Bandai AT-ST

Scrach said:
Nice looking kit, I had the impression Bandai were a little toyish, guees not.
I'll have to ad this to my want list...
That's just how I thought but after inspecting the parts I've totally changed my mind.

Ha! Thanks for the commenting guys. Yeah, not toyish at all actually, very much 'a model'. The plastic, however, is a bit different than your standard styrene. It's not vinyl but there's something in it that makes it a bit different.

Last night I had some time to work on a few steps. Some of this is rather elementary but I thought it would be helpful to understanding this kit.

4763.jpg

Basic, I know, but when removing parts from the tree pay close attention to the gates. There are several parts that have small alignment pins that look very much like a simple sprue gate; don't cut them off. Just pay attention to the instructions and look ahead a step or two every so often.

Also note, in the orange circle, that pieces of the sprue are missing. These 'shot' across the room as I snipped the part off and left me thinking I lost a part - but didn't. It's happened enough that I feel I should mention it.

4764.jpg

A few very tiny pieces add detail to the already detailed legs.

4765.jpg

You won't need much in the way of grit to clean up gates. I've used this light, multi grit sanding stick most often.

4766.jpg

The plastic is 'different' and Tamiya Xtra thin works but remains tacky longer than expected.

4767.jpg

Although this is a snap kit, and fits together excellent, I want to remove all visible seams - orange circle. This process starts with glue.

4768.jpg

Here's a good photo of how the Tamiya Xtra Thin is reacting with the plastic. I will let this cure for a while and then putty the seam with Mr. Dissolved Putty.

4769.jpg

A closeup of the excellent leg detail. Again, more seams that could use filling - orange circle. The inside of the upper legs lack detail; time to check reference and see if something should be added from scratch; I'll let you know what I find in the archives.

4770.jpg

More leg detail...bring on the weathering!

4771.jpg

A close up of the feet. The toe, ankles, knees and hip are somewhat posable. In the future I'll post a video to really show how much articulation this model has.

4772.jpg

An overall look at the steps completed so far. I will now go back and glue up what needs gluing along with filing any seams that need filing. Back in a few days with another update.

Happy BSCing folks! Thanks for dropping in.

Why the heck did I build that MPC kit?!?! This looks a million times better. :)

Awesome kit Scott. I have an old MPC one started at home from years ago, I may just bin it for the Bandai kit.

Some paint on this thing is going to be stellar.

Jason

Thanks guys for checking in.

Bizarre said:
Will it stand on a table without that base?
No, not really, but I don't have it 100% together either. Doesn't seem like it will though, have to pin the feet.

unttld said:
I wonder if the plastic is PVC instead of HIPS.

Bandai labels what the plastic is made out of on the sprue so if is it ABS the sprue will say abs if the sprue says nothing it is styrene

Hmmm, no mention of that on there. There are two 'clock face' labels on each sprue - same area as the tree #, © etc.... One points to 2, the other 5.

ABS doesn't have a vinyl feel to it though. Which is why I thought maybe pvc. And plastic glue sets up longer on pvc than on abs or hips.

Either way. The kit looks great.

This is really a nice kit!
And you put it together like a charm - I look forward to the weathering - and maybe additional stuff on the upper leg inside.
Cheers

Great work Scott. Cant wait for mine to arrive. I plan this to be my first build of many star wars builds this year, starting May the 4th running until December 18th when movie comes out. :)

Latest posts

Back