Brushing on Tamiya clear coat

Hey Addicts! So since I'm just getting back into modelling again, I havent been able to get all my Airbrush supplies back and do everything properly like I always had before. So the 2 current models im working on I had to brush on the paint, except for the clear which I had in a can. Now my main question is, Is there a certain way to brush on the clear coat for the entire aircrafts without having the paint run from being brushed? For fhe record, I used tamiya base coat, tamiya XF paints for brushing and have Tamiya ckear coat for the final stage. If anyone could give me some insight so I don't ruin all the time I spent brushing I would greatly appreciate it!!

Thank you all and look forward to your responses!

MilitaryModeler1991

I've had OK success with brushing on Tamiya X-22 clear. My humble tips would be to mix in some X-20A thinner almost 1:1. I found it's best to move quickly and apply a real lite coat over the entire model in one go if you can. The key is to not brush over any wet spots trying to even it out because it becomes tacky quit fast. It will self level as it dries. Resist the temptation to recoat if possible.

*I reserve the right to deny any and all advice that leads to disaster. ;)

I have finished brushing on all the colour paint and am about to put on the decals. Should I let the colour paint cure for 24-48 hours after I do the decals before I attempt to do the clear coating?
I've had OK success with brushing on Tamiya X-22 clear. My humble tips would be to mix in some X-20A thinner almost 1:1. I found it's best to move quickly and apply a real lite coat over the entire model in one go if you can. The key is to not brush over any wet spots trying to even it out because it becomes tacky quit fast. It will self level as it dries. Resist the temptation to recoat if possible.

*I reserve the right to deny any and all advice that leads to disaster.

I would do a clear coat before decals. Yes, let the color coat set for a day or so. Some modelers will bock at the use of this product because it's for floors, but IMO this stuff works petty well for a brush on clear coat.
1712590046708.png

Thats what i was thinking was using the rattle cans . But the hobby store around me has very little in terms of actual modeling painting supplies

Who says you have to use hobby store clearcoat in rattlecan. Walmart hardware Rustoleum clear is fine. I’ve used Rustoleum gloss, flat, and satin clear coat with no issues.

I would do a clear coat before decals. Yes, let the color coat set for a day or so. Some modelers will bock at the use of this product because it's for floors, but IMO this stuff works petty well for a brush on clear coat.
View attachment 115984

Meh… Not a fan of using floor product as a clearcoat. Tend to be tacky is handled too soon. The only time I’ll use it is on windsheild of car kit.

You have to be careful which floor product you use. Not all are the same. Besides, Future changed the name of their product. Skip using the floor product as a clearcoat.

Im really stuck with brushing on clear coat right now, my model has been curing the paint for about 3-4 days. Im just asking to see if I brushed on the clear will it ruin the paint?

What are the paint layers in order ?
You say " Tamiya base coat " meaning what ?
How heavy are you applying the X22 ?

I don't use Tamiya paints but I know they contain alcohols .
Can't find a MSDS on the X-22 ,
but here's one for an X-1 : https://trimsds.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/tamiya_acrylic-paint.pdf
43.3% alcohols by volume .
That's certainly enough to dissolve acrylic resins in the color layers if you slather it on .

Use a pure water based clear acrylic if you're going to brush it on , like Vallejo etc .
Or ,
change your technique with the brush application .

Assuming this is the issue .
Need more info from you .

Clearcoat shouldn’t pull paint off. Base coat meaning what?

Are you referring Tamiya “base coat” as TS-101 Base White in rattlecan? If so, that’s a lacquer paint, not enamel or acrylic spray paint. And it’s not used as a primer.
Either way, it shouldn’t have any effect on why your X-22 clear is pulling paint off.

I don't use Tamiya paints but I know they contain alcohols .
Can't find a MSDS on the X-22 ,
but here's one for an X-1 : https://trimsds.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/tamiya_acrylic-paint.pdf
43.3% alcohols by volume .
That's certainly enough to dissolve acrylic resins in the color layers if you slather it on .

Use a pure water based clear acrylic if you're going to brush it on , like Vallejo etc .
Or ,
change your technique with the brush application .

Assuming this is the issue .
Need more info from you .
I used the Mr Hobby Mr white surfacer 1000, let that dry for 26 hours, then I did XF-62 (olive drab) mixed with a bit of XF-2 (flat white) and a touch of XF-60 (dark yellow) to make a custom Olive drab that I then brushed on in thin coats, let each coat dry for at least 24 hours. And one final coat to even out the whole thing and then let it fully cure for 4 days. And as for the X-22 clear coat. I put it on thin and spread and it still pulled off the paint down to the plastic. It even pulled off the surfacer primer

Latest posts

Back