Revell - D7 Battlecruiser - Romulan Stormbird

Hey thanks Mike, Grendels, Bobo, and Q! 8)

Been a really bad week for model building. Just too busy with work and stuff. Oh yeah, and I might be watching too much football!

Had some rather serious issues as well with the build. I think I mentioned last time that I had made a mess of the base. Well it took a while to get round to fixing it, and I had even more problems with glueing it down. Got it eventually but still not perfect.

Also, on Friday, I decided I had finished the pseudo panelling and it was time to gloss coat the model. Had a brain fart and sprayed the Testors Gloss coat way, way, waaaay too close. I was lucky there was only about 3 different places that needed fixed.

So, I lightly sanded the offending areas and re-painted, but still, I could have been almost finished by now. :-\

Ok I've bored you enough (well done if you read all that).

The pseudo panelling on the dorsal hull. I went over this with some of the base coat just to bring it all in a bit. I also added a few more panels just to be sure. This was early in the week I think.

2012-06-17_22-37-25_500.jpg

The emblem used on the base here is very basic given I don't have much time. This was my 2nd attempt at getting this emblem on, the 1st was a bucket job!

2012-06-25_00-15-51_584.jpg

It has an on/off push switch which I hit with some Alcladd II chrome. You can also see here the bits of glue under the emblem.

2012-06-25_00-16-21_334.jpg

A look under the base. 4AA batteries, some rubber feet and large switch.

2012-06-25_00-21-51_251.jpg

Using more of Thomas's graphics, I modified this one to go around the torpedo bay. It was supposed to wrap around the entire command 'bulb', but that would mean going over windows and I didn't want to mess with that!

I'm calling this, "The Moustache"

2012-06-24_23-20-12_941.jpg

Now it's time for the bird decal!!! I was so nervous, I grabbed the camera and took a snap while the decal was soaking (is there a term for this?)

2012-06-24_23-42-12_700.jpg

So right when I placed the decal on the model, it occurred to me that I don't have enough decal paper left to attempt this again if things go belly up!

2012-06-24_23-57-07_190.jpg

The wing tip curled in on itself and there's a bit of damage...

... I'll have to fix it up a bit with some paint. :-[

2012-06-24_23-58-14_136.jpg

Overall though, I think it's gone down really well. Maybe half a millimetre off centre. :-\

2012-06-25_00-08-13_772.jpg

Thanks for reading folks. I'm still pretty positive I can get this finished on time.

Take it easy everyone. :)

Igard,
I am super glad to see some more pix of this beast!
I am sorry to hear about your travails with the gloss coat, and the decals and stuff... :(
I understand about work. My job has been beating the stuffing outta me, especially this last week, and then yesterday I had stuff to do, so today I have been frantically painting on my build.
:)Is there a way for you to take any video of the Stormbird with it all lit and stuff?
Or maybe just some more pix?
It's looking great! I may want to build a Romulan version myself. :)
You are inspirational.

Thanks Mike! 8)

I'll try making a video, but the last attempt didn't turn out too well and I couldn't convert it properly. Talking nonsense during the video didn't help either!

That must be why we get along so well! ;D

Here's a bonus update.

Before :-

2012-06-24_23-58-14_136.jpg

After :-

Not perfect, but I'm happy. I used a micron pen for the black border.

2012-06-25_03-13-41_515.jpg

Absolutely astonishing work here, Igard, buddy!
Great finding with the on/off button - it some much fits the rest of the base in the sence of design, and the whole base looks so TOS-style. Very well done!
The bird itself is also outstanding! Great work with the hull - the paintjob is mindblowing.
My only 5 cents are: please, don't do anything with the side of the big decal. I think the damage on it looks pretty realistic, and that little touch of unideality would only sign the "TOSivness" of the ship ;)

Oh, wow, Igard, mate, sorry, I don't know how it happened that I haven't noticed your update while posting - that's the reason of some mismatching whith what You've showed us and what I've been just typing about.
Throw into the trash what I've written - the cure for the decal mis just fantastic, at least I would have never noticed if I didn't know where exactly to look ;)

Thanks folks! Really happy with how this is going now.

Sol, he he... I thought for a second I'd missed some damage! Thanks dude! ;D

Just awesome buddy :eek:, that base rocks, a very original idea.

I wish i'd only talked nonsense in my video ;D

I will forgive you for forgetting your F1 top 10 for Va-bloody-lencia after seeing this.

Just awesome

McGagver

LOL! Thanks Gags. How many points ahead are you now? I reckon I can still catch you though! ;D

Thanks Roman! I was going to add more decals to the base, but stopped myself. It looks about right for TOS.

Ello mate,

Sorry i didn't get back to you yesterday, i had to get the master scoreboard from work.

Toe Iain
Malaysia 19 12
China 16 18
Bahrain 17 14
Spain 12 -
Monaco 10 17
Canada 17 17
Valencia 15 -
106 78

28 pts is the difference. Thats quite alot to make up but there are 12 rounds to go so just like the championship, you never know anything can happen ;D. Looking forward to Silverstone, also i think the goodwood Festival of Speed is this weekend, i know its a bit of a trip for you but if you do get the opportunity to go, it is a must for all motorsport fans, especially an F1 like yourself. One of the coolest events i've ever been too. 8)

OK, back to your bird now. 4 days and counting. ;)

Cheers'n'beers

Gaggles McGee

Thanks chief!

Toe, that's quite a deficit to make up, but hey it's all fun! Yeah never been to Goodwood, but I've been to the British GP at Silverstone and a few events here in Scotland. Haven't done anything like that recently.

The Stormbird is almost done guys. I've had a problem with the torpedo bay. When I removed the masking, it was as if the Alclad had blistered (only way I can describe). I've re-painted it, but it doesn't look as smooth as before.

Best pic I could get :-

2012-06-27_01-08-50_111.jpg

Latest posts

Back