Julien's Entry : 1/1400 Romulan Bird-of-Prey - Withdrawn

Julien

Call me Ju
Hi guys,

I've just paid the fee for two entries, here's the first one, the Alliance Model Romulan BOP (from Star Trek TOS of course) at 1/1400 scale.

The casting is almost flawless, so I'm fairly confident I can build this in the time left. It's more than probable that my second entry will be in the all open category... ;)

Anyway, here the required pics of the start of the build :

romulanbop1.JPG

romulanbop2.JPG

The casting quality is really impressive ! I've just have a bit of filling to do on the nacelles, and 1 warped pylon to correct.

I haven't check the fit yet but it will surely require some filling !

I'll show off the kit tomorow, because right now it's gonna spend the night in some cleaning solution...

romulanbop3.JPG

Re: Julien's Entry : 1/1400 Romulan Bird-of-Prey

Nice one, I will be watching this!

I'll post some more detailed pics later, but in the meantime here's a video review :

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0ktJ5yfn7c[/youtube]

Looks like a decent kit for the size

Quaralane said:
Looks like a decent kit for the size

Yep, small kit but great kit !

Here's some more pics out of the box for those who don't like video, I've included a bottle of Tamiya for size reference :

romulanbop4.JPG

romulanbop5.JPG

romulanbop6.JPG

romulanbop7.JPG

romulanbop8.JPG

romulanbop9.JPG

romulanbop10.JPG

romulanbop15.JPG

romulanbop11.JPG

romulanbop12.JPG

romulanbop13.JPG

romulanbop14.JPG

Well, even though the casting is almost flawless, there's still some putty work to do :

romulanbop16.JPG

romulanbop17.JPG

Unfortunately, the plasma weapon wasn't cast properly. Wasn't warped, but one side has more material than the other, I'm trying to correct it by sanding it, but I have to be carefull with the detail inside.

romulanbop18.JPG

romulanbop19.JPG

Don't have any pics, but the model is currently assembled and the putty work is done. If the primer doesn't reveal anything too bad, I will be able to finish it in time.

But if the model has one or two surprises left, it's gonna be a bit complicated with only 5 days left...

Well, right after the last update, I went to sand the last putty work so I could prime it...

And for an unknown reason, my hand didn't work properly... And the bop went crashing on the floor.

Can't fault the epoxy glue, it survived the crash. Which means that it's the resin that had to break :

romulanbop20.JPG

It's fixable... but not in time for the contest... Maybe I can find a quick and small build instead...

It was coming out very nice. It looks to be a clean break and therefore a quick fix. You should finish it. 8)

Sorry to see this happen.
Been there, though.

I echo the hopes that you'll still finish this, even if it's not for the contest

Yep, I will finish it, Thankfully the wing only broke in two, so it shouldn't be too difficult to fix it.

For the contest, I think I'm just gonna enter something in the "all open" category...

Latest posts

Back