Academy SB2C-4 HELLDIVER

Chris S

Its a bit like being handcuffed to a lunatic !
Reaction score
Austin ,sorry buddy I watched the vid earlier and forgot to comment ....D'uh ::)....old age !!

Anyhoo ,Its looking great buddy and as Myke said ,you got excellent skills for your age ,and ya still got plenty of time ahead of you ;)

Chris.

JMac

cut. glue. paint. repeat.
Reaction score
Your Helldiver build totally rocks. Good job.

austin132010

Reaction score
Thanks for all the awesome comments, guys! :eek:

The Helldiver is coming along very smoothly, all the parts a just falling right into place.

And here is the third (part 2) video:

Academy SB2C-4 Helldiver Part 2

Thanks,
Austin 8)

Quaralane

Reaction score
Looks like a challenging bit of conversion work, but you licked it nicely.
One sharp looking little plane

austin132010

Reaction score
Quaralane said:
Looks like a challenging bit of conversion work, but you licked it nicely.
One sharp looking little plane
Thanks!! ;D

schweinhund227

Reaction score
Austin ! Look at you go my Man ! Awesome work !

you play the Big boyz Game... your Skills are growing each time we see one of your videos...

We better hold on to our Hats.... cuz Austin is charging on! LOL !

That's quite the bird you have there.... it must have been Huge in real life... the guys in it look so
Puny !

Good idea on the canopies Temp glue ! Have you thought about masking the canopies framing yet !

There is a ton of work awaiting you !!! But Tamiya Tape can be a great friend !!! Always use a Fresh
Blade in your Xacto for frame work !!! If you are going to cut it all by yourself! Many methods exist for doing that kind of Window masking and I won’t insult your intelligence on HOW to go about it !!!

But if you feel like NOT cutting all those windows... you can get yourself a nice set of Edward Pre-Cut Masks specially designed for your Plane! Edward makes them and they are only like 6$ or 7$

It's up to you ! either way... it will look great !

Take care !

Norm

OUT !

austin132010

Reaction score
schweinhund227 said:
Austin ! Look at you go my Man ! Awesome work !

you play the Big boyz Game... your Skills are growing each time we see one of your videos...

We better hold on to our Hats.... cuz Austin is charging on! LOL !

That's quite the bird you have there.... it must have been Huge in real life... the guys in it look so
Puny !

Good idea on the canopies Temp glue ! Have you thought about masking the canopies framing yet !

There is a ton of work awaiting you !!! But Tamiya Tape can be a great friend !!! Always use a Fresh
Blade in your Xacto for frame work !!! If you are going to cut it all by yourself! Many methods exist for doing that kind of Window masking and I won’t insult your intelligence on HOW to go about it !!!

But if you feel like NOT cutting all those windows... you can get yourself a nice set of Edward Pre-Cut Masks specially designed for your Plane! Edward makes them and they are only like 6$ or 7$

It's up to you ! either way... it will look great !

Take care !

Norm

OUT !
Thanks, Norm! :D

I did cut out the frames using the liquid masking film (and a new x-acto blade). I guess I did make it very clear in the video, after looking back. ;D

schweinhund227

Reaction score
My Bad ! LOL sorry dude ! i couldn't put the sound loud... at work ! LOL missed that part !

Looking forward to your next update then !

later buddy !

austin132010

Reaction score
schweinhund227 said:
My Bad ! LOL sorry dude ! i couldn't put the sound loud... at work ! LOL missed that part !

Looking forward to your next update then !

later buddy !
lol, it's all good. ;)

fumblethumbs

Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again...You've got some mad skills Austin! The manual dexterity, patience and attention to detail you possess are way beyond your years. The Helldiver is really looking top notch. Keep up the excellent work my friend!!

austin132010

Reaction score
fumblethumbs said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again...You've got some mad skills Austin! The manual dexterity, patience and attention to detail you possess are way beyond your years. The Helldiver is really looking top notch. Keep up the excellent work my friend!!
Thanks, man. It means a lot. :)

the Baron

Ich bin ja, Herr, in Deiner Macht
Reaction score
Wow, Austin! Your work is outstanding!

Can you tell us more about the paints you're using, and the solvent and mix ration you use for airbrushing? I'm a novice when it comes to airbrushing, and I'm curious to learn from as many people as I can.

austin132010

Reaction score
the Baron said:
Wow, Austin! Your work is outstanding!

Can you tell us more about the paints you're using, and the solvent and mix ration you use for airbrushing? I'm a novice when it comes to airbrushing, and I'm curious to learn from as many people as I can.
Sure, not a problem.

austin132010

Reaction score
Alright. Here is short little update. The helldiver is actually starting to look like a helldiver.

The Tamiya Acrylic paint I used was X-3 Royal Blue, which I thinned with windex at about a 1:1 ratio.

Academy SB2C-4 Helldiver Part 3

Thanks,
Austin

Quaralane

Reaction score
Looking really good, Austin.

Question about the wash on the flaps, though. Why use red?

austin132010

Reaction score
Quaralane said:
Looking really good, Austin.

Question about the wash on the flaps, though. Why use red?
To make it look like the inside is painted red. Like in these pictures: