Bandai 1/12 Boba Fett

Cave_Dweller

Hey all, here's my entry for the 2016 BSC. I haven't ever done a large scale figure, so this will be fun.

26260679952_1e5dd3c610_k.jpg

So here's where I'm at so far. He's going together fast, but there will be a few snags that will be challenging. One is that he'll have to be painted in sub-assemblies, just like most sci fi models.

Second, this is kind of a toy/model kit hybrid, and not so much a statue. I want him to be a statue, in a static pose. The figure has all kinds of joints and points of articulation, and these kind of make the model appear more as a toy.

So my plan is to figure out the pose I want him in, and glue him into that. Then I'll fill in the joints around his knees, elbows and other spots with putty and seal up the toy-like elements of the model. We'll see how that goes!

25757108433_f9284defd0_k.jpg

Belugawrx said:
Cool,..is there quite a bit of poseability,...?

There is indeed, this kit almost falls into the action figure category. There's some weapons options too, its a really well-engineered kit.

Update time. I've got all parts primed and have started to assemble his body. Working out the pose I want him in, which fits in with the contest theme. Got a wooden base sanded down and it just needs some simple terrain.

Missed some seams, so I'll have to fix those, but that's ok since I'll be adding lots of green stuff to fill in his joint seams and primering over it all again.

Oh man its been like 3 weeks since I've done an update!

I'm finally getting the motivation to make some headway. Sometimes it's hard to summon the motivation, man.

I started painting his body this week. I'm doing the cloth parts all with brush and Scale Color paints, which have a very nice ultra-matte finish and are very high quality paints.

The armor plates and stuff I will airbrush.

The greenstuff went on well, I was kinda lazy in smoothing it out. I'm a little concerned about the longevity of it, hopefully it won't crack or break off.

Here's some pics!

The leg joints I mentioned earlier, no bueno for a static figure.

26894159911_8e454507a1_z.jpg

Playing with some poses.

26358182293_2c8978f493_z.jpg

This is the pose I like best. In the movies, Boba Fett doesn't really do much other than stand around, posing with his gun. What a total poser! ::)

26357191394_819c45f109_z.jpg

My process with the greenstuff. Boba Butt.

26962630275_86aa5f2f8b_z.jpg

Ready to paint the body!

26868453932_7f00550f06_z.jpg

Early blending. The exact color of his clothing seems to vary from source to source. Some depict it as a blue-gray, and others as a light gray. I'm going with a light blue-gray!

26962624305_f2fee3670c_z.jpg

26689118370_68c2abe88a_z.jpg

Here's the base I'm building for him. You can probably guess where I'm going with this. I've never tried to make sand dunes, so this will be an adventure.

26894170691_3bdaf046bb_z.jpg

I think I know where you're going with the base... Looking very good so far. I've really got to get me some of these Bandai kits but have been waiting for the big SD!

Latest posts

Back