1/32 F-4U Corsair

Maverick

Well I am about to embark upon my very first 1/32 build. This kit is much bigger than what I'm used to...I love it! The only problem is that the kit has to be at least 30 years old! This belonged to my father. It's a Revell so as you can imagine...a lot of prep work needs to be done. Here are some initial shots I took to show how old this thing is. As you can see, the box and instructions are yellowed and faded:

kmgj.jpg

0nch.jpg

Check out the mold defects here. What a mess!

ffsv.jpg

o9q7.jpg

Regardless, I can't wait to get started. I will need a new decal set as well. The decals that came with this kilt are so old and trashed. I cut one out just to see how it would behave and the darn thing just disintigrated. Any cheap ideas are places to find after market decals for a 1/32 f-4u?

More to come...

Hi Maverick.
If you are interested, you could scan the decal sheet into your computer. Clean them up with software and reprint the sheet on new decal paper.

Jim

Papermodder said:
Hi Maverick.
If you are interested, you could scan the decal sheet into your computer. Clean them up with software and reprint the sheet on new decal paper.

Jim

Interesting idea papermodder, I didnt even know you could do that. Im sure I dont have the necessary software to do that...but thanks.

I'd keep a stash of #11's on hand for all that flash. I want to see this come together, should be fun.

It's fine tuning my prep skills there's no doubt there. After reading the instructions further I found that this kit was made in 1970. 44 years old! Needless to say I won't be wasting any money on AM parts. ::)

Have fun with it, that's what will matter most.
Looks like you can still make a decent finish of it

Better you than me my friend ;D
Fantastic to see a vintage kit like this come to life.

Update:

I have made some headway here. Got the cockpit done. Nothing fancy, no PE or AM parts. Jut good 'ol fashioned paint and some minor washing. Looks good though in my opinion. Sorry for the grainy pics. Taken with my phone.

7drk.jpg

xhyl.jpg

As you can see in the pics I got the main fuselage together, primed, and shaded. I'm having trouble with my airbrush maybe. Look at the black panel lines I did....there is a lot of (overspray) there. Any ideas why? Pressure too high? I run it at about 20psi. Paint to thin/thick? I don't get it. Anyway, I have also come to the conclusion that Testor's Enamel Primer is bunk! It dried for over 48 hours and it is still tacky. Froget sanding it...it almost just rubs off! I did what I could but I need a better primer alternative. Acrylic primer any better? I can't imagine it's not.
3ra7.jpg

3ra7.jpg

9gdq.jpg

Here we see my progress with the wings. Got the inside put together and primed as well. Had some trouble getting the wings to fold and lay nicely. Lots of sanding and adjusting. Figured as much with this old gal.

ak0e.jpg

Having a blast though. If I can make this look good...can't wait to see what I can do with a newer Tamiya or Hasewaga!

Thanks for looking!

Maverick said:
Having a blast though.

This is what its all about dude! Glad to see you're going out of the box on this one, practicing skills and learning. Also, in terms of your paint question. Did you prime the plastic before you laid down the pre-shade? That could be one issue if you didn't.

adampolo13 said:
Maverick said:
Having a blast though.

This is what its all about dude! Glad to see you're going out of the box on this one, practicing skills and learning. Also, in terms of your paint question. Did you prime the plastic before you laid down the pre-shade? That could be one issue if you didn't.

Oh yea. Always. Its either a paint or an airbrush issue.

Get yourself some Tamiya synthetic lacquer primer or, for a cheaper alternative, buy a big can of Duplicolor Filler Primer. It's a synthetic lacquer as well. You'll find it in the automotive paint section. Either one will give you a nice smooth quick-drying finish.

Good update Maverick. Nice progress.

I like to use Vallejos line of primers. The Tamiya rattle can primes are very good also, (I just find them to be expensive where I live). Another option is thinned down Mr. Surfacer, applied with an airbrush.

Cool! Thanks for the info. It's coming along nice considering. The raised panel lines might prove to be tricky when I get to the wash stage. Gotta find that decal set first...

Updated pics will soon be up.

Got some work done on this bad boy. The main body is pretty much done. Glued, primed, sanded and shaded. I got the thing to fit together pretty good after some tinkering and sanding.
ofhy.jpg

7xxf.jpg

Here is a closer shot of the wing joint. Not too bad. Might add some cables and weather a bit more. Its hard to tell in this pic but it is green on the inside of the wings.

09wh.jpg

I got the base coat down on the underside of the plane. I like how the pre-shading turned out. Shows through nicely.

17fa.jpg

4c97.jpg

amyu.jpg

Thanks for checking out the progress!

This is a great example of great an old school kit can turn out great with a little bit of lovin' and elbow grease!

Latest posts

Back