2014 BSC Categories

f2k said:
I love the look of the 262, but that's an actual production model, right?

Yep it is, trying to work out what I can do to make it look something like it was in the development stage...

rookie said:
f2k said:
I love the look of the 262, but that's an actual production model, right?

Yep it is, trying to work out what I can do to make it look something like it was in the development stage...

Exactly! It's not about whether or not the subject was in fact a prototype, it's about how you present the model, paintwork, weathering, decals, etc. anything really could be a prototype.

adampolo13's hit the nail right on the head here.
Don't get tied up in the "actual." If you want it to be a prototype 262, make it one

Not sure if I agree with that. A layer of paint does not a prototype make.

Well... Okay... Sometimes it does...

For me, it depends on how different the prototype is from the main production model. Sometimes they're nearly identical and sometimes there's quite a difference.

For example, simply taking an early short-barreled Panzer IV, painting it with primer, and calling it a prototype does not do it for me. There has to be a more substantial difference - a reason why this particular model is a prototype and not just a production model with a sloppy paint-job.

Of course, that's just my opinion. It's not even my competition, so who cares?

I agree with f2k on the idea of what a prototype would be and how it would differ from the accual production model.
As far as weathering for mine there will be little to no weathering as it is not a production vehicle so it would not really get weathered so to speak.

arohk said:
I agree with f2k on the idea of what a prototype would be and how it would differ from the accual production model.
As far as weathering for mine there will be little to no weathering as it is not a production vehicle so it would not really get weathered so to speak.

Not saying simply throwing primer on a kit and calling it a prototype will win you the category. It's going to be the overall display of your finished piece. Does it tell the story of a prototype etc?

Also, along those lines, simply building a model kit of a prototype wont work either. It's the overall presentations.

By the way, less than 6 days to go!!!

Hello guys.
I think a prototype is but for example a vehicle that still works brand conclusions on the cover has.
Or, for example, the Tiger 1 which had been shown at the leader.
Or for example the ship from X. would indeed be a prototype.

I have a category question that has probably been asked before but...

Can you change an entry from one category to another during the contest? For example, if you finished a plane entered in Aircraft early and wanted to make a base for it could you switch it from the Aircraft to Dioramas and Vignettes category?

You can just as easily pay a second fee and place both versions into the contest.
$5 to put the aircraft without base into aircraft
then a second $5 to put it on the base and put it into Dioramas/vignettes

Dave, you can do what Quaralane suggested or you can change category mid-contest.

Rookie, that F14 pumpkin is awesome, my vote is for that. Seen that at the hobby shop and was very tempted to buy it.

adampolo13 said:
arohk said:

Not saying simply throwing primer on a kit and calling it a prototype will win you the category. It's going to be the overall display of your finished piece. Does it tell the story of a prototype etc?

Also, along those lines, simply building a model kit of a prototype wont work either. It's the overall presentations.

By the way, less than 6 days to go!!!

I can follow what you're saying, but my question is simply: how can you "tell the story" of a prototype if the model itself is not a prototype?

In any case, come to think of it, if last years ruling of no basing and no crew is still in place, then you can't really tell much of a story regardless.

Scott Girvan said:
f2k, did you plan on entering this year?

If there's cake, I will... ;D

I was hoping to enter a 1/72 scale La-174 - that should certainly qualify as a prototype.

3094_rd.jpg

But let's see what's happening. I just moved to a new apartment so all my paints are packed away somewhere and I have no spraybooth for my airbrush.

Last year I failed to complete anything so this year I have decided to take it very easy and start with something very simple straight out of the box.

But speaking of prototypes, I must admit that I'm not entirely sure how to present it. Build it and paint it, sure. But how to make it scream "prototype"...

f2k said:
But speaking of prototypes, I must admit that I'm not entirely sure how to present it. Build it and paint it, sure. But how to make it scream "prototype"...

Add therein lies the...competition.

Cave_Dweller said:
Rookie, that F14 pumpkin is awesome, my vote is for that. Seen that at the hobby shop and was very tempted to buy it.

Awesome indeed 8). I've been going over the instructions and building this thing in my head for nearly 18 months now. Likewise with the 262 which actually interests me more as I'm not a super huge fan of modern jets, mainly because of their ( usually ) boring paint schemes... :)

Scott Girvan said:
f2k said:

And the challenge, I'm sure... ;)

I'm thinking "diorama" here. The ability to mount the model on a base and add some crew will certainly help.

Well, guess I'll just have to come up with something. As I said, my goal this year is to take it nice and easy and simply complete a model. Keeping it simple is the name of the game.

f2k said:
Scott Girvan said:
f2k said:

And the challenge, I'm sure... ;)

I'm thinking "diorama" here. The ability to mount the model on a base and add some crew will certainly help.

Well, guess I'll just have to come up with something. As I said, my goal this year is to take it nice and easy and simply complete a model. Keeping it simple is the name of the game.

I know what you mean, a beautiful relaxing OOB construction. Would also once again with me.
I'm already considering what I will build.#
Either the Battelstar Pegasus from BSGNS
The Spaceforteres from Robotech
The Hawk fighter from space 1999
Or the shadow Omega destroyer from Babylon 5.

Latest posts

Back