Thinning Tamiya paint for brush painting.

I just love Tamiya but only for airbrushing. Dries quickly & gives a superb finish.

Also their X range which is glossy is very good.
You think so? My problem with Tamiya's clear acrylics is that they never fully harden. You can put masking tape down on their XF paints with no problems usually (although I belive it's their "Sky Blue" that always leaves masking tape patterns). Their gloss paints are disappointing. Hold a part for too long and your fingerprint will cook into the surface. Masking will just plain ruin the glossy surface. Car models typically demand a high-gloss finish. A few years ago I built an AMT Oldsmobile and made the choice to use Tamiya acrylics for the paint job. That caused a lot of headaches and I had to keep re-polishing the body. I'll never use Tamiya gloss acrylics for something like that ever again. OTOH, Mr. Hobby Aqueous, which was re-formulated a few years ago, dries very sturdily and is not affected by masking tape, fingerprints, etc.

You think so? My problem with Tamiya's clear acrylics is that they never fully harden. You can put masking tape down on their XF paints with no problems usually (although I belive it's their "Sky Blue" that always leaves masking tape patterns). Their gloss paints are disappointing. Hold a part for too long and your fingerprint will cook into the surface. Masking will just plain ruin the glossy surface. Car models typically demand a high-gloss finish. A few years ago I built an AMT Oldsmobile and made the choice to use Tamiya acrylics for the paint job. That caused a lot of headaches and I had to keep re-polishing the body. I'll never use Tamiya gloss acrylics for something like that ever again. OTOH, Mr. Hobby Aqueous, which was re-formulated a few years ago, dries very sturdily and is not affected by masking tape, fingerprints, etc.
Wow where do you get your Tamiya XF from ?
I live in Jersey British Isles. Our average RH is 88 which is one of the highest in the world.
Summer 20 to 24 degrees. Winter around 14/15.

The majority of those I know in the model world only use Tamiya.

Did you thin approx 20% when using Tamiya. What primer ?

Tried many many similar formulae paints & found Tamiya to be the hardest. Spray morning. Wet & dry, if necessary evening including masking.

Never had a mask strip.

Not had the problems you have had with their X range

But there you go "horses for courses".

Laurie

I live in Japan, so I have easy access to these paints. (Only specialty shops stock foreign paints like Vallejo and Citadel.) In fact, from here at work I can walk 4 minutes to reach a hobby shop that sells Tamiya paints. I don't use ratios when mixing as I simply eyeball the paints. I usually thin Tamiya acrylics with Tamiya lacquer thinner. The masking tape doesn't strip the Tamiya gloss paint, but it ruins the finish. I mostly use Mr. Color lacquers since they dry fast and hard. I have both Tamiya acrylic and Mr. Hobby acrylic paints and I find that Mr. Hobby works nicer. In my experience, Tamiya XF paints are alright, but if you've never used Mr. Hobby Aqueous then you're really missing out. You can't scratch it off with a fingernail like you can with Tamiya. You can even put gum tape on it and lift it off and it won't disturb a gloss Aqueous finish.

I live in Japan, so I have easy access to these paints. (Only specialty shops stock foreign paints like Vallejo and Citadel.) In fact, from here at work I can walk 4 minutes to reach a hobby shop that sells Tamiya paints. I don't use ratios when mixing as I simply eyeball the paints. I usually thin Tamiya acrylics with Tamiya lacquer thinner. The masking tape doesn't strip the Tamiya gloss paint, but it ruins the finish. I mostly use Mr. Color lacquers since they dry fast and hard. I have both Tamiya acrylic and Mr. Hobby acrylic paints and I find that Mr. Hobby works nicer. In my experience, Tamiya XF paints are alright, but if you've never used Mr. Hobby Aqueous then you're really missing out. You can't scratch it off with a fingernail like you can with Tamiya. You can even put gum tape on it and lift it off and it won't disturb a gloss Aqueous finish.

Well I have 7 bottles of Mr Hobby aqueous.

They lurk in the dust on the top shelf of my paint bar.
Been there a long time so can only think I was not impressed.

Laurie

Laurie
Next spray session I will experiment with both.

Then I can give all my "inexpert" opinion. :D

Laurie

I use Tamiya and Mr Color for airbrush, however for hand brush, I did not find yet a good paint (lack of skills maybe)... what do you all use?

I use Tamiya and Mr Color for airbrush, however for hand brush, I did not find yet a good paint (lack of skills maybe)... what do you all use?
I use tamiya for airbrushing mostly like you but only vallejo for hand brushing, found it to be the best so far for laying down several layers especially on figures. Pantherman

For hand-brushing, I use Tamiya acrylics, but also water-based acrylics Andrea, Vallejo Model Color, Lifecolor, craft-store brands Folk Art, Apple Barrel and Americana, and Testor and Model Master enamels. The enamels I thin as necessary with mineral spirits

Laurie
I can't find the difference between Mr Hobby aqueous and tamiya acrylics, really

Agree.. I use tamiya acrylilcs and/or Mr Color lacquer, no Mr Hobby aqueous

I almost always hand bruch Tamiya X and XF paints. I very rarely airbrush those paints.

When I do need to thin them for a wash, or in the rare case I airbrush them, I use water. I hear people talk about clumping or other problems, but I have been using water for years with no issues at all.

Having said that. I recently started using Mr Leveling Thinner to thin Tamiya X, XF, and LP paints. And I must say that the Mr Leveling Thinner is great. It really does help the paints lay down smoother, and the paints seem to cure faster.

Latest posts

Back