Thinning Tamiya paint for brush painting.

You think so? My problem with Tamiya's clear acrylics is that they never fully harden. You can put masking tape down on their XF paints with no problems usually (although I belive it's their "Sky Blue" that always leaves masking tape patterns). Their gloss paints are disappointing. Hold a part for too long and your fingerprint will cook into the surface. Masking will just plain ruin the glossy surface. Car models typically demand a high-gloss finish. A few years ago I built an AMT Oldsmobile and made the choice to use Tamiya acrylics for the paint job. That caused a lot of headaches and I had to keep re-polishing the body. I'll never use Tamiya gloss acrylics for something like that ever again. OTOH, Mr. Hobby Aqueous, which was re-formulated a few years ago, dries very sturdily and is not affected by masking tape, fingerprints, etc.
I wonder what happened in your case?

Tamiya paints always dry fast for me. It is the main reason I use them. Other brands have more colors to choose from, but Tamiya paints perform better and dry faster. So I stick with them.

I wonder what happened in your case?

Tamiya paints always dry fast for me. It is the main reason I use them. Other brands have more colors to choose from, but Tamiya paints perform better and dry faster. So I stick with them.
Could not agree more.

Hand painting a maniacs choice they dry frantically quickly. You have no choice on shadowing etc. & on choosing your paint line accuracy.

Also so thin with hand painting you need some thickness & time to work with .

Laurie

Latest posts

Back