Tamiya Morris Mini Cooper 1275S Rally Car

Slow going on this one, lots of parts.

Handbrake and foot pedals installed.

M0VNwJZ.jpg

More primed parts.

EYi5suq.jpg

Y9TKp25.jpg

7ZWIRT1.jpg

Work on the seats tonight took a turn for the worse with the Tamiya masking tape lifting off my primer and main color in one go. Maybe I'm not cleaning the plastic well enough at the start? I've had this happen a bunch of times now and I know the plastic's been scrubbed well for some of those instances.

I'm a little tempted to try Alclad's Lacquer-based White Primer and Microfiller to see how that behaves, but can I shoot Tamiya acrylics on top of that?

This Vallejo primer is also quite 'textured' (which I know is the idea for primer) but this seems almost too much.

N4psw55.jpg

cV0nTLR.jpg

hEUnTmy.jpg

Continuing to add interior details.

XMuUeiQ.jpg

8PEqueg.jpg

5EOOLw4.jpg

8NGeTH6.jpg

Looken good Ian. Do you prime and paint each sub assembly as your working on it or do you have it all primed and painted before you assemble it and are just assembling everything is time permits ?

Looking good Ian. The lifting paint is odd,I've never had that problem with tamiya tape. I hardly ever wash my parts
( my bad I know ) but I doesn't seem to be a problem with your major kit manufacturers. I only ever prime the major outside surfaces, sometimes just with a base coat of a nuetral color or vallejos grey primer.... Maybe you could try reducing the tackiness of the tape by laying it down on a surface before priming, in my experience it won't reduce the effectiveness of it in regards to seepage etc.
Anyway it's coming along nicely, it must be a rather small even in 1/24 ?

hooterville75 said:
Looken good Ian. Do you prime and paint each sub assembly as your working on it or do you have it all primed and painted before you assemble it and are just assembling everything is time permits ?

I'm doing it in sub-assemblies so there's less parts to worry about at one time, but it takes a lot longer that way. Might not be the best method, since this is my first real car kit.

rookie said:
Looking good Ian. The lifting paint is odd,I've never had that problem with tamiya tape. I hardly ever wash my parts
( my bad I know ) but I doesn't seem to be a problem with your major kit manufacturers. I only ever prime the major outside surfaces, sometimes just with a base coat of a nuetral color or vallejos grey primer.... Maybe you could try reducing the tackiness of the tape by laying it down on a surface before priming, in my experience it won't reduce the effectiveness of it in regards to seepage etc.
Anyway it's coming along nicely, it must be a rather small even in 1/24 ?

Yeah, not sure what's going on. Maybe I need more drying time, or just a change of paint. The Alclad has very positive reviews but being lacquer it's a little more harmful to deal with. I do have proper venting and a respirator though so maybe it's worth giving it a shot.

This is coming along really nice Ian, Keep up the good work :)

Starting to look a little more car like now. Dashboard and seats are in, roll bar is next. I'll do some interior weathering too, before putting on the body.

3U9aKXF.jpg

5MbXarA.jpg

wxDkOvD.jpg

KHQQLsr.jpg

Ian, are the gauges aftermarket ? If not can you explain the secret of making them look so realistic ? I could use this knowledge when doing all my Nascar builds because all the dashboards have different gauges on. Thanks in advance for the info man. Looken good.

Yup, just the supplied decals. I did a little trimming so that they fit better, and then highlighted with a silver sharpie.

Nice Ian. I need to find some aftermarket decals for gauges for all the race car builds I have to do OR get a lot better at brush painting because these gauges are so blasten small ha ha ha. Keep up the pics man Love watchen the progress your making on this build. Great job to this point in the build.

Weathered the interior a little and got the roll bar in place.

BJzETmu.jpg

FR9bohK.jpg

Xw6IQlF.jpg

MSNhe1m.jpg

Also finished the engine detailing.

LXzOyrW.jpg

Masked and sprayed the inside door panel sections.

FEkcaq0.jpg

L4Qdn9X.jpg

My Alclad II Grey Primer lacquer arrived too, so I tested it on the car hood and roof.
Sprayed absolutely beautifully, dried instantly, and I think I'm in love!

VQySkln.jpg

RrCuV8K.jpg

Ok! This evening I got the main color on the roof, using a new technique I learned from Tamyia's paint thinning page. They say you can thin the acrylics range using their own lacquer thinner, thereby changes it's properties, making it faster drying and a tougher finish.

After my success with the Alclad primer I thought I'd try this and low and behold the results were amazing.
My usual thinning ratio is 1:1 color and acrylic thinner - and I applied the same rules with the roof but it came out way to thin. For the car hood I changed it to 2:1 color and lacquer thinner and that consistency was much better.

This obviously goes against the idea of using acrylics in place of more harmful lacquers, but the finish I'm getting (at least this for this build) outweighs the negatives. I'm also lucky to have good air extraction in my spray booth and a face mask.

Primed the full car body as well this evening but didn't have as good results as the previous evening. The finish was a little 'grittier', but a bit of buffing I've found is taking off the edge. Not sure why this is happening though.

Ian said:

I like how you adjusted the primer pealing off with the masking tape. I think it is an awesome adaptation given the situation. Great touch and it looks really authentic, like it was planned all along. Great job with this build, and look forward for more progress.

Latest posts

Back