AH-64D Longbow Apache

Haggistom

Hi There, this is my first entry for the contest, hoping to do two. Never tackled anything like this before so I'm sure it will be fun.

apache-entry.jpg

Oh yes..........my favourite chopper, count me in for this one fella!! ;D

`Boots`

Yeah ...Ilike these meself ,had an RC one a while back ...crashed it !! :'(
Look forward to the build .

Chris.

Sweet - another choppah! Can't wait to see your progress. I'm definately going to be building this one in the near future.
There is a pretty sweet resin engine replacement for that kit too if you are interested.

Nice choice! I got one hiding somewhere as well. looking forward to watching! ;D

OK, this is harder than I imagined. For the past 18 months I have been building and painting Games Workshop figures & vehicles. I have learned a lot over that time but nothing could have prepared me for this build!

What have i learned in the past 9 days? -

• You need that patience of a saint and the fingers of an angel!!
  • The level of detail on models have changed since i was 12.
  • Glue will stick to everything it should not.
  • The smaller the two pieces that you join together the greater the likelihood that you will have a lot of sanding to do.
  • Assembly instructions that can be used for different versions of the same model cannot be read and understood by normal run of the mill people.
  • Even at 44 years of age, I still get excited playing with plastic and glue!

I have taken the model to the point where I want to put down some primer and paint prior to final assembly and paint. Really nervous about the canopy as it has framework that has to be painted both inside and out in different colours. I have bought some "Humbrol Maskol", so will have fun with that no doubt. Already have a plan B if that fails(Tinted Windows?).

apache-pp1.jpg

apache-pp2.jpg

apache-pp3.jpg

apache-pp4.jpg

apache-pp5.jpg

Hopefully it will not take me another 9 days before I post some more updates.

Despite your anxieties that is moving along great! You'll have a fine model once complete.

Love your 'rants'. So true. Best part was "Even at 44 years of age, I still get excited playing with plastic and glue!" True that is. Pretty cool therapy, LOL.

You seem to be moving along quite well. As for the canopy, first mask it, then lay down the interior color, let it cure, then paint up with the exterior color. When you are done, the inside will be one color and the outside another.

Yes indeedy, this is looking very nice Haggistom.................keep up the great work buddy ;D

`Boots`

Thanks for the comments. Here we have a small update.

I have started painting the cockpit, etc and reckoned I would post a couple of images. Nothing is glued in place yet.

apache-cp1.jpg

apache-cp2.jpg

Just spotted the seams on the trousers!

More soon.

Hi Haggistom,very nice progress buddy :),its coming on at a pace . I do like your figures ,very well painted .I wouldnt worry to much about that seam ,it probably wont be visible once the canopy is on .

Chris.

Hi Guys, thanks for the comments and encouragement.

This has become quite a learning experience for me. One which if i must admit, I am rather enjoying.

Here is a picture of the the pilots dashboard(If that's what you call it)

apache-cp3.jpg

It is very easy to get bogged down in detail and although i really want to make it perfect, I also want to get it done and enjoy the experience. Which I am thus far. I noticed when previewing the picture above that the frame around the glass is not perfect. When I look at it just now in my hands from 6" it looks great. Also noticed the injection circle right in the middle of the small screen :eek:

I glued the body and then started to assemble it. I had done a dry fit and was fairly happy with it. I knew i would have some filling to do so was not to bothered. Then a minor disaster hit me! My clamps were too strong and were misinforming the body. It did not matter which way I positioned them, it still squeezed the life out of it. The glue had been on too long to wipe it off without making a right old mess of the body, so i grabbed the screwdriver and dismantled the bigger clamps and removed the springs. Screwed them back together and used elastic bands to give me tension. I think it worked out OK but my heart is still beating like a drum. ;)

apache-a1.jpg

Don't think i can handle much more of this excitement!

Latest posts

Back