Do your friends, colleagues or family belittle your hobby?

Jaitea

I used to build loads of models when I was a kid, less when I got married,....even less when we had kids, before me and my wife broke up she would put me off my hobby by making remarks about it being childish.

Now although I still have full custody of my son & split my the time I have with my daughter ( i have her 50% of the time) + working overtime in work I have never enjoyed myself as much with my hobby.

Colleagues have now started taking the pi** about my model building, so now I don't mention it in work and rarely check out this site at work

When I was off for a week last year one of them posted on FaceBook that I was probably taking a week off to make "Tracy Island"

I used to see the funny side & I still laugh it off, but t's kinda getting a bit tiresome

J

Honestly, they are the childish ones that don't recognize the hobby.

What do they do for hobbies? I bet they have some things they do that others would also find childish.

I say good riddens to those that don't understand and ridicule us for what we like to do.

I work along so....but when I didn't my employee thought it was cool - but he's an artist too so.

My wife rags about it a bit...but in fun. When I give bench time a bit too much time she cranks about me playing with my plastic. Then I show her a finished piece and she's usually impressed.

I try...try...not to let opinions of others dictate how I spend my minutes. One life to live man.

I'm really lucky, my wife completely supports my hobby often giving me a useful second opinion when I need it (mind you she gets to spend her time playing call of duty while I'm busy gluing and painting! )
I thought my friends would take the mickey so kept it quiet for a long time but when I was brave enough to admit my plastic addiction they were really interested. Many of them modelled as kids and it brought back memories for them.

Like Scott said its your life and your hobby, no need to apologise for it!

When my wife and it first met, she initially also thought it was a case of "boys and their toys" but being someone whom used to paint with water colors and oil on canvas, quickly recognized the artistry and the amount of work that goes into building a model into something that is realistic.

In the process she also got involved in building some herself. She did get an X-wing, but never built to (too late, it's in my stash now) but has since gotten into painting figures a bit, so that keeps her interested.

Most of my friends are or were involved in buildings models at one time as well, so I don't see much of the naysayers. As well, with my shop in my house, most people coming through the door are interested in models as well...so I don't see much of the looking down the nose at it.

Those that do...I don't have time for their childish ways.

I have a lot of support from family and friends. Most are intrigued by the models. The most comment I get is " I don't know where you get the patients and to be able to handle the tiny bits. If it was me it would end up in the garbage in no time.".
Being single and retired I do have a lot of free time. The main complaint I get from family is " You spend too much time at your bench. Do you ever get out?". I guess I'm a little guilty of this, this time of year, just hate winter.
My landlord is always curious to what is on the bench today.

Jim

I am lucky everyone I know supports my hobby even my work mates one of which still likes to do then on occasion. I fell people who make fun of another's hobbies are just jealous that they have no skills.

Being a slightly younger person (29) that is into this hobby, I dealt with a lot of negative sub conscience thoughts about what my friends or colleagues would think about it. As my skills have developed over the years I have equally diminished those type of thoughts. I think us modelers are the cream of the crop, we're intelligent, creative, good with our hands, artistic, motivated, problem solvers, passionate, and outside the box type thinkers. There is absolutely nothing you can do to stop people from judging and evaluating you from what they see on the surface. Haters are going to hate no matter what and I genuinely feel sorry for them. If only they could have a hobby as enriching as mine.

I never had the problem, though the wife says I have too many kits unbuilt. Then I point out her collection of purses and shoes she doesn't use everyday.

My wife is very supportive of me spending an appropriate amount of time at the bench. We've fallen into a great routine where I build when she and my daughter are asleep. In terms of work, my co- workers used to bust my chops pretty hard until I brought a finished model in. They couldn't believe how detailed it was etc. Didn't hurt that I also brought in the gold medal it won. Now, most of my coworkers ask me almost daily what I'm working on.

I don't post hardly anything on FB which is kind of a shame because I'm friends with a lot of Modelers on there, most of my friends are beer swilling arrogant loud louts and would find it incredibly funny taking the p#*s out of my models if I did. That being said my real close friends and family support me no end and when I show them a magazine I've been in or a medal I've won it shuts the Micky takers up pretty quick. I DO find though that I spend more time thinking about modelling than I do about my house, work and how I'm going to pay the bills every month lol

Great topic.

I went the same path as I guess most of you have, built as a kid, stopped in my teens, rediscovered it as an adult.

My kids love it, they themselves have been handling an AB since they were age 8. My wife tolerates it, but isn't a fan, but she definitely sees the merit of it. Better me spending money and time at the bench under my roof than at a pub, right?

In terms of friends, it comes down to their level of creativity. Those who are, love the results and see it for what it is, an artistic expression. Those who aren't creative, tend not to understand it and as human nature dictates, if you don't understand it, you belittle it.

It doesn't bother me, it's mostly a friend just messing around the same as they would regarding being a fan of a rival team or anything else. I do find that if I'm talking to a stranger about it, I usually have to explain, it's not like it was when we were kids, a cheap kit covered in gluey fingerprints on a card table with tipped over Pactra bottles (well sometimes it is, just more accurate kits and better paint).

As a result though, I no longer think any hobby is 'out there'. I don't get reenacting or cosplay myself but definitely see how people would like it, so it's all good.

When someone has a spouse complaining about this hobby they need to be reminded of the possible alternative that John has described in his drinking loud mouth friends. But to be fair you should ask yourself, do I spend more time with the bobby than with my honey? If so, maybe you could spend more time modeling in the common area where everyone else is. Or even get them involved. I bought my wife some 1/35 farm animals. She loves horses and other animals. I heard of another guy who has a hobby room. One side of this huge table is his modeling space. On the other side is his wife's scrap booking space. So you don't even have to be doing the same thing while enjoying each other's company. If none of this works, then maybe you should spend more time at the bar. ;D

Jaitea, I bet the reason you enjoy this hobby so much is because is it relaxing and a nice break away from everyday life. It is easy to get in a meditative state while modeling or doing other hobbies. Drawing and painting will get you in that "zone" as well. While doing these sort of activities/hobbies it is hard to think of negative things like personal relationships, paying bills or how messed up the world is.

I can also in a positive sense Voice. My girlfriend is very good with my hobby cope and I'm really happy , it gives me inspiration and is also to me wen i need ideas. Si I am improving steadily. Thanks to her. And my circle of friends are really all too modellers make with people about the hobby Funny because if can not understand it or want to be seen. I have not much to do

I must admit it's not something I talk about with work colleagues or casual acquaintances. It's a hard thing to explain because I'm not embarrassed that it's one of my hobbies more so that I think most people don't get what it is , i.e. All the things you guys have mentioned above.

I'd be much more comfortable talking about it with those people after they have seen my finished product and then they can appreciate the work that goes into it and not just pigeonhole it as something lame or just for kids.

Those model train guys on the other hand..... ::) ( just kidding )

Well... Ill keep it short:

>I met my best firend in a toyshop in the mid 90ies - still having a good time!
>I cant het enough of modelling stuff, but found a "special interest (figures, scifi, fantasy)
>my SWMBO shares it - and is doing some fantasy figures as well from time to time.
>Many people I know tend to say "Cool". Or "A bit nerdy, but... cool!". ;)

Thanks guys, it seems that there's a lot of positive situations out there, and some similar to my own.

It's not that I can't handle my workmates jokes, it's just that I know they don't see me the same way.

My job doing computer graphics obviously shows my artistic side, but when my wife and I split they probably thought I should be out hunting for a new woman, but instead I've gotten back into the hobby,....which makes me happy

J

Do what makes you happy.
Only real complaints I've ever gotten about doing this are concerning the space to store/display them

I get odd looks or so when I mention I do this. Then I show pics on my phone or people see it at my house and have nothing but nice things to say. ;D

The most common thing is "I could never have the patience for that!"

I definitely think that is an awesome trait we all have.

Latest posts

Back