Brushing on Tamiya clear coat

Clearcoat shouldn’t pull paint off. Base coat meaning what?

Are you referring Tamiya “base coat” as TS-101 Base White in rattlecan? If so, that’s a lacquer paint, not enamel or acrylic spray paint. And it’s not used as a primer.
Either way, it shouldn’t have any effect on why your X-22 clear is pulling paint off.
No I used the Mr. Hobby surfacer 1000, them the XF paint the X22 clear is pulling all that off. Should I maybe try and take a bit of X-22 and water it down 30% to see if that works any better?

I used the Mr Hobby Mr white surfacer 1000, let that dry for 26 hours, then I did XF-62 (olive drab) mixed with a bit of XF-2 (flat white) and a touch of XF-60 (dark yellow) to make a custom Olive drab that I then brushed on in thin coats, let each coat dry for at least 24 hours. And one final coat to even out the whole thing and then let it fully cure for 4 days. And as for the X-22 clear coat. I put it on thin and spread and it still pulled off the paint down to the plastic. It even pulled off the surfacer primer
IDK , man .
That shouldn't be happening .
I searched the web to see if this is a thing and found nothing .
Are you thinning the X-22 and if so , with what ?

What was the kit this last happened with ?

IDK , man .
That shouldn't be happening .
I searched the web to see if this is a thing and found nothing .
Are you thinning the X-22 and if so , with what ?

What was the kit this last happened with ?
No i didnt thin it at all, its happening on the Tamiya De Havilland mosquito, as you can see from the photo this was a small area I did to test and you can see the paint striped right off

A4F91F88-70EB-441E-95BF-94A261901B40.jpeg

Is that plastic or the surfacer 1000 showing thru ?

That happened instantly ? or after repeated brushing ?

When you say "brushing", are you airbrushing or brushing by hand?

I second Momo's question about what you're using to thin the Tamiya X-22. I'll include in that question any other Tamiya acrylic colors you're using.

I use Tamiya's acrylics all the time, and apply them by hand as well as airbrushing. I get my best results using Tamiya's proprietary thinner for their acrylics. I know others may use other solutions, like isopropyl, but none of the others worked as well for me, as Tamiya's proprietary thinner. The only exception is using lacquer thinner for airbrushing Tamiya acrylic paints. That thins the paint well, and it enhances the matte finish of matte colors, but not enough for me to use in place of Tamiya's own thinner.

The picture you posted of your Mosquito reminds me of how Tamiya's acrylics worked for me when brushing by hand and before I learned to thin the paint. Before that, I'd lay down one coat, let it dry, then try to apply a second coat. I found that often, the second coat would pull up the first coat. The effect varied from color to color, which I put down to the chemical composition of the pigments. Black and white were the worst colors for this. When I started airbrushing regularly, I always thinned the Tamiya acrylics, and that's when it hit me to do it for hand-brushing.

When you say "brushing", are you airbrushing or brushing by hand?

I second Momo's question about what you're using to thin the Tamiya X-22. I'll include in that question any other Tamiya acrylic colors you're using.

I use Tamiya's acrylics all the time, and apply them by hand as well as airbrushing. I get my best results using Tamiya's proprietary thinner for their acrylics. I know others may use other solutions, like isopropyl, but none of the others worked as well for me, as Tamiya's proprietary thinner. The only exception is using lacquer thinner for airbrushing Tamiya acrylic paints. That thins the paint well, and it enhances the matte finish of matte colors, but not enough for me to use in place of Tamiya's own thinner.

The picture you posted of your Mosquito reminds me of how Tamiya's acrylics worked for me when brushing by hand and before I learned to thin the paint. Before that, I'd lay down one coat, let it dry, then try to apply a second coat. I found that often, the second coat would pull up the first coat. The effect varied from color to color, which I put down to the chemical composition of the pigments. Black and white were the worst colors for this. When I started airbrushing regularly, I always thinned the Tamiya acrylics, and that's when it hit me to do it for hand-brushing.
He says on page 1 : " I used the Mr Hobby Mr white surfacer 1000, let that dry for 26 hours, then I did XF-62 (olive drab) mixed with a bit of XF-2 (flat white) and a touch of XF-60 (dark yellow) to make a custom Olive drab that I then brushed on in thin coats, let each coat dry for at least 24 hours. And one final coat to even out the whole thing and then let it fully cure for 4 days. And as for the X-22 clear coat. I put it on thin and spread and it still pulled off the paint down to the plastic. It even pulled off the surfacer primer "

He doesn't have an airbrush .

Like this is really starting to annoy me. So basically I think next time im at a hobby shop im gonna stock up on as many spray cans of clear and paint as I can, and use the brushing for small parts and intricate detailing

He says on page 1 : " I used the Mr Hobby Mr white surfacer 1000, let that dry for 26 hours, then I did XF-62 (olive drab) mixed with a bit of XF-2 (flat white) and a touch of XF-60 (dark yellow) to make a custom Olive drab that I then brushed on in thin coats, let each coat dry for at least 24 hours. And one final coat to even out the whole thing and then let it fully cure for 4 days. And as for the X-22 clear coat. I put it on thin and spread and it still pulled off the paint down to the plastic. It even pulled off the surfacer primer "

He doesn't have an airbrush .
Thanks, Momo! The Internet has ruined my reading comprehension; I went right past that.

Then I stand by the advice to thin the Tamiya products with Tamiya's proprietary thinner. That's what I do. When I paint figures and use Tamiya acrylic colors, I paint them on by hand. And I always thin them with Tamiya's X-20A. I have no problems, whether like this one, or any other, when I use their thinner.

Last edited:
It was fully mixed ?
Stirred well so it was uniform ?

I have no idea how this is happening . It sounds like you're doing everything correctly .
The only thing I'm left with is the clear is not mixed well and you're brushing on mostly the alcohol / water vehicle for the resin ----------- but , judging by what you have said so far , I'm doubting that you didn't ensure the clear was completely homogenized .
... the color coat too .

It’s possible you may have gotten a bad bottle of X-22? Perhaps some contamination of some other thinner or water? Those could be probable causes.
Yea im thinking that is the issue. Im waiting for payday tp pickup a few models to stock up. Another airbrush kit setup and im gonna grab a few cans of the matte gloss

Latest posts

Back