thinning acryl

Just Mike

hey there. I'm going to try testor's acryl through the airbrush. My guess is alcohol with a drop of dish soap?

Thoughts?

Not having any experience with these paints, I googled it.

There are tons of results, everything from "it is pre thinned" to "just add water" to using brand name thinners.

click me

I have used the Testor's acrylics a lot with my air brush. Not one time did I thin them. I just made sure that they were mixed up well, put them in the air brush and painted away. I had my pressure set near 25 psi, but I have had them work fine at a lower psi.

The results were not bad, but since I started using Tamiya, I won't go back to Testors. The Tamiya is just better in my opinion.

From the Testor's website.

Acrylics.
The basic thinner for acrylics is water.
There are many other thinners that are offered. These can all be used when the paint is wet, (see list below). When cleaning wet paint from an airbrush, use one of the acrylic formulas listed below. If Acrylic paint dries on or in your airbrush use one of the cleaners to remove the dried paint.

Acryl Thinners.
Modal Master Acryl 50496 4oz Detail & fine line thinner
Pactra RC5800 1 oz
Pactra RC aircraft 5900 1 oz
Polly scale 546008 Air Brush Thinner 8 oz
Polly scale 556008 Air Brush Thinner 8 oz
Testor 1398 Thinner 1 oz
Testor 1399 Cleaner 1 oz

Acryl wet Acryl Cleaners.
Model Master 50497 Acryl Cleaner 4 oz
Aztek 65160-4 Air Brush Cleaner 4 oz
Aztek 65162-32 Air brush cleaner 32 oz

Dried Paint Solvents.
Model Master 50495 Dried Paint Solvent 1-3/4 oz
Polly scale 542142 ELO paint Remover 2 oz

One thing, whenever I had a problem with Testors acrylics gumming up my airbrush a soak overnight in good old alcohol cleaned it right up. I don't know if the paint can be thinned with it, but I know it will strip it.

Latest posts

Back