Tamiya Morris Mini Cooper 1275S Rally Car

Ian

Here's what on the bench for me next. Haven't built a car since returning to the hobby and am looking forward to it.

CMboQms.jpg

QvpJd84.jpg

QwnzHqi.jpg

vtG43Xg.jpg

Engine work coming together.

Priming the engine parts.

Various main colors.

I decided to try Mr. Masking Sol Neo for the first time for this build due to the small detailed parts that need to painted various colors.

Here it is drying on a front brake. I painted it on with a fine brush.

After the first color...

Mr. Masking Sol Neo removed... not bad!

And here are both brakes after hand painting the brake calipers.

The masking process again on another piece. Very easy to remove with a fine pick.

Simple tape masking was used for the parts sprayed black here.

And here we are with additional pieces glued in. I'd like to learn a better way to apply the glue to prevent the paint from dissolving. Is there one? Should I use CA instead?

Coming together now...

Now onto more small parts - prepping for priming.

o9N24Yc.jpg

To hold these tiny pieces I dremel drilled a small hole, and then pushed in a CA-dipped pin. Is there a better way to do this?

All for now.

Nice clean work Ian

look forward to seeing it come together.

One thing i found on this kit is the reat shelf seemed to leave a gap to the body of the car, might be cuz i didnt use the rear window but worth looking out for. i ended up making a new one from plastic sheet and sticking it over the old one.
Apart from that it built well

Love it already.

Have you tried scraping the paint off the surfaces you want to glue together ?

@Leighbo - thanks for the tip, I'll keep an eye on that.

@rookie - yup, did a bit of that when attaching the engine into its frame. There's still a bit of leakage on the edges but I probably have to expect some of that.

Ian, one of the things you can use is Gator Glue. Its an acrylic glue that dries very hard and dries clear.

I believe Scott at ECH has it. That's where I got mine at least.

Overall this is coming along very well! Keep up the good work!

P.S. If it is as cold in VT as it is down here in RI stay indoors and get some modeling done! ;)

Thanks for the Gator Glue suggestion, I will investigate.

VT is damn cold, in single digits these past coupe of days. Model room is warm though thank goodness.

Clean both parts and use an old cheap brush to apply the glue, don't use the brush that comes with the glue as it is way too big.

I use Revel 3/0 1/0 bushes depending on the size of the part. they cost about a Euro and its all there good for :)

No need for CA at all.

And wow Ian that is coming along Really nicely

Thanks for the gluing suggestion. When you say clean, do you mean scrape off the paint?

Minimal spraying tonight with wheel wheels and other little engine bits.

UDR0eW8.jpg

ZAFBF4s.jpg

VTtxiWX.jpg

iUSPxvG.jpg

eUhrWl2.jpg

Masked the red areas with Mr. Masking Sol Neo in prep for spraying X-18 Semi Gloss Black. This seemed easier than trying to do it with tape.

3v6L2VZ.jpg

sFyqW3s.jpg

All sprayed up.

atWFfZK.jpg

Not as clean as I'd hoped when removing the masking this morning. Perhaps I used too little?

034NJrV.jpg

yQTynjb.jpg

Nice job so far Ian! And what great photography! Maybe the masking fluid was a little thin? Or when you added more on the previous layer it was dry and the contact between the two made the old lift?

Yeah, I think it might have been too thin. Will be better next time.

Got the majority of the engine in place today. Looks a little rough in some spots, but weathering will help blend it all together.
Before installing, I sealed the main engine block with Alclad and that's why it's looking so flat now.

iUTKkKg.jpg

bBADOab.jpg

XXX86Lp.jpg

uj3jd3R.jpg

CZKyRwz.jpg

Coming along nicely Ian. I have a bottle of Mr Neo but have never used it, but I can see how much easier it is than masking on small and rounded surfaces. Might have to give it a go sometime. You plan on adding any wires or extra hoses ?

There's nothing that comes with the kit in terms of hoses, but it does look a little bare in there. A few more parts go on top in the next couple of instruction blocks.

Some underneath work today with the exhaust and engine protection panel.

iJdoMjm.jpg

fYmiyrA.jpg

L3umBOk.jpg

I also got a chance to seal the whole engine area again with Alclad's "Klear Kote Light Sheen" and it looks a lot nicer now.

rp5NJjo.jpg

Bit of weathering on the engine today. Combination of various AK washes and effects.

R9zXuhe.jpg

MLXiyKx.jpg

Latest posts

Back