1950 Chevy Shop Truck (Beater) (WIP)

CTspeedshop

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue. : )
Thought I would show some pics of a new project since I haven't posted anything in a while.

I want to build a shop truck that has cool character but something you wouldn't be scared to actually use as a a truck.

I like the stance of this truck but waaaay to nice:

1950-chevy1.jpg

I want something more like one of these two:

1950-ford-truck-pinstripes3.jpg

50Chevy001.jpg

I have all the early bodywork done. (sanding, filling and primed) I masked off the hood and one of the rear fenders so those would remain in primer.

064-1.jpg

I sprayed a dark brown for the base of my salting and chipping. I will add other tones of brown and rust as well. I also added some rust holes with a lighter and tweezers. I'm not going for extreme rust so just a bit here and there.

068.jpg

Thanks for checking it out. I know this is the boring stage but more airbrush and weathering updates ahead.

I love the look of the older cars where the paint has been worn away then a clear coat put over it to save the patina. This thing is going to be sweet!!!

Cool project. Lots of promise here. Nice use of silly putty for masking. Looks like it worked very well.

adampolo13 said:
I love the look of the older cars where the paint has been worn away then a clear coat put over it to save the patina. This thing is going to be sweet!!!
Thanks Adam. I like that look a lot myself. Tons of character.

Scott Girvan said:
Cool project. Lots of promise here. Nice use of silly putty for masking. Looks like it worked very well.
Thanks Scott. Yea, I love using silly putty for masking. I'll obviously clean up anything it missed as the build progresses but it worked nicely.

Layed down some sky blue enamel with the old skool Paasche single action.

50truck003.jpg

Here she is all painted and salted up.

50truck007.jpg

Broke out my new Badger Krome and had a little fun.

50truck010.jpg

Every beater needs some bondo on the hood. : )

50truck017.jpg

50truck012.jpg

50truck020.jpg

I'm still playing with the weathering but thought I would post an update.

Thanks for stopping by!!!

Looks like a fun project! Got to try one of these myself soon. But how did you get from the sky blue the next pic?? I don't even see any blue? Got any pics of the steps between? I love the look, just not sure how you got there. :D

Thanks
Daf

Thanks for the comment Daf. I don't have any pics of the process but I'll try to explain the process. After removing the salt to create the chipping I applied a filter to tone down the blue. Then I just airbrushed more rust spots with weathering acrylics. When I get a chance I can add pictures of the products if you like. FYI: I have already made more changes. The hood and rear fender are no longer primer grey. Update coming soon. ;D

Oh - I see ( I think ;) ) - the filter took the blue to the off-white we see now. Okay, cool. I don't think I would have thought to go that route to get there, but I can tell it ends up being a unique color/tone. I learned something! I would be interested in the nature of the filter used.

Great job - thanks for the explanation and keep the updates coming! ;D

A loooooong way to go guys but thought I would add some pics. I didn't really like the look of the grey primer on the hood and rear fender so I made a change. I like the look of the rat rods with sanded rust so that's what I did. I'm gonna use these cragar mags and wide whites. I just placed them under it to give you guys an idea of the look I'm going for. I have to clean up some body lines and do some more weathering but here are the pics:

010-1.jpg

003-2.jpg

009-1.jpg

006-3.jpg

I always liked the combo of rusty body and nice clean wheels. They really set each other off. Your doing a great job CT.

Latest posts

Back