AT-ST by Bandai

Jaitea

Here goes another one

Theres a lot of Chickens around here,.....some on the Sci-fi thread and a few here

I was intending doing this kit when the group build started as a second build,...then there were 2 of this kit on the GB

John Simmons started a second build thread so I've just gone ahead

box.jpg

I built this bit up & it went together like a dream,.....only thing I modified was the guards (unprimed) which are thinned down....they look too thick
Body.jpg

The legs, I made more articulate as Unreality demonstrated http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/SMF/index.php/topic,12128.msg185211.html#msg185211

Brilliant job.....I left out the ankle tendon thing completely as it looks wrong & I'm replacing it with styrene:
Leg%206.jpg

You can see that the bump in the rod thing should end up lining up with the end of the leg that it originates with:
Strap.jpg

The removal of this part (I didn't want to destroy it) leaves an empty space at the ankle, so i put in a small wheel from my spares box:
wheel%202.jpg
wheel.jpg

leg%205.jpg
Leg%203.jpg

This new tendon bar just slides in (I'm gonna make a new one as I kinked this one whilst sanding):
Leg%202.jpg
Leg.jpg

I also chopped off the head & forearms of one of the drivers to try and make him look more natural:
pilots.jpg

The sides of the face of the AT-ST looks a bit too angular (spotted by MonsieurTox from RPF)
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=235733&p=3589173&viewfull=1#post3589173
so I sanded a bit of a curve to the sides:
head.jpg

Thanks for looking
John

Excellent excellent. Actually doing the same styrene swap to the tenons now.

OH man this is brilliant. I might just have to build one, too!!!!!

Love the updates so far, too.

Wish I had thought of doing that wheel method before I glued the upper legs together. Nice work, man

Ha ha brilliant! Now I wanna join too! We should do a special prize for best AT ST lol!

No kidding!!! there are 3 now?

I'll offer another prize for best AT-ST: another AT-ST kit!!!

MonsieurTox (Julien) over at RPF has just commented on my mods,....I want to post this just in case anyone wants to make similar mods as I've done:

Nice job so far !

Be careful, you have posted ref pics of the ROTJ pyro AT-ST which is a whole different bird
The Bandai AT-ST was modeled after the two small go-motion AT-ST.
What you called the tendon is screwed to the wheel and that's the top of the tendon strip that slides between the back of the leg and the rod thing.

Same with the head sides, as weird as it is the pyro and go mo models have opposite curves !! I mean you recreated the convex sides of the pyro while the go mo sides are concave... And the TESB ATST head sides are straight ! Those guys were funny !

keep up the good work, this is a great kit !!

J

You gonna finish this one ? :p Looks good John .Im sure it will look impressive when you've done .

Chris.

Chris S said:
You gonna finish this one ? :p Looks good John .Im sure it will look impressive when you've done .

Chris.

Ha, Chris...most of my models never get round to the painting part,....they're usually just sitting there with a layer of primer

.....thats the real beauty of this build,......its gonna be grey!

.....bound to be a kit I can finish

....don't know about the Merkava though,.....was there ever a primer version?

J

Nice work on this.
I wonder how many of the Sci-Fi builds will wind up built from this kit

Thanks Q.....I'm thinking on making this one with an optional extra

Looking at Joe Johnston's concept art for the AT-ST's,....I like the similar style to the AT-AT's cockpit window

I was thinking on making these 'winter googles' removable....the same way the hatches on the Bandai clip on/off

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-05%20at%2008.51.46.png
Screen%20Shot%202015-04-05%20at%2008.51.28.png
At-At%20Head.jpg

This is a rough mock-up with styrene-card:
IMG_1772.jpg
IMG_1773.jpg

Thanks for looking
John

Latest posts

Back