Pre-Thinning Revell Enamel Paints for Airbrushing

ProfLemoi

Hello All,

I am new to this forum and have a question about airbrushing paint. I have purchased several Revell enamel paints to use with my airbrush along with some Master airbrush bottles to store the paint. Since I am not a fan of the 14ml cans the Revell paints come in I would like to pour these into the new bottles I bought and thin them so they would be ready to connect to my master airbrush whenever I needed to use them. So my Question is: Is there a problem in doing this?

Any input would be much appreciated!

ProfL

No problems .
Make sure you mix the original really well before transferring it .
What was your concern ?
I just wanted to make sure it would not cause any problem with the paint. I paid a fortune for such small bottles. :)
What do you recommend for the thining ratio 50/50?

I rarely airbrush enamels .
You'll just have to find yourself a good mix .
I'd start at a lower thinner to paint ratio than 50/50 .

Hello All,

I am new to this forum and have a question about airbrushing paint. I have purchased several Revell enamel paints to use with my airbrush along with some Master airbrush bottles to store the paint. Since I am not a fan of the 14ml cans the Revell paints come in I would like to pour these into the new bottles I bought and thin them so they would be ready to connect to my master airbrush whenever I needed to use them. So my Question is: Is there a problem in doing this?

Any input would be much appreciated!

ProfL
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Pantherman

Prof just asking the question why did you choose enamels & why not acrylics ?

Acrylics are so easy, comparatively, to use. I am able to buy an acrylic Tamiya for about £1:70.

Worth buying a bottle of acrylic & trying it. Just to say there are a number of acrylics types on the stage. Like all things I have mastered (ha ha) Tamiya as it likes me & I like it. However only after trying a few.

Interesting as I have found some manufacturers are good for spraying. Some hand painting. Some weathering. Etc.

Tried enamel but found it, FOR ME, a disaster area. As always horses for courses, grass for bowlers(cricket).

Laurie

Hi Laurie,

I have a Star Trek Voyager Model I am going to do with lights etc... so I went online to find the color scheme I wanted to use; the look I liked used the Enamels I purchased. In the future I will likely look more towards the Acrylics.

Prof just asking the question why did you choose enamels & why not acrylics ?

Acrylics are so easy, comparatively, to use. I am able to buy an acrylic Tamiya for about £1:70.

Worth buying a bottle of acrylic & trying it. Just to say there are a number of acrylics types on the stage. Like all things I have mastered (ha ha) Tamiya as it likes me & I like it. However only after trying a few.

Interesting as I have found some manufacturers are good for spraying. Some hand painting. Some weathering. Etc.

Tried enamel but found it, FOR ME, a disaster area. As always horses for courses, grass for bowlers(cricket).

Laurie
Some acrylics are fragile especially in absence of primer. Vallejo Ido not like at all. They seem on the rubbery side when dried.
Enamels are not at all difficult to airbrush. 99% of the time I use lacquer thinner for most of my paints - yes, especially with certain acrylics. Lacquer thinner is great for thinning enamel paints. You just got to find the right ratio for airbrushing.

Some acrylics are fragile especially in absence of primer. Vallejo Ido not like at all. They seem on the rubbery side when dried.
Enamels are not at all difficult to airbrush. 99% of the time I use lacquer thinner for most of my paints - yes, especially with certain acrylics. Lacquer thinner is great for thinning enamel paints. You just got to find the right ratio for airbrushing.
Agree Vallejo is a plastic skin which does not adhere well to plastic. When airbrushed.

But superb for figure painting.

I only ever use the manufacturers thinner. They know better than I.

Latest posts

Back