Order of events in regards to painting car body

SF-Giants

Hi All,
What are the order of events when preparing and painting a car body? Would it be the following?
1. Sand down mold marks
2. Spray primer
3. Spray body color
4. Add metal foil if needed
5. Spray clear coat
6 Add decals if needed

Any guidance would be great.
Thanks!

I’m all over the map when it comes to building a model car kit. Model car kits usually don’t have mold marks on the exterior. Interior… maybe; but I don’t waste my time sanding them down since you’re not going to see it anyway - especially when you install the windshield piece.

My typical order when working on car bodies…

Prime
Body color - at least a 2 or 3 light coats
Gloss clearcoat
Decals
Gloss clearcoat - to seal in decals
Bare Metal Foil - this is always my last step.

You really only need to do one gloss coat. Just make sure it has 3-4 layers so when you whet sand it doesnt peel all the gloss coat off.

Add decals BEFORE clear coat
After clear coat - paint trim and other bits that wont be gloss
I disagree with this.

There’s really no mold marks on exterior car bodies. Interior, maybe. I usually don’t waste my energy sanding the interior mold marks. You’re not gonna see it once it’s all built up - even if you add flocking material in interior tub. Interior roof - don5 even do that either. Once you add the windshield piece, you’re not gonna see it

This is my typical method…

Prime
Body color - I typically spray 2 - 3 light coats. Rarely I’ll spray a 4th light coat for good measures
Gloss clearcoat
Decals
Gloss clearcoat again - to seal in the decals. Some folks wet sand and spray additional gloss clear. I have yet tried it.
Bare Metal Foil applications - I always do this last.

You really only need to do one gloss coat. Just make sure it has 3-4 layers so when you whet sand it doesnt peel all the gloss coat off.
My method has always worked well for me. Like I said, I never wet sand. Some folks use Gauzy Agent Glass Coat for that glass like gloss coat. No need to wet sand.
I planned on trying Gauzey Agent Glass Coat soon.

I disagree with this.

There’s really no mold marks on exterior car bodies. Interior, maybe. I usually don’t waste my energy sanding the interior mold marks. You’re not gonna see it once it’s all built up - even if you add flocking material in interior tub. Interior roof - don5 even do that either. Once you add the windshield piece, you’re not gonna see it

This is my typical method…

Prime
Body color - I typically spray 2 - 3 light coats. Rarely I’ll spray a 4th light coat for good measures
Gloss clearcoat
Decals
Gloss clearcoat again - to seal in the decals. Some folks wet sand and spray additional gloss clear. I have yet tried it.
Bare Metal Foil applications - I always do this last.
Based off the order of your steps, I think you are actually agreeing with me lol.
My order:
Prime
Body color
"decals
gloss coat"
whet sand
trim and bare metal

if you do trim BEFORE gloss then areas that are meant to be semi gloss or matte will show up at gloss

Based off the order of your steps, I think you are actually agreeing with me lol.
My order:
Prime
Body color
"decals
gloss coat"
whet sand
trim and bare metal

if you do trim BEFORE gloss then areas that are meant to be semi gloss or matte will show up at gloss
I gloss coat twice, never wet sand.

I don't know what cars you're building, but even Tamiya has mould seams and flash, and sink marks...
I always sand down the body to 1000g
Primer, Paint, Decals,
Clear, Wet sand, Polish, BMF
I’m all over the map when it comes to building a model car kit. Model car kits usually don’t have mold marks on the exterior. Interior… maybe; but I don’t waste my time sanding them down since you’re not going to see it anyway - especially when you install the windshield piece.

My typical order when working on car bodies…

Prime
Body color - at least a 2 or 3 light coats
Gloss clearcoat
Decals
Gloss clearcoat - to seal in decals
Bare Metal Foil - this is always my last step.

I gloss coat twice, never wet sand.
Hate to break it to ya but if you don't wet sand, you're never going to get a smooth glossy coat. Inevitably the way the gloss coat cures will reveal orange peel and slight imperfections. Hence, needing to wet sand a polish. I spent hours sanding the model I attached in this pic and it still isn't perfect. Might want to give it a try.

IMG_6205.jpg

Hate to break it to ya but if you don't wet sand, you're never going to get a smooth glossy coat. Inevitably the way the gloss coat cures will reveal orange peel and slight imperfections. Hence, needing to wet sand a polish. I spent hours sanding the model I attached in this pic and it still isn't perfect. Might want to give it a try.

View attachment 114744
I don’t care and I don’t build Tamiya auto kits. Never had an interests in imports or racers. Mostly muscle cars and classics. I could care less on super mirror glass like look. Besides, I don’t have that kind of patience polishing to a mirror shine.

Last edited:
I don't know what cars you're building, but even Tamiya has mould seams and flash, and sink marks...
I always sand down the body to 1000g
Primer, Paint, Decals,
Clear, Wet sand, Polish, BMF
I don’t build Tamiya auto kits. Not a huge fan of imports, ricers, racers. I prefer building classics and muscle cars.

In all honesty, I build for my relaxation & enjoyment. Therefore, I’m happy with the outcome regardless. I never enter any contests in shows nor plan to. So… why should I waste hours wet sanding & polishing in trying to achieve a mirror shine? Who am I really going to impress?

In all honesty, I build for my relaxation & enjoyment. Therefore, I’m happy with the outcome regardless. I never enter any contests in shows nor plan to. So… why should I waste hours wet sanding & polishing in trying to achieve a mirror shine? Who am I really going to impress?
I couldn't agree more!!

Latest posts

Back