AH-64D Longbow Apache

Hey that's a brilliant idea on those clamps. I never thought of that, and have had that problem many times myself.

That's looking pretty good. Lot of good detail on that dashboard. Nice work!!

Nice creative solution on those clamps. I usually have the opposite problem.
Dash looks really good

One thing that always get me is that the camera can see detail that your eye cannot. If you get it camera perfect then it probably is perfect.

A nice solution to the "clamps of doom"

Thanks for the comments guys, really starting to see some progress. My next piece of fun will be the canopy.

I masked the inside of the canopy with masking tape and painted it like Grendels had said. Quite fiddly but semed to work OK when painted. Only missed a few bits where the masking tape did not quite get into the edges.

I want to use the maskol to do the outside, just to try a different technique. I will take some pictures of that. ;) Forgot to do that for the inside. Keep forgeting I have to share my progress! ( I know I don't have to, but its nice!)

Terrific work so far Haggistom, the pilots look superb and like Chris says those seams won`t be seen fella, nice tip with the bands as well, you hit the nail on the head as well mate.....................enjoyment, thats what its all about bud, keep up the great work.. ;D

`Boots`

Haggistom said:
Thanks for the comments guys, really starting to see some progress. My next piece of fun will be the canopy.

I masked the inside of the canopy with masking tape and painted it like Grendels had said. Quite fiddly but semed to work OK when painted. Only missed a few bits where the masking tape did not quite get into the edges.

I want to use the maskol to do the outside, just to try a different technique. I will take some pictures of that. ;) Forgot to do that for the inside. Keep forgeting I have to share my progress! ( I know I don't have to, but its nice!)

For having the inside framing showing, when I mask (which i rarely do) I actually paint the inside colour for the frame, then when that's dry the outside. This helps make it less tricky!

Looking good Haggistom ,cockpit looks fine to me buddy ,you gotta remember the pics will show things you wont see with your eye because the thing looks so much bigger in the pic . i think its coming on great fella :)

Chris.

Will look great once all Dolled Up !!!

so far ! I like it a lot !! The figures alone are stealing the show !!!

Keep on truckin !!!

Norm.

Ok, time for an update. Thanks for comments and tips, very much appreciated. Its good to post updates and get feedback.

I finally plucked up the courage and glued the canopy in place. I used "Formula 560" which says on the bottle"The World's Best Canopy Glue" so it must be true ;). I picked it up in hobby shop in town as an implulse buy as I knew I had a canopy to glue in the near future. It seemed to do the job well enough although I reckon most PVA glues would have done the job.

With the canopy in place I did some final sanding and filling and then applied the "Humbrol Maskol". Now it was time for paint.

Here are some pictures of the painted Apache.

apache-p1.jpg

apache-p2.jpg

Was relatively happy with the results, although I did notice a few bits that could have been filled and sanded a bit better. Will work on them later and see if I get fix it without too much work.

Now that I had some paint on I really wanted to find out if the masking job had worked.

Here are the images.

apache-p3.jpg

apache-p4.jpg

Disappointed and happy enough at the same time :) ???

The "Maskol" seemed to work really well. For my first attempt i was fairly happy. A few bits that i will have to touch up but that is not an issue. I have two problems!! The first one is the scratch's I made in the lower front windscreen by not looking closely enough at where i was cutting to remove the "Maskol " and the second is all the dust that is now inside the cockpit. When filing and sanding the front of the nose I was blowing away the dust particles, obviously straight inside the cockpit!!! I have tried blowing air from all angles to dislodge them, but no luck. I have no wish to remove the canopy to rectify this but I have learned a valuable if somewhat painful lesson. Another way to look at it - "that pilot and gunner are just really messy guys, hate to think what their cars or houses are like if thats how they keep their aircraft!"

That's it for now, would appreciate any comments regarding the scratches and the dust.

Thanks

I think it's coming along great! ;D Sorry to hear about the scratches. :eek: It' might be possible to mask off just the windscreen and shoot it wil some Future? It fixes a multitue of issues with clear parts. Try a test piece. I'm sure some others might have some great ideas. Good luck there buddy! ;)

I would not spray Future! Not on a cockpit! A Dip in Future would help but its too late
If you can't take the cockpit off?

Pain job looks nice

This is coming along great. Figures look really good - the folds in the flight suits look right on.

Love choppers!

I would say you are doing great work. ;D

You can brush future, but I don't know if I would spray it. Future can hide small scratches, but those might be too large. You could get some high grit sand paper (1000+), polish out those scratches and then brush on some future. The future will hide the sanding marks from the high grit paper.

Looks great to me.

As far as the windscreen goes just brush on some Future. That should fix it right up. ;)

WoW ! I've missed some of this Build , But Waay Cool ! That dash looks Cool , Figures are Superb !! Cool Helo !!!

Latest posts

Back