Clear top coat

papaof2

Been cruising around this and other forums and articles. What is everyone using for clearcoat. Read about Future and Pledge, but they are unavailable or expensive. Most of the time they will be used over Tamiya acrylics X and XF and decals. Not opposed to experimenting but you guys have a lot of experience I'd like to tap into. BTW will be airbrushing the clear.

Curtis

I don’t use Future as top clearcoat. Over time they will turn yellow. So Future is a no go.

My go-to clearcoat is Testors enamel gloss and dull (flat). Last me a long time. I also have a couple acrylic PollyScale clears in my stash.

In a pinch, I will use clears from a rattlecan - mostly Rustoleum clears.

All acrylic out of the airbrush for me .
Predominantly Liquitex varnish .
and AK , the AK Ultra Matte is unbeatable for a death matte . Or it was , I haven't used the reformulation . I still have plenty of the old stock .

Those floor acrylics are dirt cheap when compared to hobby or artists acrylics .
Their proprietary surfactants make them very handy with more than floors .
" future " is one of the best mediums for mixing with inks and dyes IMO .

Been cruising around this and other forums and articles. What is everyone using for clearcoat. Read about Future and Pledge, but they are unavailable or expensive. Most of the time they will be used over Tamiya acrylics X and XF and decals. Not opposed to experimenting but you guys have a lot of experience I'd like to tap into. BTW will be airbrushing the clear.

Curtis
Actually, Future/Pledge (same product, just differently named over time) was much cheaper by volume than gloss media made by suppliers to the hobby. True, it is now unavailable, but some former Future users have switched to a product called Quick Shine, another clear acrylic gloss product.

I use Future (still have about half a bottle) for that reason, that it's cheaper than Tamiya's and other products, and it does the job, whether it's to finish my toy soldiers in gloss, or gloss-coating before decaling. It can be brushed by hand or airbrushed, and cleans up with a weak ammonia solution. But that's my preference. I can use it on my vinyl floors, too.

I use it over Tamiya acrylics, as well as over Andrea's, Vallejo's Model Color, Lifecolor, and craft store paints Americana, Folk Art, and Apple Barrel.

Curtis
I tend to use vallejo gloss or matt thinned down 50/50 for the airbrush. Pantherman

I really like Mr. COLORS lacquer gloss but their Acrylic Flat is FLAT FLAT FLAT! if you're into that kinda thing....I am lol.

I always use a matte clear coat. I think the one I have now is Mr Colors. I will only use a gloss clear on automotive builds.

I've always had great success with Testors Gloss Clear - shinier than Tamiya IMO. Too bad Krylon has stopped making Testors.
Krylon doesn’t own Testors. Rustoleum owns Testors paint lines. The reason Rustoleum discontinued the Testors Model Master line is because they feel there’s no longer a need to continue the paint line.

Krylon are pure garbage for hobby uses. Ask me how I know…

The baron mentioned Quick Shine that i believe is a Holloway House product.
If anyone goes looking for it make sure that what you buy is in the green label container.

What I'm really going to miss about not having Model Master (Testors) Metallizers any more. They work really well for exhausts and other underbody details.

I don’t use Future as top clearcoat. Over time they will turn yellow. So Future is a no go.

My go-to clearcoat is Testors enamel gloss and dull (flat). Last me a long time. I also have a couple acrylic PollyScale clears in my stash.

In a pinch, I will use clears from a rattlecan - mostly Rustoleum clears.
FYI, I have aircraft in my collection which are 20 years old. Most of them have canopies which were dunked in Future for clarity. I haven't noticed any yellowing on any of these models.

Are they really comparable to MM Metallizers - I've tried a lot of other stuff that just doesn't come out as well.
There aren’t any metallizers out there. Those have high ratings - probably better than MM Metallizer. Once all my Model Master enamels and acrylics are gone, AK Interactive Real Color line will be my go-to paints. I do have quite a few colors and they airbrush wonderfully.

Latest posts

Back