine Spitfire MK.I
I have also read that they were used as dusk / Dawn recon planes flying just below clouds. They could not be seen from above and the dusky sky made the clouds a pink/red shade.
Pantherman

I have also read that they were used as dusk / Dawn recon planes flying just below clouds. They could not be seen from above and the dusky sky made the clouds a pink/red shade.
Pantherman
That make sense. Rendering them virtually invisable

Latest posts

Back