Dragon 1/32 P-51

Well that's lovely. Haven't even clipped the clear parts off the sprue yet. Hmm, perhaps I better do that now.

Thanks for the heads up. So what else is in that WIP pile? Don't blame you for putting it at the bottom. I would do the same but I'm sick of having unfinished kits around. I have three right now that need completed, and two that I would like to rework.

Thanks for the encouragement and comments guys.
all the best

Too much in my WIP Stash. I actually order the replacement landing gear earlier this week. I really wasn't planning on going after this Tamiya kit.

I know a couple of tricks that may work on that windscreen. Fill in the gap with CA and sand like hell. The technique is proven but not easy to accomplish. Or order a new Squadron replacement...

i believe it is a ok kit despite what some people say, and looks like he is doing a good job of doing this kit justice...

Don't get me wrong, Myke is doing a fine job, all the testament to modeler who can stay at it with a kit like this. The Dragon kit does has faults and they are well documented, some documented better than others (like the windscreen, I never saw anything about the windscreen).

So Myke, go on with your bad self! 8) Can't wait to see the next update.

Moon Puppy said:
Don't get me wrong, Myke is doing a fine job, all the testament to modeler who can stay at it with a kit like this. The Dragon kit does has faults and they are well documented, some documented better than others (like the windscreen, I never saw anything about the windscreen).

So Myke, go on with your bad self! 8) Can't wait to see the next update.

yea it has its ups and downs, i have seen some of the reviews... you guys know this, we have been looking a them quite frequently drooling over all the Different 1/32 scale kits they have...

After a lovely weekend of playing four matches in a soccer tournament (we lost in the final), in the 108 degrees on the field temperatures. I've found it quite fantastic to be in the air conditioning rehydrating and working on this beast. I haven't let the fact that the Tamiya version is out get me down too much, but it has definitely changed the way I build this. As I mentioned before, it's going on a shelf and the exterior is really the big focus on this one. Not making a fuss of the cockpit or the intake or the landing gear bays or anything else.
With that being said..., this Dragon kit really is nice IMO. With a little care and extra attention, straight out of the box, this kit is brilliant. (keeping in mind that I don't really take subtle inaccuracies in to count when reviewing)

So what have I accomplished yesterday?

Got the painting done and added the cockpit pieces...,

IMG_20110725_112959.jpg

...completed the rear section of the cockpit and equipment...,

IMG_20110725_115304.jpg

...gave everything a good wash and some drybrushing...,

IMG_20110726_092800.jpg

...got the assembly done..., (everything fits in really nice too btw)
IMG_20110726_095220.jpg

...and sealed it up.

IMG_20110726_113341.jpg

Everything is glued up on the top and the nose. The bottom tail section is still open so I can squeeze in the rear gear. I'll have that done tonight.

I've also managed to complete all the wing assemblies, paint, wash, and weather the landing gear bays, and brush on a good helping of Mr. Surfacer 500 to the wing rivet and panel line detail. Hopefully I'll get that sanded off later today but I want to make sure it's good and dry.

Thanks for following along.

It does look sharp and clean, Myke!!

well about the 1:32 P-51, our local Tamiya dealer already announce the beast has arrived and it cost about $100 converted to our local currency, even though Japan is a only a few hours away from my country, I'll just feast my eyes on this. :)

Oh! 108 degrees and playing soccer? Must have drank a lot of water prior, and/or did a lot of dry heaving during your matches. ;)

Excellent work on this one Myke, the paint chipping really catches my attention.

Keep it up mate!

Myke said:
After a lovely weekend of playing four matches in a soccer tournament (we lost in the final), in the 108 degrees on the field temperatures. I've found it quite fantastic to be in the air conditioning rehydrating and working on this beast. I haven't let the fact that the Tamiya version is out get me down too much, but it has definitely changed the way I build this. As I mentioned before, it's going on a shelf and the exterior is really the big focus on this one. Not making a fuss of the cockpit or the intake or the landing gear bays or anything else.
With that being said..., this Dragon kit really is nice IMO. With a little care and extra attention, straight out of the box, this kit is brilliant. (keeping in mind that I don't really take subtle inaccuracies in to count when reviewing)

So what have I accomplished yesterday?

Got the painting done and added the cockpit pieces...,

IMG_20110725_112959.jpg

...completed the rear section of the cockpit and equipment...,

IMG_20110725_115304.jpg

...gave everything a good wash and some drybrushing...,

IMG_20110726_092800.jpg

...got the assembly done..., (everything fits in really nice too btw)
IMG_20110726_095220.jpg

...and sealed it up.

IMG_20110726_113341.jpg

Everything is glued up on the top and the nose. The bottom tail section is still open so I can squeeze in the rear gear. I'll have that done tonight.

I've also managed to complete all the wing assemblies, paint, wash, and weather the landing gear bays, and brush on a good helping of Mr. Surfacer 500 to the wing rivet and panel line detail. Hopefully I'll get that sanded off later today but I want to make sure it's good and dry.

Thanks for following along.

Looking good Myke, I sometimes wonder if we don't get to obsessed with the cockpit, especially when it gets all sealed up and you can't see all the extra stuff you get in there. Go man Go!

Thank you all for the kind words!

@ Fruit: Yes, it was positively murderous. No dry heaving thankfully, and yea, loads of fluids. Went through a case of water and a few of the big gatorade bottles plus a few giant Evian bottles (for some reason they were at the tournament giving it away). My kidneys are well flushed to say the least.

@ Moon Puppy: I agree. I've built kits in the past where I added a blank over the cockpit and never touched it. I enjoy having the depth of the cockpit in there, but on a build like this, definately not something I'm going to fuss over. If you compare the photos with your instruction sheet, you'll see what parts are missing.

I'm continuing the work with the Mr. Surfacer 500. If I were to spray it on, and potentially save me a lot of time, I think I would go through about 12 cans of the stuff. So in an effort to save money, it's back to the brush.

These lines really are more like trenches, and the riviets look like they go through the wing at certain places.

Here is a couple shots of the 1st coat brushed on. I had to dab the MR. S. 500 into the lines just to fill them.

IMG_20110727_104007.jpg

IMG_20110727_104012.jpg

Here is a comparison shot on the bottom 1/2 of the wings. The right obviously with a coat and the left has had the putty sanded down to a smooth finish. Def. going to need a couple of coats.

IMG_20110727_104017.jpg

If all goes to plan, I should end up with a pretty realistic look of an aged surface.

looks like that is turning out quite well, i like the details here, like how you made the lines for the landing gear compartments. seam filling going well, just bring the ammo doors out a little more as Gudamhead stated.

Yes. All pertinent detail will be scribed back into the surface. The starboard wing will have the ammo doors open in fact.

Latest posts

Back