Help! Need advice on what to use as a gloss coat

RedDragon62

Just trying to build a decent model
I've been away from the modeling life for some time and got back into it sprue cutting recently. I've built three models as of late and..................I am stumped on what to use as a gloss. I've tried the "Future" and hated the results. Can anyone give me some advice on what is the best Gloss coats to use?

Thanks!

G'Day RedDragon,

Humbrol Gloss Varnish is okay to use - either brushed on or airbrushed. Just be careful applying over acrylics - I've had some reactivate when brushing on the varnish.

Otherwise, try the clear lacquers from Testors, Tamiya and Gunze. Or the enamel and acrylic versions.

What was wrong with the Future results ???

Thanks

cheers
Mark

Greetings Cobra.....

The Future seems to leave a "orange peel" effect. I'm thinking ...Either my pressure ( air brush ) is to high or not thinned enough or I am too close to the work and layering it on too thick. I'm just looking for suggestions as to what works for others.

I ruined a great paint job the other day with the "Future" technique. Had to soak the paint off and start anew. From what I've read online.....Gloss can be a pretty stressful part of the build...LOL.

Airbrush pressure is likely too high, RedDragon62.
I shoot it straight, no thinning, at about 20psi, and it works just fine.
Shoot fine thin coats

Quaralane said:
Airbrush pressure is likely too high, RedDragon62.
I shoot it straight, no thinning, at about 20psi, and it works just fine.
Shoot fine thin coats

Thanks brother. I lowered the air pressure to 15 psi and it seemed to work a lot better.

I have fallen hard for the Vallejo gloss and matte varnishes. They go right through the AB with no thinner at about 25 psi for me.

I used to swear by the the testors clear lacquers. You have to be very patient with them when spraying over acrylic, mist coats with plenty of dry time in between, but the results are worth the wait.

Latest posts

Back