Dragon 1/32 P-51

That's a pretty cool build there MP. I've never seen that technique before. I'll have to give that a try sometime. Never would have thought that CA wouldn't stick to box tape. Awesome.

I considered some styrene filler and CA and different types of putty and settled on this because it sands off so easy, and with such a lot of surface area to sand, I thought this would be the quickest. A trick to scribing on Mr. Surfacer is a shot of lacquer clear coat over it first. Works great.

Thanks for looking out.

I had tried Mr. Surfacer to fill in gaps like this but found the shrinkage factor made me go back and fill and refill time and again. That CA trick is a first shot git'er done trick. Anywho...looking forward to the next installment. ;D

So I got some more work done, and I got to do some experimenting. I like trying out new techniques. :)

First off...

..., installed the engine covers with the "clear" parts. I use quotations because they are not even close to being clear. The engine is just a haze under the covers.

IMG_20110728_101228.jpg

But on to the more interesting stuff.
Here is the wing after 2 coats of Mr. Surfacer, and a quick light sanding with some 240 paper. (note: The Mr. Surfacer was quickly and liberally applied with a wide brush.)

IMG_20110729_144103.jpg

And here it is after a some passes with 400 grit paper. (Wet Sand)

IMG_20110729_173029.jpg

Benifit of this method is that it goes on quick, sands off very easily, and fills the holes after a couple of liberal coats of the liquid putty. The down side is that it needs a good bit of time to dry and set up, thus it is somewhat time consuming.

I attempted the technique that Moon Puppy sent me a link to (a technique within a build log). DISCLAIMER: I did not go back and review the exact steps, but I'm pretty sure I had it correct.
So the general idea is to fill the holes with CA Glue. Take some CA, put it on the surface, cover it with box tape (glue won't stick to the tape), and then smooth it into the holes reducing the amount you have to sand.

Marked of the area that is being filled

IMG_20110729_151056.jpg

Smeared on the glue

IMG_20110729_151422.jpg

Sanded off after about an hour of drying time.

IMG_20110729_171424.jpg

It filled the holes about as good as the Mr. Surfacer, but it did leave a few holes empty. I'm not sure if the tape pulled the glue out or not, but not a big deal really. The only downfall to this (if i'm doing it correctly) is there is still a film of CA glue that coats the surface, and it takes great care to keep it from going over the sides. So, in turn, there is significant amount of sanding that has to be done. The CA is also a lot harder to sand off than the Mr. Surfacer.
The benefit is that this is quicker at the end of the day, but the downside is that the CA takes more work to sand off. I think this will be best served for smaller areas rather than the entire surface of the aircraft. It really does eliminate a lof of thick build up and excessive sanding though for areas like seam lines and small gaps, and i'm def. going to use it on my gaps for this build when i get the wings meeting up with the fuselage.

So anyways, on to the next.
Just wanted to show you guys the fantastic product that is ...., Mr. Metal colors. They come in all the standard metal colors; Chrome Silver, Nickel, Steel, Stainless Steel, Gold, Brass, Polished Aluminum, and some others (those are the ones I have anyways). What makes these so great is that they are all buffable, they dry in about 30 seconds, and can be brushed on. I've sprayed (without thinning) and brushed, then buffed and polished, and cannot tell the difference between the two.

I brushed on some of the wheel hubs for examples.

IMG_20110729_154214.jpg

Sorry for the lighting.

IMG_20110729_153615.jpg

IMG_20110729_154159.jpg

Those are after about 20/30 sec. drying time then just buffed down with a cotton swab.

I got most all of the wings sanded down now, but I got paged into work so it'll be probably Sunday before I can get the wings attached to the fuselage. Thanks for watching

All the best

I'll try to get some better photos of the wheel hubs. The sun was just shining right off the metal color.

Great little trick you picked up the Myke! Thanks for the little SBS

Rims look great too. I can see a bit of a difference on the sprayed on but they both look really nice!! I will have to look into picking some up!! Thanks!! ;)

Myke said:
I attempted the technique that Moon Puppy sent me a link to (a technique within a build log). DISCLAIMER: I did not go back and review the exact steps, but I'm pretty sure I had it correct.
So the general idea is to fill the holes with CA Glue. Take some CA, put it on the surface, cover it with box tape (glue won't stick to the tape), and then smooth it into the holes reducing the amount you have to sand.

Marked of the area that is being filled

IMG_20110729_151056.jpg

Smeared on the glue

IMG_20110729_151422.jpg

Sanded off after about an hour of drying time.

IMG_20110729_171424.jpg

It filled the holes about as good as the Mr. Surfacer, but it did leave a few holes empty. I'm not sure if the tape pulled the glue out or not, but not a big deal really. The only downfall to this (if i'm doing it correctly) is there is still a film of CA glue that coats the surface, and it takes great care to keep it from going over the sides. So, in turn, there is significant amount of sanding that has to be done. The CA is also a lot harder to sand off than the Mr. Surfacer.
The benefit is that this is quicker at the end of the day, but the downside is that the CA takes more work to sand off. I think this will be best served for smaller areas rather than the entire surface of the aircraft. It really does eliminate a lof of thick build up and excessive sanding though for areas like seam lines and small gaps, and i'm def. going to use it on my gaps for this build when i get the wings meeting up with the fuselage.

Looked good, I think the only thing that may have been wrong is the drying time of the CA. It may have been longer than you need and the CA sat up too hard. I give it about 10 minutes max. You followed the directions much better than I did, I didn't bother with the tape and had a lot, I mean a LOT of sanding to do. But I was using the 240 grit stuff so it went through it quickly.

Honestly I haven't tried it in this application. I sealed up a huge gap on the windscreen of the BONE using this technique. Filling in with CA. I understand it would be clear also once standed down with fine grain paper and mesh.

Mr Surfacer does the job as well!

Those wheels loook COOOLL!!!

Thank you gentlemen!

@ TRM: I forgot to clarify. The Picture of the two wheels below are both brush painted, the one one the right is the result post buffing with a q-tip. The are fantastic and I highly recommend. ;-) (Currently looking for some sponsorship from them. haha)

IMG_20110729_153615.jpg

@ MP: With the CA, I started with 240 grit too. I think I might have sanded some of the concave out of that piece though with my vigorous sanding. Oops. With the Mr. Surfacers, I can just wet sand away with 400 since it's so much softer. When I try it again I won't let it dry for quite so long. Good call.

Thanks for checking in everybody.

I built this kit a while back, the detail IS very heavy and there are a lot of errors with the cockpit and the rudder isn't right. But hey, the heavy details can take a LOT of paint and the overall shape really isn't that bad. I was really impressed with the shock system for the gear struts as well. It was a fun build especially for only 40 bucks. If you can't afford the new Tamiya one then this is your best bet in 1/32 scale.

Looking forward to how it turns out. :)

Ialarmu said:
I built this kit a while back, the detail IS very heavy and there are a lot of errors with the cockpit and the rudder isn't right. But hey, the heavy details can take a LOT of paint and the overall shape really isn't that bad. I was really impressed with the shock system for the gear struts as well. It was a fun build especially for only 40 bucks. If you can't afford the new Tamiya one then this is your best bet in 1/32 scale.
Looking forward to how it turns out. :)

I agree. For the price, this is a pretty good representation of the P-51 in 1/32 scale. Tamyia just blows everything away, nothing new I guess. haha

Sorry for the lack of updates folks, haven't had a lot of time to work on it, and when I have, it's just been the sanding of the control surfaces to remove the Mr. Surfacer. I'm nearly finished with the cleanup, and going to start assembly soon.

Looking terrific Myke! Nice clean work. Between yours and pups buildlogs I'm learning a lot of great tips. Thanks for logging.

Moon Puppy said:
Myke, I decided to pick up my Dragon also. Have you test fitted the windscreen yet?
The windscreen is an issue but, with some careful filing and reshaping you can get a snug fit.

Ialarmu said:
Moon Puppy said:
Myke, I decided to pick up my Dragon also. Have you test fitted the windscreen yet?
The windscreen is an issue but, with some careful filing and reshaping you can get a snug fit.

@ MP: I have test fit it and yea, it's pretty rough, but it looks like some trimming in one spot will solve it. Lets hope I'm right. I'll post how I sorted it out though to save you (and hopefully others) the time troubleshooting it. Nice to see you doing the dual build. Looking forward to seeing them kinda "side by side." Awesome!

@ Ialarmu: Once again I agree..., little filing should sort it out. :)

Thanks for following fumblethumbs, glad you like the build log.

GENTLEMEN!!!!!!!!

My many apologies, but I have shelved this kit for now. I have just completely lost interest in it after spending copious amount of hours filling those ridiculous rivets and panel lines.

So for only the third time in my modelling career, I'm stopping a project 1/2 way through and carrying on to other stuff.

Thanks for watching and sorry for not having a completed build for you guys at the moment.

No worries Myke. It happens. I rarely get through an entire build without switching up. Keeps it fun! Be sure to let us know what's next.

Only three?!!! :eek:

Dude, model for yourself. If you lost interest move on and maybe one day it will beckon you back. Sort of like the B58 I have or the Wildcat.. Buffalo...Piper...that well diorama...

Latest posts

Back