1/48 bandai x-wing - FINISHED with video

Re: 1/48 bandai x-wing

Thanks guys!

I'm gonna throw this out there.

Because there are so few pics of red five out there, I think there's a fair amount of speculation regarding the panel colours. No two studio scale models are alike!

So if you guys see any glaring omissions, please feel free to let me know. The underside of the wings are a bit tricky to figure out.

In all honesty, I think there are only about 6 helpful pics of the original out there. Most of the ones on the modeler magic site are either too blurry or too shaded

Scrach said:
I did my 1:72 BanDai kit combining the scheme on the instructions and used the diagrams found in this thread: http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/SMF/index.php/topic,11085.msg172847.html#msg172847

I apologize if you get the urge to buy more x-wing kits so that you can do one for each: I did :p :)

Here's mine at about 75%

20150601_222905.jpg
I saw that thread and I even printed the diagram out, but it was missing a bit. So at this point I'm just looking at the source material.

btw....your bird looks great! (and yes, I think I wanna do all of red squadron)

a bit of colour.....

not sure about the stripe decals. the colour doesn't quite match the painted panels

It's looking good! I opted to paint everything on mine; the only decals used are in the cockpit and on Luke's helmet.

astroboy said:
not sure about the stripe decals. the colour doesn't quite match the painted panels

No "quite" about it. They flat out do not match. Yuck! :p The decal portion looks a little orange compared to your painted half. I'd say you're better off painting them in this case.

I heard that about the bandai, that the red stripes are separate plastic pieces. I def would paint. But it's looking good!

I keep trying to come up with a story for the color mismatch and it's not panning out for the level of acuraccy you are trying for. This kit is looking so awesome so far please don't compromise it with the off color decals. ;D I'll throw my recommendation in with the others to paint at least the major red insignia on the wings like you did on the body. kepp it looking cool. 8)

Thank you for the kind words!

Paint it will be!

(Mind you, I don't have much time to work on it these days so it might get shelved for a bit. We'll see)

but yes, the decal colours that come with this are so, so bad....

While it is good that they didn't just simplify everything into the same grey for everything, the colour choices are way off

astroboy said:
btw....anyone know the best way to get decals off?

Looks like you figured it out. What method did you use? I have found that decal set (the stuff that melts decals into the model features) will soften them up enough that you can wipe them right off the model.

I used the scotch tape method. It worked fairly well. But I just painted any leftover stuff.

Finished the droid and did a bit more sanding.

All I have left are the blue stripe decals, the oils and the pigments

Is it too late to enter the contest????

Looks great. Still time to enter - deadline i pushed back until July 10.

Scott Girvan said:
Looks great. Still time to enter - deadline i pushed back until July 10.

Really? I could get that done.

I certainly didn't start it until after the contest started. (It wasn't even released)

Can this thread get moved? Pretty please?

Latest posts

Back