Dragon 1/32 P-51

Myke said:
Eastrock said:
Nice update, Myke especially with the engine most of the parts are really small how long did you assembled it? and how did you remove it from the sprue tree with losing the tiny parts? I'm quite worried with the raptor lots of small parts. Thanks!!!
cheers!!!

It took me about two hours to cut them off, clean them up, and glue them all together. It went together quite easily too.
I removed them with sprue cutters and cleaned them up with a knife and file. I usually clip the part away from the sprue a little so i can grab the part while i snip it off. Gets tough with my stubby fingers though.

Thanks myke, btw did you paint the cockpit tub all black?

Anytime.

I haven't started painting the cockpit just yet, but from what research I've found, it appears that the floor was wood covered in a black coating, and the rest was that "interior green" (I'm assuming it's close to MM Green Zinc Chromate), and the boxes behind the cockpit are a flat black.
Not sure if anyone can/could validate that? What is absolutely bizarre to me, is that in the instructions, the callout is to paint is H80 (Gunze colors), which, when I looked it up, is like a sea blue or prussion blue... what up wid dat??

Carsenault said:
Just a correction on my part. I mis identified the engines of the early Mustang variabnts as a Griffin, I believe thats actually a later engine variant. The early Mustangs were powered by an Allison engine.

A-36 aka P-51A (Alison V-12 approximety 1,200HP )

P-51B/P-51C (Rolls Royce Packard Merlin V-1650-3 V-12. 1,390HP Takeoff 1,590HP Military Power 1,720HP W.E.P Boost)

P-51D/P-51K (Rolls Royce Packard Merlin V-1650-7 V-12. 1,490HP Takeoff, 1,695HP military power 1,720HP W.E.P Boost)

P-51H (Rolls Royce Packard Merlin V-1650-9 V-12, 1,490HP Takeoff 2,200+HP W.E.P Boost)

i think the Griffon V-12 was a later production variant, that produced over 2,000HP and was placed in the later spitfires, i have only seen one mustang equipped with this engine, and this was just a Reno Racing Mustang.

Myke said:
Show's what I know. Didn't even realize there was a model H :eek:

ooh yea that baby was fast. the P-51H was a post war variant primarily used during the Korean war... it had a smaller dorsal fin, and other modifications made to the wings to make it slightly more agile, but the biggest improvement was its Rolls Royce Packard Merlin V-1650-9 with a new War Emergency Power boost system, this system boosted the engines horsepower to a mind blowing 2,200+HP. this made the mustang probably the fastest piston fighter of history, the P-51H could fly over 480MPH flat out balls to the wall. they also had "light weight" variants that where concepts, but they never saw production, the P-51 Mustang was finally retired from service in the 1980s! the last variants where equpped with all sorts of hard points and where powered buy turboprop and used in the ground attack role, beacuse of the mustangs versatility it was used for a long... time.

Looks like a real nice kit! That should be a beauty once finished! I'm gonna have to look into this kit.. :)

holy crap that Tamiya P-51 is just under 70 euros thats a lot for a kit that you will most likly be able to build a second aircraft from all the spare bits u will have left over.

spud said:
holy crap that Tamiya P-51 is just under 70 euros thats a lot for a kit that you will most likly be able to build a second aircraft from all the spare bits u will have left over.

haha, yea..., two for the price of one! Just cast the two fuselage halves before you put it together.

After a good 10 day layoff or so, I'm back at the bench.

Since this is an OOB build, it is really up to me the modeller to highlight the details that come with the kit. Since this has the option to reveal the engine, and the engine is well detailed, I think it's a must show (for the judges that is). In order to do that I must focus on the fundamentals. Good painting and weathering to highlight the details and show off the kits parts, good clean up of the parts, and good construction with attention to the details. With that being said, I've begun looking over some of those great engine pics that your guys were so kind to share with me, and wil try to replicate some of this weather.

First step the engine was primed with some nato black (leftover from the BlackHawk build). The next layer is Tamiya's Red Brown as a "rust layer," and then it was shot with some hairspray.

IMG_20110712_125856.jpg

The engine will be highlighted now with various metallica shades. Tamiya's Chrome Silver, Titan Gold, and Flat Aluminum should bring this out.

IMG_20110712_125924.jpg

The engine block in many photos has that kinda "steel" look to it. I'm not sure if this is oxidation or just dirt and grime build up, but to attempt to replicat that, I've sprayed the block Tamiya's Titan Gold. This color is very close to Testor MM's Enamel Steel. A very versital color with many applications.

IMG_20110712_132331.jpg

As This layer dries, I moved on to the weapons. Tanks, bombs, ammunition, guns, and rockets all clipped from the sprue.

IMG_20110712_135915.jpg

The access panels for the gun bays port side have been removed from the top 1/2 of the wing.

IMG_20110712_135920.jpg

Loosly dry fitting the guns and ammo chains.

IMG_20110712_135929.jpg

I've decided to go with the paper tanks and some rockets. This decision was helped by my dog who destroyed one 1/2 of one of the bombs. The detail on these tanks are very delicate and take great care to clean up the seems.

IMG_20110712_140146.jpg

If you do it correctly, you can produce a line of raised detail to mix right in where the seam line should be. This is the melted plastic spit out by the glueing process. Just glue the two halves and squeeze tightly together.

IMG_20110712_144906.jpg

That's it for now..., I'll be working on the engine tonight as I work on adding some filters and slight rusting to the engine block.

That engines gonna be a show piece...off to a great start!! Love the guns and ammo on this too!!!! :eek:

Yo Myke, you doin' open gun bays. Want some PE to go in there?

I got the Big Ed set years ago when I thought Eduard was the bomb but then I had a falling out over them, long story. I have a lot of PE for this bird, I know I'm not going to use the gun bay stuff because it's going to be sealed up. I'm debating on bombs or fuel tanks right now. I know I haven't used anything out of it yet, and if I do it may be only the bomb fins.

Let me know, really good progress so far, that engine rocks.

Thanks everybody!!!

Moon Puppy: Thanks a million for the PE offer. Any other time I would take you up on it in a heartbeat, but since the detail in this kit is so good, I decided to build it completely OOB so I can enter it our local IPMS competition in Feb of 2012. I looked at the Big Ed set and there is A LOT, and for the guns... man it completely changes the entire bay.

So what happened with Eduard if you don't mind me asking. I bought some stuff off them when I was at the IPMS Nationals back in 2009 and the main guy creeped me out!!

Myke said:
Thanks everybody!!!

Moon Puppy: Thanks a million for the PE offer. Any other time I would take you up on it in a heartbeat, but since the detail in this kit is so good, I decided to build it completely OOB so I can enter it our local IPMS competition in Feb of 2012. I looked at the Big Ed set and there is A LOT, and for the guns... man it completely changes the entire bay.

Yes it does, lots of detail added in, I really haven't studied what all is in there but I guess I'll use it for scrap stuff to fill in spots.

Myke said:
So what happened with Eduard if you don't mind me asking. I bought some stuff off them when I was at the IPMS Nationals back in 2009 and the main guy creeped me out!!

I never met anyone from Eduard, but I came to the realization that their accuracy is lacking, when I found Ed using square blocks to represent cylinder shaped components I started looking closer. The structural items in nature just flat out sucks (Like B-1B Afterburners!). Cosmetic stuff like the Zoom color stuff is OK, just check your references if you want to be sure of what you've got. If you're not that worried about it, it's cool too.

I've never tried any of their resin stuff, I'll keep an open mind about that but the Big Ed stuff...never again.

Latest posts

Back