TNG Romulan Warbird

Thanks, everyone!

Ok, so I decided I wasn't done after all. I liked the subtle spray job, but over all the ship still looked pretty flat and bland. I thought that doing more to it may be too much, but I think my motto for this build has become "Boldly Go!" So I decided to go for it!

After searching for awhile for some new reference photos I ran across one from Deep Space Nine of a Warbird with the panel lines really dark. I thought that might be a good way to add some texture and detail to the wing section, and I had that darker green paint I had purchased earlier... perfect! That would still leave the forward hull being rather bland. I liked the photos with it all lit up, so I grabbed my finest spotter brush and went at it.

Photo06160009.jpg

Photo06160006.jpg

Wow, I really love how it has turned out! The only detail left is the insignia on the nose, which honestly I've never liked... I've always thought it looked dumb. I'm thinking of just leaving it off. Other than that, just need to dull cote it up!

Have also worked on the stand a bit... downloaded the Romulan insignia, resized it, and printed it the best quality I could on photo paper. Took a knife to it and cut it out. I found that photo paper is really delicate when a knife is taken to it. The slightest touch will scratch the color off. Touched up the silver edges with a silver sharpee. The black edges still need a black sharpee taken to them... can't seem to find one around the house for some reason. I then cut a plasticard backing for the insignia to mount it to the base.

Photo06132330.jpg

Photo06132346.jpg

Glued the mount to the base, sprayed it silver, and right now it is in the garage drying with a touch of wood stain added to it. I think it will add an interesting aging effect. After that's dry will glue the insignia on and it's good to go.

Now to find a really good camera to take my final photos!

Great Job on the Windows... looks the part ! I like the Emblem....

Overall a great addition to your collection !!! it looks pretty big ???

later !

Norm.

Stunning.

You might notice that I'm a bit of a Romulan fan. They're in my opinion, the greatest adversary to the Federation (even after JJ Abrams blew up the homeworld).

Got one of these sitting under my bed waiting to be put together. I'm not touching it until I feel like I've got the experience and knowledge (I've been model building for about 9 weeks now) and threads like this really help alot.

Fantastic work with the windows and the emblem is very cool. The base colour of the D'deridex class is actually not consistent throughout the series. Early warbirds had a very light green colouration, that appeared to progressively darken. When we got to a later episode of DS9, 'The Changing Face of Evil' we saw that the panel lines had darkened too.

So what you've done is actually pretty accurate. Check this screenshot everyone :- http://ds9.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/7x20/faceofevil_519.jpg

Look forward to seeing a few more pics of this beauty. Cheers!

Thank you, everyone!

And thanks, Igard, for the info... vindicates some of the decisions I made... atleast in my mind :)

Excellent work!
Painting the small windows all over the living area really gives a lot to the final look of the model.

Beautiful work on that.
The color looks fairly close to what was seen sometimes on screen

like the way this came out, good job. curious what paint color did you use on it?

Thanks, everyone! Here are the paint details:

Primed with Rustoleum white primer. Basecoat was Testors 1224 Gloss Green spray enamel. Airbrushed with Model Master Acryl 4736 Interior Green using card mask for panel edges. For panel lines used Model Master Acryl 4790 Olivgrun. Lighted windows painted with cheap white acrylic paint. Finished with Testors Dullcote.

Latest posts

Back