1/48 bandai x-wing - FINISHED with video

astroboy

I had so much fun with the small one I thought I would try the big brother. This thread will be a WIP thread so please feel free to criticize. I'm new at this but I'd like to get better.

The big difference with my approach this time is using a black primer instead of a grey one. I'm a bit worried right now about the seams. They are a bit large

Re: 1/48 bandai x-wing

Looks you're off to a good start. Is this the new Bandai kit or an older MPC/Ertl kit? I know the new bigger Bandai kit is supposed to have motorized wings.

I'm in the middle of the 1:72 kit... Would you say the 1:48 is the same quality of fit and detail?
I'm patiently waiting for the unlit (cheaper) 1:48 kit.

Yours is coming along nicely.

DRHarris61,
This is the new Bandai kit, you can tell from the electric bits in the first pic

This one is looking pretty sharp already

Scrach said:
I'm in the middle of the 1:72 kit... Would you say the 1:48 is the same quality of fit and detail?
I'm patiently waiting for the unlit (cheaper) 1:48 kit.

Yours is coming along nicely.
Thanks. I would prefer one without motorized wings too. This one goes together a bit differently. The entire thing gets built around the motor, so in may ways, it's a lot simpler. I love the way then wings clip right on the the armature.

I. Also wish they wouldn't bother with having so many colored sections for the hull. It looks a bit like a transformer. Hopefully the weathering will hide those seams

astroboy said:
What do you guys think about my base coat? Is it too white?

Nah, its ok because its going to be weathered anyway. Its how I would do mine!

Looking nice so far. Looks like it goes together rather quickly for a lit and motorized version. How would you say it is on detail accuracy?

Hagoth said:
Looking nice so far. Looks like it goes together rather quickly for a lit and motorized version. How would you say it is on detail accuracy?

I think the details are pretty good. Like I say, I haven't spent too much time with the ilm model (few resources) but it's quite detailed.

As for overall shape, I think it looks great. I've noticed that the fm xwing look a bit off to me now. And in fact, they look too smooth, too. As if the need stronger panel lines

Looking good, can't wait to see more.

What a coincidence!!! I can't wait to do more.. . (Darn life getting in the way)

Good to hear on the detail. Any feedback on the function of the wings? I'm wondering if the movement was improved over the demo model. Seemed a little out of sync and wobbly in the video of it that I saw.

Are you going to do Red 5 or one of the others?

Make this project part of life and then it does not matter that it gets in the way ;D If you figure out how to do that let me know. ;)

Hagoth said:
Good to hear on the detail. Any feedback on the function of the wings? I'm wondering if the movement was improved over the demo model. Seemed a little out of sync and wobbly in the video of it that I saw.

Are you going to do Red 5 or one of the others?

Make this project part of life and then it does not matter that it gets in the way ;D If you figure out how to do that let me know. ;)

I'm not sure how the wings compare to the demo but they aren't that bad. I will be doing red 5. Mostly because my 1/72 was a practice for this one. I also have a fine molds 1/72 that will probably turn into red leader.

As far as modeling practices go, I use my theatre scene shop to work on things. But it means I save this stuff for lunch time and downtime. Both of which I haven't gotten lately....

Starting some paneling....I'm trying to use the very limited source material, rather than other people's models for references

It's looking good so far, but I was never much of a stickler for insane levels of accuracy

Quaralane said:
It's looking good so far, but I was never much of a stickler for insane levels of accuracy

Well, the thing I love the most about all this is getting to know the intricacies. Back in the 80's, we didn't have the references that we have today. So whether a modeler uses them or not, the research is almost the best part.

That being said, I often want accuracy.....but then that ambition falls apart

Latest posts

Back