The Bench is down!

chukw

Faced with the imminent collapse of my studio's bookshelves, my dear wife consented equipping my man cave with new, custom shelves, incorporating a display case. Before I could stop myself, I suggested it would be a good time to paint the room. Wait- what the heck was I thinking? The results- are shown below.

Studio_001.jpg

Here's a shot of the shop in it's glory days- note the sagging, warped IKEA Billies- bad news!

Studio_002.jpg

Not a bad layout, but disorganized and cluttered. No lighting in the open display corner.

Studio_003.jpg

My happy place! The Me509 can be seen in the focal center of the room. ;)

Studio_004.jpg

The 4th corner of the room- all those balsa free-flight planes were built from sheet stock and tissue paper.

Studio_005.jpg

Another view of the eye of the storm- it should look familiar, in a way.

Studio_006.jpg

Some of my first balsa peanut planes.

Studio_007.jpg

Various denizens and artifacts fill the countless nooks and crannies.

Studio_008.jpg

Stripped to the bone! The work crew will be here this week to slap on some paint and put in the new shelves- and then it will be time to piece all that stuff back together!

Stay tuned- and cheers!
chuk

I know it is a job and a half and a bother, but look at it as a fresh start.
Besides you probably found some things you thought you lost a long time ago. ;D

Jim

Very Nice, Its a pain in the ass to move everything but worth it in the end

Nice, very nice if fact. I totally envy you guys with a whole room to dedicate to the hobby...If I had an entire room for modeling I would customize the crap out of it, kinda like how Scott did with his new room.

Hey, thanks, guys! While I've been languishing on the couch with a rotten virus, busy craftsmen have been painting and installing the new cabinetry- wow! Just one more to go and then the final details. All that's left will be for me to put it all back together! The lower shelves all have doors that will make the room much less cluttered. That challeges me to neaten up the upper areas- oh, noes! ;)

One "lucky" thing happened during this- I went to move my compressor off it's rubber mat and found a puddle of oil that hadn't quite made it to the carpet- whew! Of course, now I'll be taking that leaky beauty to Coast Airbrush in Anaheim to see if they can fix it. I'm pretty sure it's a Sil-Air by Werther of Italy- anyone familiar with this line? It's very similar to the Iwata Power Jet, right down to the handle on top. Darn good compressor, and apparentlt way pricey. A friend gave it to a friend who didn't know what to do with it- and he gave it to me!

Back in business! I've been repairing, cleaning, sorting and replacing. Some junk went out, and everything's spruced up and in place. The books are sorted largely by size- I'll have to get 'em more organized in the future. A few little bits still need to be sorted out, but I'm calling this project done.

Studio_009.jpg

Aw, yes- ready to go! I sorted through all those little drawers- junk went bye-bye!

Studio_010.jpg

The cabinets are really first-rate- and there's sapce for more books. Moar books, ploz! :D

Studio_011.jpg

The shelf replacing the windowsill was a nice surprise from my friend the contractor.

Studio_012.jpg

The beer light hung in my Dad's bar for years and years- here's to you, Pop!

Studio_013.jpg

The Golden Age wall, with a guest appearance by your slovenly host. Visible through the door is the computer desk I sit at as I I type these words, and where I create my girlie art.

Studio_014.jpg

At last a safe place to put the finished builds!

Studio_015.jpg

Eras of German aviation streak across the ceiling, and Jill St. John hands Sean Connery a martini in that Rutan Variviggen.

Studio_016.jpg

Now I can get back to the Me509- or should I repaint that nasty bum first? Oh, hell- the end!

Latest posts

Back